Keep Brown or Let him go?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If he scores 1-2 in each of 4 play off rounds, he won’t be signing here.
1 or 2 goals a playoff round of up to 7 games is what we should be getting from him at minimum for the price we are paying him.

I think it's a pipe dream for him to actually accomplish and if he somehow does I don't think it changes his value next year as much as you are speculating.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
1 or 2 goals a playoff round of up to 7 games is what we should be getting from him at minimum for the price we are paying him.

I think it's a pipe dream for him to actually accomplish and if he somehow does I don't think it changes his value next year as much as you are speculating.
Ya I dont see him scoring at that rate neither.

My comment was more so some other idiot GM will get horny if he scores 1-2 per round and signs him.

I just hope it (scoring) happens so we get the benefit of a solid production from him after he f***ed the team over in the regular season and then Holland, Jackson or whoever the hell will be in charge of free agency regains their intelligence and stays …….far……..far…….away on or before July 1.

Reactions: Aerchon

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
But Holloways injuries have also been a sign of a player trying to find that extra edge and desperation everywhere due to the situation he's in where he knows any game here could be his last. Very untenable position to put kids in. Be better than all these other guys, be better instantly, or you're riding pine or sent down or scratched. Holloway has seen this two years running now. Wouldn't treat a dog like that.

I can name any number of players here that didn't show much scoring initially, or much pts. Even a guy like Ryan Smyth. Both had identical first seasons. Yet Smyth correctly got constant rotation in the lineup sophomore season and blossomed to his peak. Holloway with similar rook season is riding pine and busses somewhere. Kinds sucks for him.
That's what being on a contender is all about. Would have been different in 2010-2015.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That's what being on a contender is all about. Would have been different in 2010-2015.
No it isn't. Contenders work young talent into the lineup consistently like Dallas have done. The Oilers won some SC's based on having a balanced lineup with youth being a big part of it. Think of Tikkanen, or the Kidline in 90. These can often be important part of wins and even in cap era where young talent can add pace and identity to lineup at low cost filling it out.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
No it isn't. Contenders work young talent into the lineup consistently like Dallas have done. The Oilers won some SC's based on having a balanced lineup with youth being a big part of it. Think of Tikkanen, or the Kidline in 90. These can often be important part of wins and even in cap era where young talent can add pace and identity to lineup at low cost filling it out.
100%

In 2019-2020 Tampa Bay won a Stanley cup with Sergachev and Cernak in their top 4 and Point and Cirelli as their 1st and 3rd line centers. All those players were the same age that players like Holloway and Broberg are now. But here we are saying we can't possibly play Broberg as the #6 d-man or Holloway in our top 9. Meanwhile we've got a never ending rotation of guys like Janmark, Brown or the ghost of Cory Perry in our top 9.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
100%

In 2019-2020 Tampa Bay won a Stanley cup with Sergachev and Cernak in their top 4 and Point and Cirelli as their 1st and 3rd line centers. All those players were the same age that players like Holloway and Broberg are now. But here we are saying we can't possibly play Broberg as the #6 d-man or Holloway in our top 9. Meanwhile we've got a never ending rotation of guys like Janmark, Brown or the ghost of Cory Perry in our top 9.
The Oilers have Skinner, Bouchard, Desharnais, McLeod. Jay-Poo, Yamamoto, Broberg and Holloway were given all sorts of opportunities.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The Oilers have Skinner, Bouchard, Desharnais, McLeod. Jay-Poo, Yamamoto, Broberg and Holloway were given all sorts of opportunities.
So either an indictment on the players who failed at the opportunity presented, coaching or the scouting staff. The fact that other than a couple players, they are failed, been moved or are just marginal players doesn’t suggest the Oilers are at the same level of clubs that successfully integrate youth and ELC pay into their system.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
So either an indictment on the players who failed at the opportunity presented, coaching or the scouting staff. The fact that other than a couple players, they are failed, been moved or are just marginal players doesn’t suggest the Oilers are at the same level of clubs that successfully integrate youth and ELC pay into their system.
Well, I think it is a common knowledge that this club sucks at drafting and developing players. Since 2010, when they had four 1st overalls, one 3rd overall, one 4th overall, three 5-10 picks, two 10-20 picks, two 20-30 picks, they drafted McDavid, lucked out with Draisaitl, made good picks with Hall (did not realize potential for whatever reason), RNH, Nurse, Klefbom, Bouchard; struck out with Yakupov and Puljujaaarvi; made some meh picks (Yamamoto), judgement is still out on Broberg, Holloway and Bourgault. So basically, with the exception of Klefbom, they failed to develop a single player drafted outside the top 10.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Well, I think it is a common knowledge that this club sucks at drafting and developing players. Since 2010, when they had four 1st overalls, one 3rd overall, one 4th overall, three 5-10 picks, two 10-20 picks, two 20-30 picks, they drafted McDavid, lucked out with Draisaitl, made good picks with Hall (did not realize potential for whatever reason), RNH, Nurse, Klefbom, Bouchard; struck out with Yakupov and Puljujaaarvi; made some meh picks (Yamamoto), judgement is still out on Broberg, Holloway and Bourgault. So basically, with the exception of Klefbom, they failed to develop a single player drafted outside the top 10.
I completely agree, so not sure what added point you’re making.

The post from @Spawn was suggesting that recent successful clubs have been able to integrate young players into the lineup but the Oilers haven’t. You then trotted out a list of players, 4 that are regulars (but 2 who perhaps shouldn’t be, VD and McLeod) and a bunch that are failed or unsuccessful at this point, attempts as examples of the Oilers doing the same. They have not been able to integrate youth into the lineup successfully. They are the oldest team in the league.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad