TSN: Keith Gretzky leaving Bruins to become Oilers AGM

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...ky-edmonton/OoDj4KYm5ungcz0lRTqIFI/story.html

Feels like they are still not pleased with Chiarelli and think that he is giving them the needle.

I don't think that suggesting it's bad timing says anything about how they feel about Chiarelli. In fact, Gretzky signing with Edmonton is kind of mending the fences if you ask me.

Take this into consideration:

If Gretzky is under contract with the Bruins, Chiarelli couldn't even speak to Gretzky about an AGM position with the Oilers without first getting permission from the Bruins. And with Gretzky on his way there, it appears the Bruins gave their blessings. If there was bad blood or ill will, they could have said no.

Question is: was he still under contract?

This line gets me though

Separately, Sweeney will hire two amateur scouts and one pro scout.

Who is going to apply from here? Colt, DKH?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't think that suggesting it's bad timing says anything about how they feel about Chiarelli. In fact, Gretzky signing with Edmonton is kind of mending the fences if you ask me.

If Gretzky is under contract with the Bruins, Chiarelli couldn't even speak to Gretzky about an AGM position with the Oilers without first getting permission from the Bruins. And with Gretzky on his way there, it appears the Bruins gave their blessings. If there was bad blood or ill will, they could have said no.

This line gets me though

My resume submitted:yo::sarcasm:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

This line gets me though

Separately, Sweeney will hire two amateur scouts and one pro scout.

Vesey Sr. ?

:sarcasm:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Haggerty is pissing me off with this restocked prospects angle. The GM is the guy who made trades for picks to then be able to restock. Gretzky isn't responsible for that. Where you give him credit is for the guys selected. Jury is still out on that, won't know for years. To make a conclusion that we will be hard pressed to replace gretzky is dumb considering many experts questioned more than a couple of his picks. Time will tell.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Haggerty is pissing me off with this restocked prospects angle. The GM is the guy who made trades for picks to then be able to restock. Gretzky isn't responsible for that. Where you give him credit is for the guys selected. Jury is still out on that, won't know for years. To make a conclusion that we will be hard pressed to replace gretzky is dumb considering many experts questioned more than a couple of his picks. Time will tell.

Yeah I'm with you.

We dealt quality NHL talent to get extra high picks, and those picks are still just prospects at this point. Nobody has made any extraordinary leap, aside from arguably Pasta. who was taken two years earlier. Further, several of those picks were immediately questioned, notably the three mid-1st picks last season, and each alternative for those slots has outperformed the kids Gretzky took, per many observers.

So Sweeney gets the "credit" for trading current talent for future talent (the flip side is the obvious holes he left on the NHL roster). The jury should still be very out on Gretzky at this point, unless there's something I'm missing.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Yeah I'm with you.

We dealt quality NHL talent to get extra high picks, and those picks are still just prospects at this point. Nobody has made any extraordinary leap, aside from arguably Pasta. who was taken two years earlier. Further, several of those picks were immediately questioned, notably the three mid-1st picks last season, and each alternative for those slots has outperformed the kids Gretzky took, per many observers.

So Sweeney gets the "credit" for trading current talent for future talent (the flip side is the obvious holes he left on the NHL roster). The jury should still be very out on Gretzky at this point, unless there's something I'm missing.

IIC Sweeney is on record as saying he never even intended to use all of those picks. Pretty sure he basically had a deal with Phoenix for Hamilton and another first for 3 until Maloney backed out at the 11th hour.

Also could be wrong again, but would think the GM and brass gives the scouting director a direction on what types of players they want and not "I'll draft who I like, make em fit".

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
IIC Sweeney is on record as saying he never even intended to use all of those picks. Pretty sure he basically had a deal with Phoenix for Hamilton and another first for 3 until Maloney backed out at the 11th hour.

Also could be wrong again, but would think the GM and brass gives the scouting director a direction on what types of players they want and not "I'll draft who I like, make em fit".

Lou, check out today's Sunday Globe. Big section on options for scouting vacancy. Didn't realize all the local guys around the league

I would think anyone coming in would be more a part of the pack as the group is pretty solid and Bradley can do a lot of this

Tim Burke would be interesting and he worked with JFJ when the Sharks were quite successful.

Jeff Kealty still lives here but I think Nashville would lose it.

Sweeney did also play with JVS and he's got a great rep as a person in these parts no idea how he is evaluating but why not bring him on board he knows all these area kids from his boys - if actually makes sense no matter where his kid signs

I wonder if Mark Yannetti is Joe's kid? Boxford- home of Chief

Btw - Bergy looking to build a home near new rink and my bud I was with last night says may not be far from him

Fluto, you need to add Sobotka in to Bradley's late round picks :)

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins have not drafted well in the last few years. Gretzky has to part of that issue. Time for a change in direction.
Let me see

Heinen
Bjork
Gabrielle

In his first two drafts as far as prospects

And really he just drafted them

So what were you looking for in the 2014 and 2015 later round picks ?

I'm assuming you will give him a break on the one 6 weeks ago

Are you joking :laugh: If so good one

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
I know there is a lot of sarcasm being thrown around, but there are a few on our Board that would definitely do an excellent job scouting for the Bruins. It's part of the reason why I've followed HF Boards for over 16 years.

Always insightful and informative.

Go get that job guys.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Yeah I'm with you.

Pretty much agree. I think Pasta was a good pick for Gretzky, but jury is out on the rest. I've not been a fan of some of his reaches in the last two drafts, but many others look like very solid choices (Senyshyn, McAvoy, for example). But then we don't know whether any "reaching" pics were "his" either (maybe intervention from others in the Front Office? We don't know what Gretzky recommended). I guess what we *can* say is Chiarelli believes in Gretzky's abilities by this hire.

Then again, Chiarelli's regime was horrible at drafting, so I don't trust his judgment either.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
He drafted fine by these eyes,not everything hockey revolves around the CHL:)

Just because his name is Gretzky doesn't automatically make him a great hockey scout. I for one am glad he went to the Oilers with Chia. They have dragged the Bruins down the tube the last few years. I think you need to borrow my reading glasses. I got them when I started reading the list of Bruin draft picks the last few years. :cry:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Anybody else worried about the loss of Gretzky as director of scout??

I still get chills thinking about how much damage Wayne Smith did (prospects pool) in the past 3-4 seasons prior to Gretzky

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Just because his name is Gretzky doesn't automatically make him a great hockey scout. I for one am glad he went to the Oilers with Chia. They have dragged the Bruins down the tube the last few years. I think you need to borrow my reading glasses. I got them when I started reading the list of Bruin draft picks the last few years. :cry:

really?

what about Pastrnak, Carlo pick? On top of this people are excited about Zboril, Debrusk, Shenyshyn, Lauzon, Frederic etc.

VS prior to this

Malcom Subban, Koko, Peter Cehlarik, Arnesson , Camara, Ferlin

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
not that worried. Gretzky had pretty lukewarm results in Phoenix and it looks like the Bruins made some excellent picks with him there were some that also continue to look like reaches, he had many first and second rounders to work with keep in mind so I would hope that there is some good results.

Question: who is heading up the amateur scouting this year?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
not that worried. Gretzky had pretty lukewarm results in Phoenix and it looks like the Bruins made some excellent picks with him there were some that also continue to look like reaches, he had many first and second rounders to work with keep in mind so I would hope that there is some good results.

Question: who is heading up the amateur scouting this year?

you mean director? Scott Bradley is the temporary guy at the moment

Also to reply to your comment...that was in Phoenix. You know how many years back that was?

KG track record since the 2014 draft has been stellar or future looks bright and exciting.

The Debrusk, Shenyshyn, Frederic picks vs Connor, Barzal, Debrincat will be a key test to determine if KG and Sweeney made the right choices.

Perhaps it may turn out to be Koko vs Saad debate all over again. But this time we grabbed Saad

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
you mean director? Scott Bradley is the temporary guy at the moment

Also to reply to your comment...that was in Phoenix. You know how many years back that was?

KG track record since the 2014 draft has been stellar or future looks bright and exciting.

The Debrusk, Shenyshyn, Frederic picks vs Connor, Barzal, Debrincat will be a key test to determine if KG and Sweeney made the right choices.

Perhaps it may turn out to be Koko vs Saad debate all over again. But this time we grabbed Saad

KG was in Phoenix about 5+ years ago. About how long it actually takes to assess a head scouts body of work.

As for the Bruins, 2014 looks great, 2015 looks mixed, as of today it looks like they did excellent in the second round but should have done better in the first round, 2016 too soon to tell, McAvoy looks promising, hard to like the Frederic pick. Time will tell on most of these, people tend to be most optimistic about drafts as soon as they happen, and then less excited as reality unfolds, there was lots of optimism about Jordan Caron a couple of yesrs after he was drafted for example.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
KG was in Phoenix about 5+ years ago. About how long it actually takes to assess a head scouts body of work.

As for the Bruins, 2014 looks great, 2015 looks mixed, as of today it looks like they did excellent in the second round but should have done better in the first round, 2016 too soon to tell, McAvoy looks promising, hard to like the Frederic pick. Time will tell on most of these, people tend to be most optimistic about drafts as soon as they happen, and then less excited as reality unfolds, there was lots of optimism about Jordan Caron a couple of yesrs after he was drafted for example.

Again sounds like you much rather have drafted Kyle Connor, Barzal and Debrincat vs debrusk, shenyshyn,
Frederic

However this doesnt mean the Bruins have failed in the 2015/2016 draft

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->