Keep Brown or Let him go?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Which league's minimum are we talking about?
I guess the question is: do you like Brown on the 4th line next year at the current price (700k)? (his bonus from this year already counts towards the cap).

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I'd wait until after playoffs to make a decision. His teammates really like him which helps, but he seems pretty easily replaceable. I'd expect him to be better over the rest of the year if I'm going to extend him

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
For league minimum? Of course you sign him. It's not like he's a total liability out there.

Anybody saying no is answering emotionally.
Why would you sign a guy that has scored 1 goal in the past two years and is nearing 31 years of age on a team that is also salary cap challenged? We're still paying James Neal too.

Yes he has some skills but I’d put that money into someone who has a pathway.

Connor Brown is a dud in today’s NHL.

Last edited:

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Why would you sign a guy that has scored 1 goal in the past two years and is nearing 31 years of age on a team that is also salary cap challenged?

League minimum are the key words. Could even be a two way although I doubt he would accept that.
& let's be honest, nobody making league minimum is blocking anyone else's pathway to the NHL, salary cap challenged or otherwise.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
f*** no. Any other league minimum player could outproduce him. Why not use that money on someone who can actually chip in offensively once in a while?
Because the organization's track record of finding effective bottom six support is poor dating back over a decade. Even without the salary cap limitations.

If Brown was willing to stay for league minimum, it's unlikely you'd find a player with the same ability to PK, nor the same ability to suppress opposing offense. Assuming he doesn't find his offensive game in the near future.

Brown is a good bottom six forward as it stands.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
League minimum are the key words. Could even be a two way although I doubt he would accept that.
& let's be honest, nobody making league minimum is blocking anyone else's pathway to the NHL, salary cap challenged or otherwise.
It absolutely is. It’s a contract (which are limited to 50), a roster spot (limited numbers) and 800k off your very tight salary cap situation (limited funds). To say that signing him blocks no one is straight bullshit and false.

That is why I wouldn’t sign him.

Hes already costing you more than that next year. Piss more money away on a dud? I’ll take a chance on someone with a longer potential. No f***ing thank you.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
It absolutely is. It’s a contract (which are limited to 50), a roster spot (limited numbers) and 800k off your very tight salary cap situation (limited funds). To say that signing him blocks no one is straight bullshit and false.

That is why I wouldn’t sign him.

Hes already costing you more than that next year. Piss more money away on a dud? I’ll take a chance on someone with a longer potential. No f***ing thank you.
Calm down dude.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Because the organization's track record of finding effective bottom six support is poor dating back over a decade. Even without the salary cap limitations.

If Brown was willing to stay for league minimum, it's unlikely you'd find a player with the same ability to PK, nor the same ability to suppress opposing offense. Assuming he doesn't find his offensive game in the near future.

Brown is a good bottom six forward as it stands.
He's better than an average 4th liner, although his offensive numbers are pretty horrendous. But these numbers could also be an anomaly. He was a 30-40 point player prior to his injury.

Reactions: belair

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
For league minimum? Of course you sign him. It's not like he's a total liability out there.

Exactly. The worst case scenario is he’s a defensively responsible 4th liner who can PK. Take his current contract out of the equation, and there’s no reason you shouldn’t be happy to have him back.

Reactions: Faelko

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Why would you sign a guy that has scored 1 goal in the past two years and is nearing 31 years of age on a team that is also salary cap challenged? We're still paying James Neal too.

Because before the injury he was pacing for 50 points over the previous 3 seasons, and at league minimum the worst case scenario is you just waive him and he costs nothing against the cap.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Because before the injury he was pacing for 50 points over the previous 3 seasons, and at league minimum the worst case scenario is you just waive him and he costs nothing against the cap.
I wouldn’t waste my time. Sometimes you have to move on.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
f*** no. Any other league minimum player could outproduce him. Why not use that money on someone who can actually chip in offensively once in a while?

Keeping emotion completely out of the conversation only an idiot pays Conner Brown any money next year.

He is clearly washed up and will be a PTO tryout next year that either retires after failing, goes over seas, or trys to restart his career in the AHL. Which by his play this year is a long shot.

Quick comparables that I would take over Conner Brown. Eric Belanger, Jessie Pulj, Tobias Reider... Nail Yakupov...

All far more effective NHLers with more upside, lol. Joking... a tiny bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad