Keith Olbermann lights Steve Simmons up

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Skip to about 2:20.

Finally, a mainstream media guy exposing Simmons for what he really is. A hack. A true hack.

As far as Kessel goes, he's absolutely not without fault and this trade was needed to change the culture and finally start the rebuild, the blame of the previous era should fall squarely on Brian Burke and Dave Nonis, for relying on complementary players to be your core pieces and then building a **** team around them.

Just a warning it is very critical of the Leafs (mostly management), but it's not like it's undeserved.

Last edited:

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
"Unpopular, egg shaped, meaning goal scoring expert Phil Kessel."

mikebel111*

I like this a lot.

Its not Phil's fault that Burke and Nonis decided to build around him, and than of course fail to surround him with good talent. Also giving him a poor excuse of a C in Bozak isn't great either

Simmonds, can you just go away?

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Simmonds is the worst writer i think i have ever seen. SHould be writing for US Weekly rather than a sports column.

Guy is a shmuk.....fire him please.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
wow.

I guess it's true. As much as I hate outsiders (or insiders) trashing my team, I agree with what he identifies as the culprit. Management, as directed, by ownership. What Shanny is saying now is what needs to be done to get us back on track, but that doesn't mean we will do all the right things. Resign the right players. Make the right trades, or at least get back the right value. But the fundamentals of this plan is correct.

Phil isn't to blame, in my eyes. He's just a decent piece added at the wrong time. Also, any decent GM should know to have a 1C or premium D in place before adding the finishing touch that is scoring wingers. Huge mistake by Burke. Just as big to read the team improperly the way Nonis did and resign Phaneuf and Kessel and carry on on this garbage path. We should've drafted top 2 or 3 in 2014, luckily we got a top 3 talent in Nylander.

I wonder if it really was Nonis' idea to resign Kessel and Phaneuf. I have a hard time believing he's that stupid. But I thought Burke was smart, so who knows. The one common theme is still ownership.

What I worry about is if the time comes that we get a sniff at the playoffs, do we start to make expensive asset moves in order to compete, or do we continue to build and add assets through the draft. Allowing our coaching staff to polish the rough diamonds that our scouting staff finds.

Looking at Chicago, they signed a couple key free agents and mostly continuously cycle in prospects the team has found and replace them with more picks as they become too expensive as peripheral players.

That's a great system based on 3-4 players. Focus on the ones that help you win the most and keep recycling the secondary guys for more picks that your management makes great use of.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
giphy.gif

Silent Knight

45 RULES
Nov 6, 2010
Cypress Creek
Finally, a mainstream media guy exposing Simmons for what he really is. A hack. A true hack.
A mainstream media guy? Keith Olbermann is a ridiculous political/sports commentator working for a disrepute network in MSNBC. Let's not forget Keith's ridiculous comment in regard to "giving the Leafs back to the league and allowing for an expansion franchise to take it's place" , the guy is even a bigger goof than Simmons, only thing is Simmons even though he's ridiculous in how he presents his comments, he was right in some ways just again ridiculous in the way he wants to sell himself by being over the top, much like MSNBC in general, stupid inglorious commentating and so called "reporting". :nod:

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

:laugh: Pretty much this.

Except for the part where he talked about how the league didn't need Toronto... lol what a goof. Which sports league doesn't need it's most valuable franchise?

But he was spot on about Simmonds being... well Simmonds.

Rufio65*

Also, any decent GM should know to have a 1C or premium D in place before adding the finishing touch that is scoring wingers. Huge mistake by Burke.

Didn't the Leafs just spend the 4th and 8th overall picks on two wingers, while having no #1C or #1D prospect in the system? It's a mistake by Burke to trade 2 top picks for Kessel but it's ok for Shanny to use two premium picks on smallish wingers??

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Phil had a lot of deficiencies with his game and playing style, but the primary reason why he had to go is because of what kind of person he was in relation to the identity the Leafs want to have. It wasn't the right fit.

Keith Olbermann is a POS too.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Yeah uh this is far from the first time Simmons has been called out for being a terrible hack and yet he still gets paid to write about hockey, so don't get your hopes up.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah uh this is far from the first time Simmons has been called out for being a terrible hack and yet he still gets paid to write about hockey, so don't get your hopes up.

Why? I thought his article and the Cathal Kelly piece on the Leafs dressing room pretty much touched on all the character flaws with the team. Management's actions would also indicate this is what they're thinking too.

Simmons doesn't have the best reputation, but what he's saying isn't wrong.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com

Oh it's worse though.

Now he's on TV and the radio with TSN all the time! :shakehead

I was accidentally tuned into 1050 on my way home today and when I heard Simonns come on I had time to hear him ask Dave Hodge if he thinks Kessel is the most hated Toronto sports figure in history behind Vince Carter (Hodge then said no, he's not hated) before changing over to 590.

I actually very rarely go to 1050 simply because he could show up at any time. If he wasn't on there I'd be tuning in daily.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Why? I thought his article and the Cathal Kelly piece on the Leafs dressing room pretty much touched on all the character flaws with the team. Management's actions would also indicate this is what they're thinking too.

Simmons doesn't have the best reputation, but what he's saying isn't wrong.

Simmons may have a point about "culture change", although I don't buy into it at all, but his harping on about the hot dog and Kessel's diet (which I guarantee Simmons has no insider information about) and saying that the return for Kessel is irrelevant are both obviously wrong. Also he's a terrible writer.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Who is this fool? Why is he sticking his yankee nose into hockey? Simmons is our clown, we can bash him, but he is off limits to outsiders. Like n word.

This guy seems to be very similar to Simmons.

"pretend Toronto is a key city in the NHL"

Get real. How many NHL teams do we keep in operation.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Usually Simmons is good at trolling the public and getting easy click bait, but this is just bad. I mean it really smells of poor journalism. I almost feel bad for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad