Keep Tanev or Toffoli?

Who would you pick (at similar cap hits and term)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
The cap was expected to go up by as much as 7 mill, that right there plus Stech is enough to sign the big 3. Hell for all we know Benning and LE had a handshake deal to retire. With 1 year left on their contracts, Sutter and Baer are tradable especially with a little retention.

The doom and gloom you Anti Benning crowd spew are worse case scenarios with no actual inside knowledge.
When has the cap during Benning's term caused the team to lose or not be able to sign a UFA?

It baffles me that people can Bash Jim when we're finally seeing what this team is becoming under his guidance. All you can ask from a rookie GM is to learn and get better, looking at this core almost all drafted or acquired by him along with the prospect pool all while the placeholders contracts end in the next 2 seasons being replaced by homegrown talent is setting us fans up to once again be tops in the West, sooner then later.

If he is able to sign TT, Tanev and Marky, I hope haters quite griping since our entire core will be signed and when Petey and Quinn need new deals there will be a ton of cap off the books.

What you see as "Anti Benning" ...

I see as "wanting the best for the Canucks franchise for the today as well as for the tomorrow".

What you see as "Bashing Jim"....

I see as "wanting to restore management and leadership accountability and credibility to the default NHL hockey team that I had no choice in being a fan of.

The rookie GM narrative?

That's a f***ing h00t.

The guy makes how many hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars per year and you're blaming the worst era in the last 30 years of Canucks history on Benning being a new GM?

Benning is not a new GM.

Benning isn't even a real GM.

He's a media meat puppet for the Aquilini family who has through their own arrogance and selfishness turned the shiny Sedin-led 2xPrezTrophy winning team they snaked out of Gaglardi's back pocket in 2007 into a sham pretender culture-less team of individual hockey players which competent managers see as kryptonite and which can only entice players to play for them by overpaying on money and term.

<Tangent>

Defense is hard not-fun work and doesn't show up on the stat line.

Defense is also integral to being able to consistently win hockey games.

Winning hockey games doesn't put money in a hockey player's pocket. Individual points do.

Winning hockey games is for the owner, it's for your teammates and it's for the fans.

It's no coincidence why the Canucks have been a defensive clusterf*** ever since the Sedins stopped giving f***s.

<End-of-Tangent>

The Aquilinis corrupt and rot everything they touch and the Canucks are no exception.

And continuing to make-believe Benning is somehow leading his clusterf***?

Not me.

qozz7w0.gif

Not me for a long time.

Thanks for letting me rant. I appreciate it when people try to label me as "anti-Benning".

Benning needs to be fired and replaced by someone that doesn't mumble and use moronic-platitudes.

Not because I think Benning is an actual moron, but because the longer this puppet show goes on, the longer your Canucks will be stuck in a rut of perpetual mediocrity.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkMM and racerjoe

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You think Barrie (maybe all this summer’s UFAs) might sign a lower dollar one year deal in hopes next summer will bring better contracts?

For Barrie? I think he'll look for a long term $$$ deal. If he doesn't get it he might be willing to sign a 1 year deal and take a gamble. I think he'll sign long term tough.

At what price? This defense is going to be a mess defensively without Tanev or a replacement. If you get Barrie, you won't have any money left.

I don't disagree. The price will likely be high. All I said was maybe that's the plan.

Sneezy

Oct 25, 2019

I see as "wanting the best for the Canucks franchise for the today as well as for the tomorrow".

I see as "wanting to restore management and leadership accountability and credibility to the default NHL hockey team that I had no choice in being a fan of.

The rookie GM narrative?

That's a f***ing h00t.

The guy makes how many hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars per year and you're blaming the worst era in the last 30 years of Canucks history on Benning being a new GM?

Benning is not a new GM.

He's a media meat puppet for the Aquilini family who has through their own arrogance and selfishness turned the shiny Sedin-led 2xPrezTrophy winning team they snaked out of Gaglardi's back pocket in 2007 into a sham pretender culture-less team of individual hockey players which competent managers see as kryptonite and which can only entice players to play for them by overpaying on money and term.

<Tangent>

Winning hockey games doesn't put money in a hockey player's pocket. Individual points do.

Winning hockey games is for the owner, it's for your teammates and it's for the fans.

It's no coincidence why the Canucks have been a defensive clusterf*** ever since the Sedins stopped giving f***s.

<End-of-Tangent>

The Aquilinis corrupt and rot everything they touch and the Canucks are no exception.

Not me.

qozz7w0.gif

Not me for a long time.

Thanks for letting me rant. I appreciate it when people try to label me as "anti-Benning".

Benning needs to be fired and replaced by someone that doesn't mumble and use moronic-platitudes.

Not because I think Benning is an actual moron, but because the longer this puppet show goes on, the longer your Canucks will be stuck in a rut of perpetual mediocrity.

interesting, what I saw was a team about to make the playoffs and is moving forward.

I enjoy the team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Metal Tattooist 71

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Gotta find a way to keep Marky, Tanev and Toffoli. If we can't find a way too keep them all, I would probably let Tanev go. Although there would be a gaping hole left in our defense from Tanev's absence, but the way he plays, I don't think you will ever get a full healthy season out if Tanev, and this season was a fluke that he didn't miss more games than he did. Tanev is a warrior but he is so prone to injuries, that I feel it will only worsen with age.

Toffoli has shown great chemistry thus far with the Canucks. He can play on any of the top two lines no problem. His Stanley Cup experiences would be very valuable to mentor our young guys in the playoffs. He could be another Miller, given a greater role on a young team. Could develop into a leader.

Such a tough choice because we need all 3 of these players to succeed. Benning has to find a way to create cap space, even if he has to get rid of some assets to do so. Such as trading Baertschi and our 2nd to get rid of salary. Eriksson should be sent to the minors, Sutter, Benn, Stecher, Baertschi, or even Myers for that matter should be traded even if we have to retain some salary.

There is possibility of having a great young team here, but unfortunately Benning's atrocious FA signings have put us in cap hell.

Reactions: kaczor47 and MarkMM

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If there's one, just one measly compliance buy-out this off-season, then the solution is simple. Simply give Eriksson's money to Tofoli, and problem solved.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
If there's one, just one measly compliance buy-out this off-season, then the solution is simple. Simply give Eriksson's money to Tofoli, and problem solved.

Might not be that easy.
We still need to re-sign Virtanen and Leivo. We don't know how much Markstrom is likely to receive either. Even with a compliance buyout on Eriksson, I don't think that automatically solves our cap issues considering how many players are up for extensions, and using foresight to make room for Pettersson and Hughes' big upcoming contracts.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
YWKXHPg.jpg

Loui wants to play next season.

Loui loves empty nets.

Loui's a young 34 and doesn't play hard enough to get injured much which is way better than that injury-magnet Tanev.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

The rookie GM narrative?

That's a f***ing h00t.

Benning is not a new GM.

<Tangent>

<End-of-Tangent>

Not me.

qozz7w0.gif

Not me for a long time.

@mathonwy ,

You have a bunch of 50+ year old men at the Corner taking some massive shots at you, lol. They seem to really have it in for you.

LOL - Page 116 - Vancouver Canucks Messageboard

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He's such a warrior, so this is hard to post....but re-signing Tanev to more money than he's making now with longer term, is a big gamble imo. Given his injury history, his play could slip badly as he works his way through a career on 'the other side of 30'. What you see now, may not be what you get, going forward.

Let's face it. The biggest challenge Benning faces on the road to being a contender is the blueline. With the exception of Hughes, it's either 'too old' or 'too slow'. No easy fixes on the UFA market either, and the Canucks have no cap room anyway.

So somebody like Raffery, Woo, Rathbone, Juolevi or Tryamkin has to step up, big-time.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Tanev, at around $1 million less than Toffoli to account for his injury history, should be prioritized over Toffoli if these playoffs are any indication.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Tanev is an auto re-sign. He’s not going anywhere.

Hopefully a couple cap clearing moves can be made to retain Toffoli as well. He makes the top 6 a juggernaut.

Markstrom isn’t going anywhere either.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Benning will offer the moon to sign Toffoli, let Tanev walk and end up with neither of them.

There is no chance Benning let’s Tanev walk. Benning absolutely loves the guy. Kept him around when everyone and their dog was screaming to deal him.

Tanev will retire a Canuck.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Tanev. Losing Tanev will hurt more than Toffoli. Our D is already a relatively weak area as is.

While I don’t have any reason to think either would sign for discount, if someone did it would be Tanev.

If Toffoli is out for the rest of the playoffs, it’s hard to gauge whether his regular season is projectable output or just a hot streak riding shotgun with a word class player.

Also I just get the feeling Toffolis contract will not age well.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Tanev is an auto re-sign. He’s not going anywhere.

Hopefully a couple cap clearing moves can be made to retain Toffoli as well. He makes the top 6 a juggernaut.

Markstrom isn’t going anywhere either.
I'm not trying to be dismissive... but have you seen our cap situation?

To do what you're suggesting, we'd have to move on from a ton of hard to move contracts.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Keep Tanev. As Quinn Hughes puts it when he was asked what Tanev meant to this team “he is the heart and soul of this team”.

Keep Tanev and pay the man, him and Edler is what’s left of that bygone 2011 team. They’ve been a Canuck all their career and I believe they deserve to retire as Canucks.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Tanev was a beast in the Wild series. Without him our D becomes terrible. In contrast, we can manage much better without Toffoli. Hope Jombo realizes this. Tanev might even be cheaper. Maybe he's finally learned how to stay healthy dueing the regula4lr season to save his beast mode for the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad