Keeping Barrie/Defense Past This Season

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I could see the Leafs trying to get Barrie on a 2 or 3 year deal. Would give us a lot of flexibility in a couple years, and would allow Barrie to bank on a long term deal that carries into his mid-late 30's.

I love Muzzin but we have a surplus of good LD starting next year and it is an area where we can afford to save a bit. Unless we plan on Dermott playing the right side full time I don't really see the need to push for a deal with him into his mid-30's.

Bridge Dermott, Then hopefully Sandin/Liljegren can establish themselves as staples in the top 4 and then we can extend them with the money coming off of Kapanen/Kerfoot/Johnsson/Hymans deals etc. when we need to cycle in cheap youth to the forward group.

All we need to do really is hope that one of Hollowell/Lindren/Duszak can find a bottom pair role with us in the next two years and the group is real solid.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I could see the Leafs trying to get Barrie on a 2 or 3 year deal. Would give us a lot of flexibility in a couple years, and would allow Barrie to bank on a long term deal that carries into his mid-late 30's.

I love Muzzin but we have a surplus of good LD starting next year and it is an area where we can afford to save a bit. Unless we plan on Dermott playing the right side full time I don't really see the need to push for a deal with him into his mid-30's.

Bridge Dermott, Then hopefully Sandin/Liljegren can establish themselves as staples in the top 4 and then we can extend them with the money coming off of Kapanen/Kerfoot/Johnsson/Hymans deals etc. when we need to cycle in cheap youth to the forward group.

All we need to do really is hope that one of Hollowell/Lindren/Duszak can find a bottom pair role with us in the next two years and the group is real solid.

Barrie will be 29 next summer, the chances of him taking a 2-3 year deal are slim and none no matter what the Leafs want.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'd keep Barrie if he came with a reasonable contract.

Solidify a key position on the top 4 right side for a good number of years. His style of play should keep well into his 30's. Lessens the need to re-sign Rielly in a few years particularly if Dermott and Sandin keep developing well.

That being said Muzzin would be cheaper and could be had for a better deal.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Just saying, Barrie looked really, really good last night. More like a forward style than a d-man like everyone said but I liked it. I'm pretty excited about his season this year.

Polk High

Sep 9, 2009
Does anyone else feel that these expiring UFA D contracts are both by necessity but also by design.

I have to wonder if Dubas took the contract status of these guys into condideration when trading for them while not being afraid to load up the front end.

The D was always viewed as a weak spot for the Leafs. What better motivation can these players have than literally playing their asses off for a contract?

Seems to me the Leafs are primed to have a pretty high caliber, "low cost" bang for your buck defense.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Does anyone else feel that these expiring UFA D contracts are both by necessity but also by design.

I have to wonder if Dubas took the contract status of these guys into condideration when trading for them while not being afraid to load up the front end.

The D was always viewed as a weak spot for the Leafs. What better motivation can these players have than literally playing their asses off for a contract?

Seems to me the Leafs are primed to have a pretty high caliber, "low cost" bang for your buck defense.

Not me, I'm sure Dubas would be thrilled if Barrie was locked in for a couple more years but then again, the cost of trading for him would have been much higher.

Barrie/Muzzin are both good vets, I don't think Dubas is expecting a huge uptick in their performance just because their pending UFA's.

Reactions: Caldercanucks

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If the cap goes up to 83 million. The leafs should have about 10 million to spend. On 2 D

Muzzin probably 4.5-5 ish
Barrie. Probably 7-7.75 ish.

Will probably have to lose a mango.

But there are many options. Could try Faulk. Hamonic. Brodie etc.

Heck maybe even get Tanev.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
So if Muzzin wants to stay in Toronto and takes the $4.5 million cap hit to Ceci on a medium term deal, we can basically give his $4 million to the $2.75 cap hit Barrie is getting currently to get him up to about $6.75 million before we start contemplating moving out Alex Kerfoot's $3.5 million.

But then we have to factor in a modest raise for Travis Dermott, which may eat into that Kerfoot money. And then we would have to think about getting rid of Zach Hyman.

Then we would need to promote one of Sandin or Liljegren and find a cheap C replacement to take over Kerfoot's role.

Or we deal from strength and ship a couple of Kerfoot, Johnsson or Kapanen for a cost controlled D to pair with one of Barrie or Muzzin.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
If the cap goes up to 83 million. The leafs should have about 10 million to spend. On 2 D

Muzzin probably 4.5-5 ish
Barrie. Probably 7-7.75 ish.

Will probably have to lose a mango.

But there are many options. Could try Faulk. Hamonic. Brodie etc.

Heck maybe even get Tanev.

I don't think $7 M is enough to sign Barrie, his market is going to be around $8 - 8.5 (Trouba / Carlson are the comparable). keep in mind he is the FA next season and the market is going to be even higher. Muzzin I am not sure but he is not going to sign $4.5 M, there is going to be a bidding (unless he is signed before the season is over)

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Barrie is the must keep. Him and Rielly when he comes up. I love Muzzin but it’s far more important to have two legit top pairing guys that play different sides locked up. If it costs Muzzin to retain Barrie then fine. The left side should manage with his loss with Dermott here and Sandin not too far off.

Reactions: Sundinisagod and Eb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Barrie is the must keep. Him and Rielly when he comes up. I love Muzzin but it’s far more important to have two legit top pairing guys that play different sides locked up. If it costs Muzzin to retain Barrie then fine. The left side should manage with his loss with Dermott here and Sandin not too far off.

I think this is probably true. I'm tired of Babcock's complaining but he is right about "handedness" being important for Dmen.

Rielly Ceci (upon initial review)
Dermott Barrie
Sandin Lilijegren

is a damn good core moving forward.

Assuming Ceci works out, yes.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Until we see what happens in playoffs, next season will be a question mark on defense.

But Sandin should be able to replace Barrie in a year or two. Lily in a year or less could likely replace a 3rd liner D maybe 2nd liner. Ceci will become a clearer picture over season. Even though there are lots of ???????? we have some talent coming up on D now. So it is less of an issue really.

The real issue in my mind is if we feel we are not going to win the Cup then at least recoup a 1st rounder for Barrie at TDL. If it becomes a Kadri for Kerfoot straight up swop then we lost.

Reactions: biotk

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Until we see what happens in playoffs, next season will be a question mark on defense.

But Sandin should be able to replace Barrie in a year or two. Lily in a year or less could likely replace a 3rd liner D maybe 2nd liner. Ceci will become a clearer picture over season. Even though there are lots of ???????? we have some talent coming up on D now. So it is less of an issue really.

The real issue in my mind is if we feel we are not going to win the Cup then at least recoup a 1st rounder for Barrie at TDL. If it becomes a Kadri for Kerfoot straight up swop then we lost.

A few things:

Im high on Sandin too but claims of Sandin being capable of replacing Barrie in a couple years seems definitely like getting ahead of ourselves. Barrie is among the best offensive players on the backend in the league.

It will never be Kadri for Kerfoot as a straight swap. I don't know why people frame things like that. At worst it's Kerfoot and a year of a top pairing D.

Also the ONLY way Barrie gets traded is if we are trending to miss the playoffs. There's zero chance otherwise.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
But Sandin should be able to replace Barrie in a year or two. Lily in a year or less could likely replace a 3rd liner D maybe 2nd liner. Ceci will become a clearer picture over season.

This is the position has evolved to. Originally I was thinking that you do whatever you can to sign Barrie because he is a RHD and then let Muzzin walk because he is a LHD. I wasn't thrilled with that because Muzzin is the type of D that Toronto is short on, he is probably more likely to re-sign with the Leafs, and he would be a lot cheaper than Barrie - but teams need to make room for their players coming up. The current shifting of Sandin to the right side, if successful and long term, would change a lot. If Ceci performs well enough, as I think he will, they could potentially re-sign both Ceci and Muzzin for not much more than Barrie would likely be alone.

I can see for 2020-21:
Rielly - Ceci
Muzzin - Sandin
Dermott - Liljegren

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If you look at free agency this offseason, D men contracts aren't exactly breaking the bank right now.

Barrie may WANT 8 mil but I'm not sure hes going to get it from any team.

Factor in a lot of this will depend on how he enjoys playing in Toronto this summer. If he loves it, a compromise may be found on aav

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Barrie's relative lack of PP time/involvement here compared to Colorado will hurt his point totals. If he wants to be the lead PP QB, it's possible he'd prefer to play elsewhere in the future. But I'm hoping Rielly can convince him to sign a reasonable extension, I don't want to lose a good RHD after finally acquiring one.

Muzzin's skating would give me concerns about him long-term and we're stocked at LHD, retaining him isn't a priority for me.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If you look at free agency this offseason, D men contracts aren't exactly breaking the bank right now.

Barrie may WANT 8 mil but I'm not sure hes going to get it from any team.

Factor in a lot of this will depend on how he enjoys playing in Toronto this summer. If he loves it, a compromise may be found on aav
We will have to see how the season goes.
It’s only preseason but we are still giving up 4 goals a game. We need to see how the top 4 looks moving forward.

What good is paying 40 million for 4 guys when the rest of the team is giving up 4-5 goals a game. We need to see where the best balance/winning is spent.

You need a good balance on the team in terms of talent at different positions and cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad