TSN: Keith Gretzky leaving Bruins to become Oilers AGM

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Did I miss all these productive, young NHL'ers that Gretzky has brought into the fold?

The jury is still out, nobody knows if he was good or not yet.. He certainly was handed a bounty of picks by his GM, so there is strength in numbers I would think. His overall track record long term was not great in Phoenix.

They were just drafted most prospects take 3-5 years which is why Sweeney and his group will get according to my source 3-5 years to see if their labor bares fruit. Although Pastrnak leads all his draft class in goals from forward position. So they are off to great start

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I'm surprised Chiarelli didn't appoint his "scout" brother to the AGM position. Did he follow Peter to the organization?

Yup he did. NHL front offices are as nepotistic as mom and pop shops in their hiring practices.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
It's pretty simple, IMO. Look at who the right hand man is of the Head Scouts of the Ducks and Kings, arguably the 2 best drafting teams over the last few years, and make him our new Head Scout. However, I doubt that the morons we have running the team will have the mental capacity to at least inquire about members of the scouting staff of those teams.

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA
It's pretty simple, IMO. Look at who the right hand man is of the Head Scouts of the Ducks and Kings, arguably the 2 best drafting teams over the last few years, and make him our new Head Scout. However, I doubt that the morons we have running the team will have the mental capacity to at least inquire about members of the scouting staff of those teams.

Boy why don't you tell us how you really feel :shakehead:shakehead

Zac Rinaldo*

the relationship between a scouting staff and a management staff has a lot to do with familiarity and trust

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA

Hmmm, Bradley was absolutely at the forefront of the trade Seguin crowd. Not sure about who he was hands on in drafting but I think he's been there through the good years and the bad years. But how responsible was he for both?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...ky-edmonton/OoDj4KYm5ungcz0lRTqIFI/story.html

In 2014, the first year Gretzky oversaw their draft, the Bruins picked David Pastrnak with the No. 25 selection. The team is hopeful that Pastrnak can have a high-impact third NHL season after injuries and inconsistency set him back in 2015-16. The Bruins took Danton Heinen in the fourth round of 2014. The skilled winger will be a full-time professional in 2016-17 after compiling 93 points in two college seasons at Denver.

In 2015, the Bruins had six of the draft’s first 52 picks, taking Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk, and Zach Senyshyn in the first round, and Brandon Carlo, Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson, and Jeremy Lauzon in the second round. DeBrusk and Carlo are expected to start their pro careers in Providence this fall. Forsbacka Karlsson will be a Boston University sophomore. Zboril, Senyshyn, and Lauzon are not old enough to play full-time in the AHL in 2016-17.

This past June, the Bruins drafted Charlie McAvoy, Trent Frederic, and Ryan Lindgren — all graduates of USA Hockey’s National Team Development Program — in the first two rounds. McAvoy will be a classmate of Forsbacka Karlsson. Frederic and Lindgren will be freshmen at Wisconsin and Minnesota.

It’s unknown whether the Bruins will look externally to fill Gretzky’s position. Scott Fitzgerald is their assistant director of amateur scouting, a title he’s held for the last five seasons.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I am not minding this development at all. If they shift Scott Bradley more to the amateur side of things that is good news, that is where he was prior to Wayne Smith, back when the Bruins actually drafted well. I am not going to base my entire opinion of a hockey executive on one canned quote from behind the b.

It also is an opportunity to bring in a good hockey mind external which I think they need. If Sweeney can recruit somebody good they are better off than before imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad