TSN: Keith Gretzky leaving Bruins to become Oilers AGM

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
This sucks. He cleaned up Chiarelli's and Wayne Smith's mess and then some. I have no idea who the 'guy from Chicago' is.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So if this is true, what does he bring to the table? What are some good and bad moves that have been attributed to him while with the Bruins?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
So if this is true, what does he bring to the table? What are some good and bad moves that have been attributed to him while with the Bruins?

No, not true. He $*cks even more so than some brother of his (sorry can't remember his name).
Y'all should picket Chiarelli's office and tell the Oil management that you'll boycott them....:sarcasm:

Last edited:

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
Well, it's no secret that the Bruin's drafting has improved remarkably in the time that Gretzky has been here (not that it could really have gotten any worse), so this has to be a bit of a blow.

Would be interesting to hear from those who have some ins / familiarity with the Bruins on how much of the turn-around is actually attributable to Gretzky, or whether it has been more to do with having better scouts in better places across the board.

I think most people find the 1st round picks under him to be questionable in most cases, but our later-round picks over the last few years are looking great.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Was McKenzie hacked? 'He' changed his name to 'Bobby in the 6ix' which I know is slang for the borough of Scarborough but would HE do that?

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
Was McKenzie hacked? 'He' changed his name to 'Bobby in the 6ix' which I know is slang for the borough of Scarborough but would HE do that?

Pretty sure it's still him, he's had a couple of those weirder names since he's been on vacation.

Plus if my memory serves, he's had "Bobby in the 6ix" for at least a week or so now (I think longer), so I'd have to imagine he'd have discovered he was hacked in that time.

edit - aww Dom beat me to it...any chance you'd answer my question a few posts up as a consolation, Dom?

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Weird move. Makes PC look incompetent since he is hiring a guy who cleaned up his mess and proved to be an improvement over what happened during his time in charge of the Bruins.

NHL is such an old boys club though that there will always be a job for a guy with a last name like Gretzky...and if you end up being good at the job you will be very much in high demand. Not surprised at all he became and assistant GM but very surprised which team made him one. Especially as Im guessing half of that fanbase would take him as the actual GM over PC right now if they could.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Pretty sure it's still him, he's had a couple of those weirder names since he's been on vacation.

Plus if my memory serves, he's had "Bobby in the 6ix" for at least a week or so now (I think longer), so I'd have to imagine he'd have discovered he was hacked in that time.

edit - aww Dom beat me to it...any chance you'd answer my question a few posts up as a consolation, Dom?

More to do with the scouting department than just one man (Gretzky). But he's the leader (or was) and set the direction and just may have had the final say.

But don't underestimate Dean Malkoc. He's the WHL scout for the Bruins and did a lot of crossing over and my understanding was he really pushed for the Senyshyn pick in 2015.

I think DM is more than capable of running the scouting department.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Seems like bad news for the Bruins since much of the recent drafting success has been attributed to him.

Which picks has he been involved in that seemed solid? I remember many questioning those 3 consecutive first round picks, how are they looking at this point albeit still very early?

No, not true. He $*cks even more so than some brother of his (sorry can't remember his name).
Y'all should picket Chiarelli's office and tell the Oil management that you'll boycott them....:sarcasm:

I kind of thought that the name was a little familiar, I heard the brother was a 4th line goon :sarcasm:

Well, it's no secret that the Bruin's drafting has improved remarkably in the time that Gretzky has been here (not that it could really have gotten any worse), so this has to be a bit of a blow.

Would be interesting to hear from those who have some ins / familiarity with the Bruins on how much of the turn-around is actually attributable to Gretzky, or whether it has been more to do with having better scouts in better places across the board.

I think most people find the 1st round picks under him to be questionable in most cases, but our later-round picks over the last few years are looking great.

Which picks specifically look solid?

**** you, Chiarelli.

Well that's a vote of confidence for Keith if I've ever heard one! :laugh:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
More to do with the scouting department than just one man (Gretzky). But he's the leader (or was) and set the direction and just may have had the final say.

But don't underestimate Dean Malkoc. He's the WHL scout for the Bruins and did a lot of crossing over and my understanding was he really pushed for the Senyshyn pick in 2015.

If this means there is an opening on the Bruins scouting staff you have my vote of confidence for the job :nod:.

Im sure you can handle an OHL -> WHL transition.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
We have done very well drafting, especially in rounds 2+ for the past few years. Not good to lose one of the head guys in that department. Best of luck to him in his career.

Which picks has he been involved in that seemed solid? I remember many questioning those 3 consecutive first round picks, how are they looking at this point albeit still very early?

I kind of thought that the name was a little familiar, I heard the brother was a 4th line goon :sarcasm:

Which picks specifically look solid?

Well that's a vote of confidence for Keith if I've ever heard one! :laugh:

Lauzon, Carlo, Lindgren, Heinen, Gabrielle, Forsbacka-Karlsson to name a few.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Weird move. Makes PC look incompetent since he is hiring a guy who cleaned up his mess and proved to be an improvement over what happened during his time in charge of the Bruins.

NHL is such an old boys club though that there will always be a job for a guy with a last name like Gretzky...and if you end up being good at the job you will be very much in high demand. Not surprised at all he became and assistant GM but very surprised which team made him one. Especially as Im guessing half of that fanbase would take him as the actual GM over PC right now if they could.

Not speaking for my entire fanbase but I for one like the job that Chia's been doing.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA

Awesome, thank you, that's what I was hoping to hear. It's always kind of tough to tell from the outside just how much of a direct effect someone like Gretzky has; all I could really tell was that things changed drastically right around the time he got here. It makes sense that if they're willing to let him go (being under contract and all), they're probably comfortable with someone who'll replace him.

I'll second Dellstrom's list of 2nd & later round guys, and even add Bjork and Donato if we're talking about guys who'll probably provide solid depth at the NHL level. That's a pretty good haul over just a few drafts, even if most of them aren't flashy skill guys.

The Bruin's first rounders the last few years have been a pretty good topic of debate, especially those 3 consecutive ones....Pastrnak has already proven he's a legit player, and McAvoy seems to already be providing some early returns at the US Junior team camp, but it's too early on the rest to tell where they'll land. Considering how many 1st rounders don't end up reaching the everyday NHL player level though, there's something to be said for the fact that all of them at least appear to be tracking for the NHL in some capacity.

Last edited:

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Does Boston get a draft pick as compensation ???? ;)

Nope but it would be hilarious if they did. We've edmontons 2nd next year for chia himself so that's nice

Maybe we could offer them Gretzky plus their own 2017 2nd round pick back in exchange for their 2017 1st round pick ???? Heck I'd even throw in Hayes if that would make it work for them. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad