TSN: Keith Gretzky leaving Bruins to become Oilers AGM

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
What mess have we cleaned up since Chia left? Feels plenty dirty still.

The Pastrnak pick was a beauty.

But at the same time no it hasn`t been proven that he has saved our drafting, in fact there are many question marks about the use of the first round picks the last 2 drafts, though so far it looks like some promising second rounders. He didn`t hit it out of the park in Arizona either, I am not sure how bad of news this really is.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The best variation Bob's used this summer is Bobby Margarita.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Pastrnak, Heinen, Gabrielle, JFK, Senyshyn, McAvoy over Fabbro (yet to be concluded)

But at the same time, does he get ALLLL the credit? Who else is doing the scouting?

ps, for the conspiracy theorists out there....maybe picking Frederic in the first round was purposely bad and it was a prerequisite for the job with Chiarelli? :naughty:

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Was Keith a Chia hire or did he come on board after Chia got fired?

Was here before Chiarelli was gone, and hes good, although the 'off the board' picks were his doing so....can't argue with Pastrnak though, or Heinen, hes a late round WEAPON in the drafts.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thanks a lot for the info guys. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Bruins since they beat Vancouver in the SCF :)

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Not speaking for my entire fanbase but I for one like the job that Chia's been doing.

Chiarelli is a good GM. Many Bruins fans soured on him for Seguin and Boychuk deals but the Bruins won a heck of a lot of games while he was here. In the end I always felt that the cap problems were overstated by the fanbase. You win in the cap system and you have to pay the players more.

There were several moves he made that paid huge dividends for Boston that in hindsight are almost forgotten. In fact as I'm sure you remember many Bruins fans had Chiarelli avatars, especially when Toronto bottomed out after acquiring Kessel. So it wasn't all bad. :laugh:

I think the Oilers are going to be in WC mix. 90 points or so this year.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
The Pastrnak pick was a beauty.

But at the same time no it hasn`t been proven that he has saved our drafting, in fact there are many question marks about the use of the first round picks the last 2 drafts, though so far it looks like some promising second rounders. He didn`t hit it out of the park in Arizona either, I am not sure how bad of news this really is.

We're the only fans in the league who think the Bruins have been good at drafting recently. :laugh:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
:yo: Just do us one favour, make sure Looch lays the absolute smack on Dougie in the Battle for Alberta please!

Will do! I can't wait to see Looch in an Oilers jersey :yo:

Chiarelli is a good GM. Many Bruins fans soured on him for Seguin and Boychuk deals but the Bruins won a heck of a lot of games while he was here. In the end I always felt that the cap problems were overstated by the fanbase. You win in the cap system and you have to pay the players more.

There were several moves he made that paid huge dividends for Boston that in hindsight are almost forgotten. In fact as I'm sure you remember many Bruins fans had Chiarelli avatars, especially when Toronto bottomed out after acquiring Kessel. So it wasn't all bad. :laugh:

I think the Oilers are going to be in WC mix. 90 points or so this year.

No GM is perfect and he is worlds better than the last 2 duds that we had in the position. He's already made us worlds tougher than we were before he got here: Looch, Maroon, Kassian, Gryba as well last year, I expect us to add another blueliner before the season starts even if just a depth guy.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So if this is true, what does he bring to the table? What are some good and bad moves that have been attributed to him while with the Bruins?

Last 3 drafts have the Bruins making a fast turnaround and likely having 93 points their rock bottom

TheBigBadB

Feb 13, 2003
North Andover
Visit site
All depends on how his draft picks pan out. If we start getting NHL regulars because of his picks then it's a loss. If his picks don't pan out then it's good. So another words too soon to make judgement on this.

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
The Pasternak pick was nice but that aside this doesn't bother me in the least. If anything maybe it'll stop the off the board picks that have been happening lately.

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016
Did I miss all these productive, young NHL'ers that Gretzky has brought into the fold?

The jury is still out, nobody knows if he was good or not yet.. He certainly was handed a bounty of picks by his GM, so there is strength in numbers I would think. His overall track record long term was not great in Phoenix.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Guy was a hack who had a job in hockey because of his name, like most NHL scouts. Unfortunately this team is run by an old boys club so his replacement may be even worse.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I'm just sayin, where Wayne Smith graced us with Jordan Caron, Zach Hamill, and Joe Colborne amongst others, Gretzky has at the very least left us with a long list of players drafted on his watch that apparently have NHL potential. Yes, time will tell, but the Kirk's and Dom's of the world seem to like what he has done. That's enough for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00