Keith Olbermann lights Steve Simmons up

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
This is year 2 of his Presidency. He should have a GM by now. It may have helped this draft when teams all around us were making deals. Time will tell, if having no GM is the correct model. I don't know if having no GM in place has ever worked.

Nonis was fired in April.

Sure, you can criticize him for not naming a GM in the few months since then if you want. What I'm saying is, classifying Shanahan's time here as "another bad regime" is so very premature.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Well, we do know that Burke's first year resulted in the 2nd. worst team in the league, and that was after signing Beauchemin, Komisarek and acquiring Kessel and Phaneuf.

Burke was so far out of touch, JFj told the world the team needed to rebuild, and he was considered a poor GM. Burke was supposed to be a savior and he decides to mortgage the future for a player the Bruins didn't want to re-sign.

We said a decade ago it should be blowed up, JFj tried, Burke said he knew better than everyone and here we are today ... blowing it up.

There is a gamble with Shanahan's plan, but we know Burke's plan failed.

They all failed. The last successful GM we had was Quinn really. Even Mike Smith had more success.

All we know is we have another plan, going into year 2. No GM in place at the draft or free agency. I don't know if reinventing the wheel always works. This is a new rebuild/hybrid/retool. Only time will tell if it will be successful.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
A bad regime under Shanahan? Are you for real?

:shakehead

I'm not sure Shanahan has been around long enough to call his regime "bad" but it certainly hasn't been good so far.

Last year was maybe the most painful season I've had to watch as a Leaf fan and now he pretty much put himself in a position where he was forced to trade away the best forward this team has had in almost a decade.

His handling of the coaching staff last year was awful. His handling of the media isn't strong as the team had to deal with a constant circus all of last season. Really the only thing he's done so far is shown the ability to fire and hire people.

While it certainly looks like he'll be given ample time to redeem himself- and he very well could- he still has a ton to prove.

To be honest, and I hate to admit it, I actually agreed with most of what Olbermann said. The attitude around the Leafs right now is a joke. Simmons personified it.

JEAN GREY

Jul 1, 2015
Why? I thought his article and the Cathal Kelly piece on the Leafs dressing room pretty much touched on all the character flaws with the team. Management's actions would also indicate this is what they're thinking too.

Simmons doesn't have the best reputation, but what he's saying isn't wrong.

The way he said it is incendiary, but Simmons is spot on about culture change. Kessel's character issues, specifically being hard to coach, and dogging it went from whispers to cries; he makes sure to hit his 30 goal mark, but leadership by example with effort, backchecking, etc., are not exactly his forte. He COULD do it, the talent is there, but he didn't.

Boston, Leafs, Team USA - these traits have followed him throughout. He is who he is. At least Pens know what they're getting, but let's not pretend like his attitude on the team was not an issue.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The way he said it is incendiary, but Simmons is spot on about culture change. Kessel's character issues, specifically being hard to coach, and dogging it went from whispers to cries; he makes sure to hit his 30 goal mark, but leadership by example with effort, backchecking, etc., are not exactly his forte. He COULD do it, the talent is there, but he didn't.

Boston, Leafs, Team USA - these traits have followed him throughout. He is who he is. At least Pens know what they're getting, but let's not pretend like his attitude on the team was not an issue.

Agreed

I mean really... is this untrue?

And now he’s gone. Just like that. The Maple Leafs could no longer stomach having Kessel around, the first player to be both punished and rewarded for the saddest Leafs season in history. The Leafs held their breath, plugged their noses, and ostensibly gave Kessel to the Pittsburgh Penguins because they couldn’t stand having him around anymore.

Really, this was as much about illness and insomnia as anything else: The Leafs were sick and tired of Kessel.

Sick of his act. Tired of his lack of responsibility. Unwilling to begin any reset or rebuild with their highest-paid, most talented, least-dedicated player. He didn’t eat right, train right, play right. This had to happen for Brendan Shanahan to begin his rebuilding of the Leafs. Separation between the Leafs and Kessel became necessary when it grew more and more apparent with time that everything Shanahan values was upended by Kessel’s singular, laissez-faire, flippant, mostly uncoachable ways.

Anyway, no fan of Simmons, not a fan of Olberman either. One hack, hacking at another hack.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Or maybe in this case he's saying things that are legit

Kessel is the first one off the ice - true
Kessel is out of shape - False, he has been in the top 3 for fitness testing since joining the leafs.
Kessel is negative on the ice - You have no way of knowing this unless you are on the bench.
Kessel quit on the team - The TEAM quit, 23 guys play the game.
Kessel makes the most money -true but he was paid to score goals not be a leader.
Kessel gets a hot dog every day - More intrusive ********. Who cares that he likes hotdogs. The media truly reports on stuff they have no business talking about.

Fixed that for you

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Didn't the Leafs just spend the 4th and 8th overall picks on two wingers, while having no #1C or #1D prospect in the system? It's a mistake by Burke to trade 2 top picks for Kessel but it's ok for Shanny to use two premium picks on smallish wingers??

If you can get two Kessel's for one, what's wrong with that. :help:

Trigger96

Mar 3, 2006
The problem with the Toronto Maple Leafs is all the winning before 1967 went to our heads. Now there are just too many voices, too many experts. especially in the media.

I think this guy could've done a way better job of ripping Simmonds though, instead of just pointing out that we haven't won anything since 1967 and calling out management after management. Heck, they all believed in Kessel, and we did too for a time. We just lost hope and so did the Team.

I find it surprising that everyone jumps on the back of a fan like Simmonds and praises some guy who just called us a Joke for 40 years.

Everyone wanted Kessel gone, now that it's happened nobody is happy with the return and everyone's an expert again.

Jeez who saw that comin'?

Simmonds is just a guy trying to start controversy 'cause it's his job. It's a shame that he had to do it by spoiling his reputation, yet again, by attacking the player in an unprofessional way. Spewing something that was probably false in the first place.

Now all our players read this crap and have to feel like they are being stalked all day by angry fans who get paid to harass them in the media. Fans that are so passionate they become hockey writers so they don't have to go out and get REAL jobs.

I guess he did his job 'cause we're all still talking about it and he's making $

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Hilarious

And I'm not saying Olbermann is that good either, but he's above Simmons by a lot ... Simmons is that bad

I've been saying the same thing for years and no one thought I was Hilarious.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
68 points in year 1 of his Presidency. At this point, it is fair to say no one even knows if his plan will work. Even his fans. So no one should be saying Shanahan has been a success.

Time will tell if he is or just the one of many since JFJ that tried or one that actually won like Imlach did.

whoa man

Don't bring up actual stats. His presidential Corsi is through the roof! :sarcasm:
The Shanny love is actually quite impressive. Gooble gobble one of us!

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
The problem with the Toronto Maple Leafs is all the winning before 1967 went to our heads. Now there are just too many voices, too many experts. especially in the media.

I think this guy could've done a way better job of ripping Simmonds though, instead of just pointing out that we haven't won anything since 1967 and calling out management after management. Heck, they all believed in Kessel, and we did too for a time. We just lost hope and so did the Team.

I find it surprising that everyone jumps on the back of a fan like Simmonds and praises some guy who just called us a Joke for 40 years.

Everyone wanted Kessel gone, now that it's happened nobody is happy with the return and everyone's an expert again.

Jeez who saw that comin'?

Simmonds is just a guy trying to start controversy 'cause it's his job. It's a shame that he had to do it by spoiling his reputation, yet again, by attacking the player in an unprofessional way. Spewing something that was probably false in the first place.

Now all our players read this crap and have to feel like they are being stalked all day by angry fans who get paid to harass them in the media. Fans that are so passionate they become hockey writers so they don't have to go out and get REAL jobs.

I guess he did his job 'cause we're all still talking about it and he's making $

Wayne Simmonds moonlights as a reporter?...Busy guy.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I guess it's true. As much as I hate outsiders (or insiders) trashing my team, I agree with what he identifies as the culprit. Management, as directed, by ownership.

That's the way I felt watching it. Especially Olbermann, that smug ******* lol

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Seems odd that two separate teams decided this pillar of professionalism was not worthy of being in their locker-room.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Olbermann is every bit the hack Simmons is. Both use half truths and condescending style to push their agendas. I don't put any stock into either of these self promoters opinions.

Sounds like someone posting on this very thread.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
That's the way I felt watching it. Especially Olbermann, that smug ******* lol

The criticism of the Leafs organization is mostly true and deserved, having seen every year since the Cup there have been a few periods of relief but its been mostly a train wreck, we sure didn't need the great Olbermann to bring this to light. His audience is mostly unaware I suppose.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Kessel went to a hot dog stand outside his condo everyday

My god

And Simmons must have camped outside Kessel's door every single day to have witnessed it. :laugh: Says more about Simmons then it does about Kessel.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Yup, good guys never get traded
:sarcasm:

Keep going, youre doing well do far

Depends on the reason they get traded.

Kessel was a highly touted up and coming goal scorer and Boston felt he couldnt cut it on a team that was headed to a championship. They traded him, and they soon after won a championship. Would they have won a Stanley Cup with Kessel? Personally, I dont think so. Regardless of my opinion, Boston was building a good group, and felt Kessel shouldnt be a part of it.

Kessel plays for the Leafs and leads the team to horrific season after horrific season. The new management gives him a year to prove himself, and he has a brutal 2nd half of the season along with the rest of the team, and quits on the team. As a group management determines he needs to be removed at all costs. They put him on the market and only ONE team makes a serious bid for him.

So sure, good players get traded from time to time, but its usually not because the team moving them thinks they are a pariah in the room. And when good players do get put on the block, there is a lineup around the block for their services. Proof is in the pudding with the interest in Phil. If he wasnt a negative, why weren't more teams knocking down Shannys door to get him? Maybe they dont have hot dog vendors to cater to Kessel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad