Keith Olbermann lights Steve Simmons up

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Just read the PPP article http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...us&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter,tells you all you need to know about Simmons and his story.

First, we're assuming the new article guy knows where Phil lives

Second, even if SS totally made up the hot dog part to serve as an attention grab, the rest of the story was 100% accurate.

The story was never about the hot dog. The story was that Phil was deemed to not be a positive influence on this team going forward and that Phil quit on the team. That part is 100% true. If it wasnt Shanny wouldnt have traded him.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

Second, even if SS totally made up the hot dog part to serve as an attention grab, the rest of the story was 100% accurate.

The story was never about the hot dog. The story was that Phil was deemed to not be a positive influence on this team going forward and that Phil quit on the team. That part is 100% true. If it wasnt Shanny wouldnt have traded him.
Thats quite the assumption. There are many reasons Shanny may have felt the need to trade Phil. The story was a poorly written hatchet job, otherwise known as a typical Steve Simmons article.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Depends on the reason they get traded.

Kessel was a highly touted up and coming goal scorer and Boston felt he couldnt cut it on a team that was headed to a championship. They traded him, and they soon after won a championship. Would they have won a Stanley Cup with Kessel? Personally, I dont think so. Regardless of my opinion, Boston was building a good group, and felt Kessel shouldnt be a part of it.

Kessel plays for the Leafs and leads the team to horrific season after horrific season. The new management gives him a year to prove himself, and he has a brutal 2nd half of the season along with the rest of the team, and quits on the team. As a group management determines he needs to be removed at all costs. They put him on the market and only ONE team makes a serious bid for him.

So sure, good players get traded from time to time, but its usually not because the team moving them thinks they are a pariah in the room. And when good players do get put on the block, there is a lineup around the block for their services. Proof is in the pudding with the interest in Phil. If he wasnt a negative, why weren't more teams knocking down Shannys door to get him? Maybe they dont have hot dog vendors to cater to Kessel.

Guess Dougie Hamilton is a problem too...so was Seguin.

It's a cap world, teams don't simply line up for a player earning top dollars with term.

Simmon's article is a witch hunt -- and a stab on the back of someone who's already out the door -- you don't need to have anywhere close to perfect vision to see it for what it is.

That said, trading Kessel makes sense...the Leafs just drafted Marner at 4...they need to finish low again next season to draft another elite prospect as part of the core going forward...having Kessel around won't help with the rebuild or the tank.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Thats quite the assumption. There are many reasons Shanny may have felt the need to trade Phil. The story was a poorly written hatchet job, otherwise known as a typical Steve Simmons article.

No.

Shanny specifically said we need a culture change. The guy they were most desperate to get out the door was Phil.

Babcock said we want guys who play the right way. If he thought Phil could be that guy, he would have used his stroke to keep him.

Its amazing how many people on here are blind to what Phil was.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Depends on the reason they get traded.

Kessel was a highly touted up and coming goal scorer and Boston felt he couldnt cut it on a team that was headed to a championship. They traded him, and they soon after won a championship. Would they have won a Stanley Cup with Kessel? Personally, I dont think so. Regardless of my opinion, Boston was building a good group, and felt Kessel shouldnt be a part of it.

Kessel plays for the Leafs and leads the team to horrific season after horrific season. The new management gives him a year to prove himself, and he has a brutal 2nd half of the season along with the rest of the team, and quits on the team. As a group management determines he needs to be removed at all costs. They put him on the market and only ONE team makes a serious bid for him.

So sure, good players get traded from time to time, but its usually not because the team moving them thinks they are a pariah in the room. And when good players do get put on the block, there is a lineup around the block for their services. Proof is in the pudding with the interest in Phil. If he wasnt a negative, why weren't more teams knocking down Shannys door to get him? Maybe they dont have hot dog vendors to cater to Kessel.

Thats not why Boston traded Kessel.
We have no idea how many teams were offering what for Kessel nor whether he was willing to go to them.

A small suggestion for you. The media is very often wrong. You should probably stop using them to formulate your opinions.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Guess Dougie Hamilton is a problem too...so was Seguin.

It's a cap world, teams don't simply line up for a player earning top dollars with term.

Simmon's article is a witch hunt -- and a stab on the back of someone who's already out the door -- you don't need to have anywhere close to perfect vision to see it for what it is.

That said, trading Kessel makes sense...the Leafs just drafted Marner at 4...they need to finish low again next season to draft another elite prospect as part of the core going forward...having Kessel around won't help with the rebuild or the tank.

Dougie is such a terrible example. Some of the insiders reported that teams were upset they didnt know Dougie was on the block.

That said, I dont know the whole story about why Boston didnt want to keep Dougie. Could have been just a money thing, but that doesnt seem to be the case. Tyler was definitely a culture fit thing.

Again, how is it a witch hunt when he was traded for the things mentioned in the article. Of which Shanny basically said himself, without actually saying it.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
There's no assumption because he actually provides a screenshot of Kessel's address and phone number (blurred out for privacy reasons).

Maybe another P Kessel lives in Toronto. Its a big city.

Maybe Phil wheels down to another hot dog vendor (which happens to be close to his place of work BTW).

Again, its an irrelevant line to the sum of the article.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
No.

Shanny specifically said we need a culture change. The guy they were most desperate to get out the door was Phil.

Babcock said we want guys who play the right way. If he thought Phil could be that guy, he would have used his stroke to keep him.

Its amazing how many people on here are blind to what Phil was.

Not playing Babcocks way does not make one a bad guy. Maybe Kessel isnt the type of player Babs wanted. There are going to be many players traded in and out of Toronto in the next several years.

Keep swinging away though. If being blind means actually trying to know the whole story before posting things i couldnt possibly know as facts, Ill gladly be blind. You go ahead and keep recycling Simmons articles as wisdom ;)

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Thats not why Boston traded Kessel.
We have no idea how many teams were offering what for Kessel nor whether he was willing to go to them.

A small suggestion for you. The media is very often wrong. You should probably stop using them to formulate your opinions.

My negative opinion on Phil is 100% based on watching him perform. If more people actually watched him play they would come to the same conclusion.

Fact is I actually dislike Simmons as a reporter, I find he has very little of interest to say. But in this case, he was spot. Except about the hot dogs, maybe he made that up for show. But that was only one or two sentences.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Of which Shanny basically said himself, without actually saying it.

This is classic. Im done for the night. If I keep going Im gonna pee myself laughing. Keep up the good work of explaining what people actually mean when they talk.

Edit- followed up by the classic 'if you actually watched him play' line.

I have almost every single game from last year recorded. Anytime yiu want to come over and explain to me how bad of a person you can tell he is from watching it, im game.

Have a good night

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Simmons vs Sundin (career ending injury?)
Simmons vs Dana White (UFC on its way down?)
Simmons vs Jose Bautista (Twittergate)
Simmons vs Hot dogs

Has Simmons ever posted anything that made you say "that was intelligent"?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Not playing Babcocks way does not make one a bad guy. Maybe Kessel isnt the type of player Babs wanted. There are going to be many players traded in and out of Toronto in the next several years.

Keep swinging away though. If being blind means actually trying to know the whole story before posting things i couldnt possibly know as facts, Ill gladly be blind. You go ahead and keep recycling Simmons articles as wisdom ;)

I have been down on Kessel for a long time.

You guys are the Simmons nut huggers, not me

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

I hope Steve Simmons gets blacklisted in the media world just like Al Strachan did.

He has a long history of being a complete dirt bag who adds nothing and doesn't get his fact straight.

A reputable organization like TSN should be ashamed to employ him.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Simmons vs Sundin (career ending injury?)
Simmons vs Dana White (UFC on its way down?)
Simmons vs Jose Bautista (Twittergate)
Simmons vs Hot dogs

Has Simmons ever posted anything that made you say "that was intelligent"?

Aah yes, Sundin. That other lockerroom cancer that the new GM could not wait to offload. Wait wasnt he traded as a young guy too from a team that won the Cup shortly after?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
This is classic. Im done for the night. If I keep going Im gonna pee myself laughing. Keep up the good work of explaining what people actually mean when they talk.

Edit- followed up by the classic 'if you actually watched him play' line.

I have almost every single game from last year recorded. Anytime yiu want to come over and explain to me how bad of a person you can tell he is from watching it, im game.

Have a good night

I never said he was a bad person. Maybe he saves whales.

I said he was a bad influence as a teammate.

Totally different things. Nuances can be difficult.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

There's evidence in the story man, the rest of the Simmons story was hatchet job by a guy who specializes in such things for a so called news organization that specializes in such things. That Kessel quit may or not be true but you cannot establish that it's 100% true. I've seen many stories that Phil despite his public persona, put forth by great journalists such as Simmons, was a teammate who was viewed mostly as positive by his teammates.
Secondly if you think it's ok for SS to fabricate something as a "attention grab" and still maintain any journalistic integrity we are just not from the same planet.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
There's evidence in the story man, the rest of the Simmons story was hatchet job by a guy who specializes in such things for a so called news organization that specializes in such things. That Kessel quit may or not be true but you cannot establish that it's 100% true. I've seen many stories that Phil despite his public persona, put forth by great journalists such as Simmons, was a teammate who was viewed mostly as positive by his teammates.
Secondly if you think it's ok for SS to fabricate something as a "attention grab" and still maintain any journalistic integrity we are just not from the same planet.

All Kessels teammates lie. All good positive comments are lies. Only bad stuff said by Steve Simmons and twisting words not said by people to suit your agenda are truths. Just watch Kessel play man. its obbious that he was dragging his teammates down.

Just watch how much better they are this season!!

Its a true because I say so my friend! I can see it!

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
All Kessels teammates lie. All good positive comments are lies. Only bad stuff said by Steve Simmons and twisting words not said by people to suit your agenda are truths. Just watch Kessel play man. its obbious that he was dragging his teammates down.

I hate the witch hunt PC world we have become, but I hope TSN looks into this. On a show called The Reporters journalistic integrity should be paramount. The Sun will be too busy blasting Paul Bernardo all over its pages cause he applied for parole he will never get.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

When you're defending an article written by Simmons you should probably reevaluate your position.

The guy blatantly lied in the article: how can you take anyting else he says seriously... He's lost all integrity.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013

Annnnnnnd I peed

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Steve Simmons is the ultimate troll.

He knows exactly how to wind up the people in this market with his writing.

Every article he writes that has vaguely controversial tones, ends up all over twitter / it's own thread here / etc.

He's successfully managed to get everyone talking about him, and on a big weekend as well.

He knows how to get people to react and that's why the Toronto Sun will never fire him - because regardless of his journalistic integrity, people still pay attention to him.

Steve Simmons - successfully trolling a fanbase for years & years & years.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Zero aside from the maple leafs. Get off your high horse.

Half the small market teams with less revenue are literally kept afloat by the Leafs ridiculously high revenue. There's no high horse here. The Leafs are the driving force of the cap and are the biggest market in hockey history. That will never change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad