Keeping Barrie/Defense Past This Season

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Freidman just said he has heard that they are going to to establish a cap of 84.5-86.5 next year. But he predicts 83.5-85.5

That would help. A ton

Reactions: Menzinger

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
After the crap show the last two off-seasons, next year will be nothing. If guys do well the team will keep them. My prediction is AJ gets traded.

As usual the issues are overblown.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I don't think $7 M is enough to sign Barrie, his market is going to be around $8 - 8.5 (Trouba / Carlson are the comparable). keep in mind he is the FA next season and the market is going to be even higher. Muzzin I am not sure but he is not going to sign $4.5 M, there is going to be a bidding (unless he is signed before the season is over)
Trouba was an RFA.

Carlson is a low end #1. He would be at the high end of comparables.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I think it depends how Dermott's play continues to grow, and how many games Sandin and/or Liljegren play for the Leafs that will determine if we re-sign Barrie. Too many unknowns at this point.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
I'm wondering how we deal with D signings given we can only protect 3 D for the expansion draft.

I would protect Rielly and Dermott so I think we only want one additional D signed till after expansion.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm wondering how we deal with D signings given we can only protect 3 D for the expansion draft.

I would protect Rielly and Dermott so I think we only want one additional D signed till after expansion.

Can always make a side deal with Seattle to protect an extra D man

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Freidman just said he has heard that they are going to to establish a cap of 84.5-86.5 next year. But he predicts 83.5-85.5

That would help. A ton

That would be excellent .. Dermott's next contract is projected to be quite good based on recent signings, meaning the Leafs could have upward $12 mill to re-sign Barrie/Muzzin. Not sure Dubas could get both, but that could also give some space for Ceci (if he performs well enough).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If Vegas was any lesson, just let them take the asset and move on. Getting into losing picks, prospects, etc. doesn't really benefit in the long run.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Trouba was an RFA.

Carlson is a low end #1. He would be at the high end of comparables.

Trouba got that money as a RFA and Barrie is going to be a UFA, and how high is Carlson?

Carlson was signed a year ago, Barrie is going to sign 2 years later

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka

Ya been pondering that, it didn't work out for alot of Teams last time but it may be better for us in any case.

I'm starting see why there should be more urgency to see what we have in our D prospects starting with Sandin.

I was very impressed with him last nite, especially given he played both sides with diff. partners and also had both pk & pp mins. Didn't look out of place at all! Very early I know but I think the door should be wide open for him to earn a spot.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Well I dont think we can sign any more big contracts passed when rielly expires to lock him up so does that kinda kill this idea?

Also depends how season goes for him on this team. If hes lights out can u make exception?
Because pietrangelo is also a ufa, I'd rather him even though I think he resign soon

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I cannot see a scenario where we keep Muzzin and Barrie without losing a key depth piece. By "key depth" I mean one of Kapanen/Johnsson/Kerfoot/Hyman would have to go. I'm assuming our top 4 is untouchable.

If the cap goes up $2M next year and Ceci leaves, that's an additional $6.5M to use next year. Add that to the $2.75M Barrie's making and $4.0M Muzzin's making, and you've got $13.25M to use on the both of them. Muzzin's going to be looking for $5M and Barrie's going to be looking for $8M, so maybe that covers it. But Dermott's a key piece that needs to be signed, and he's likely looking at $4M+ on a long-term deal or in the $3M's on a short-term deal. That raise will cost us a "key depth" piece.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Not to mention if Mikheyev or Bracco have a breakout season they might need a raise.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Barrie is a guy we have a backup for in Sandin after 2-3 years in nhl. We may lose a little for a year or two.
Muzzy we have no backup for his type.
Lily can replace a 2nd liner.
Muzzy resigned at 4-5M per for 3 years. Dermott bridged.
Ceci is a ???????. If he plays great we keep him 1 more year or we let him hit UFA or we trade for 1st rounder next year to replace Marleau lost pick.

Next Season:
Rielly Dermott
Muzzy Lily
Harpur Sandin

We won't be subtracting from our roster for 1st picks for at least ten years.baffles me that people think this..

Reactions: The Apologist

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We won't be subtracting from our roster for 1st picks for at least ten years.baffles me that people think this..
Next year is best overall draft class since the 95s. We need a 1st rounder. It is a very very deep draft. But agree with your premise in general depending on draft class strength. We should at minimum look at trading up our multiple picks for a 1st next year.

Reactions: IPS

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Next year is best overall draft class since the 95s. We need a 1st rounder. It is a very very deep draft. But agree with your premise in general depending on draft class strength. We should at minimum look at trading up our multiple picks for a 1st next year.

Except all hands on deck for a cup. Stanley cup>>>>>>>next years draft class. We can make moves at the draft to get in round one if we need to and GM's ain't giving picks away just because we need one. "Oh you don't want to lose ceci for nothing? Mmmkay hers all the firsts derp!!!!"”

Jvr,bozak,gardnier all kepted despite hf "derp a lerp duh need dem firsts late round picks >>>>>progressing our program towards a championship""

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I remember the last expansion draft, that didn't tend to go well for the teams doing the side deals

For some definitely.

But can still be worth it if the team js trying to be as competitive as possible -just be smarter with what assets are used.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Except all hands on deck for a cup. Stanley cup>>>>>>>next years draft class. We can make moves at the draft to get in round one if we need to and GM's ain't giving picks away just because we need one. "Oh you don't want to lose ceci for nothing? Mmmkay hers all the firsts derp!!!!"”

Jvr,bozak,gardnier all kepted despite hf "derp a lerp duh need dem firsts late round picks >>>>>progressing our program towards a championship""
Agreed but it is different now for a 2nd reason. We are now a CAP team. So there are guys we are not going to keep next season. If Barrie does not really add a lot extra for playoffs then it may make sense to get a 1st rounder for him. or maybe Ceci but I think we will really need him more than everyone thinks.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
After the crap show the last two off-seasons, next year will be nothing. If guys do well the team will keep them. My prediction is AJ gets traded.

As usual the issues are overblown.

Yeah, AJ, Kap or Willy for D help

Muzz will be gone and if it happens, we will re-up Barrie for 8/9AAV

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
For some definitely.

But can still be worth it if the team js trying to be as competitive as possible -just be smarter with what assets are used.

If the player is good the side deal is going to be ugly, what would you be willing to accept instead of say Dermott?

He's a young more than likely top 4 defenseman under team control for years, I'd want plenty to leave that on the board

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If the player is good the side deal is going to be ugly, what would you be willing to accept instead of say Dermott?

He's a young more than likely top 4 defenseman under team control for years, I'd want plenty to leave that on the board

Keep in mind, at the time of those side deals most commentators thought the prices set by Vegas were reasonable. It wasnt until later did they seem lopsided.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Keep in mind, at the time of those side deals most commentators thought the prices set by Vegas were reasonable. It wasnt until later did they seem lopsided.

Which is a cautionary tale, side deals may seem ok at the time but didn't age well so avoid doing side deals

Liljegren and Sandin are exempt, so Rielly, Dermott and one more guy should be the plan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad