Keep Brown or Let him go?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I know I shat a LOT on Brown in this thread.
But 3 goals in the last 7 games... has me raising my eyebrow a bit.

If he can pot 1-2 more by the seasons end, and another 1-2 each round of the playoffs, I'll be ready to change my tune on him.

Reactions: gretzkyoilers

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Unless him being around is blocking Holloway or someone else more deserving from cracking the roster this would be an easy yes.

Even then we could waive him down to AHL if someone else is better.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Its a tricky situation for sure. For 90% of the season he hasn't been worth his cap hit, but if he continues to play for the rest of the season like he has since he scored his first, he would absolutely be worth keeping around - but he likely would be getting offers we can't afford to match - like brentashton said, especially if he scores a bunch in the playoffs.

Reactions: brentashton

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If he continues his strong play a near league minimum deal wouldn't be the worst idea. Not sure we would keep Carrick or Henrique.
I don't think Henrique is a real possibility. I like him though, so it would be nice if they could get him locked up. Carrick would be fine if he signs for what a 4th liner/13th forward type should (ie, league minimum), but if he gets an offer for any more than that, I say "thanks for your contributions", and move along. We need to keep saving on our bottom line as long as we are still trying to fill holes in other areas of the roster.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I don't think Henrique is a real possibility. I like him though, so it would be nice if they could get him locked up. Carrick would be fine if he signs for what a 4th liner/13th forward type should (ie, league minimum), but if he gets an offer for any more than that, I say "thanks for your contributions", and move along. We need to keep saving on our bottom line as long as we are still trying to fill holes in other areas of the roster.
I agree with you. It is like Bjugstad. Someone will give him more and we will have to find some bargains or move out some $$.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
This.

The org needs a few 3rd and 4th line contracts at/near league min in order to make suitable offers to LD and CMc over the next 2 years. Paying guys 4 schmill to play down there would make it very difficult.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Imagine going from waive this guy to we can't afford this guy!
The waive thing was never really logical. He was always worth his 775k. His low point was having to get healthy scratched.

I'd say at this point Brown wants to see how the playoffs go. He will likely get more than league minimum. I don't want to sign him as I like that he's fighting for his NHL future and will be hungry in the playoffs. He's heating up and has confidence.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Placeholding Connor Brown serves no purpose beyond parking our prospect talent like Holloway who should be in the show instead. Would rather the Oilers work to retain Carrick at league minimum, can perform the same roles and punch donkeys and finish hits.

Brown is talked up as some kind of complete player in all his threads but he's not that at all. He's somebody now that ducks hits, isn't physical, and brings very little identity. Brown is getting by on good reads, knowing where puck is going, and getting to those spots. Theres some value in that and it keeps him in the league but this is a player at this point that checks off no intangibles other than pk and has not been particularly good at that.

Hopefully Brown delivers something in playoffs and continues to have a run but move on regardless.

Connor Brown will land somewhere with a team that are building youngers and might want to have him around. I think nobody has even asked Connor Brown if he's willing to take league minimum. People realize that cap artistry not withstanding he is banking 4M for one season here?

The Cult of Connor Brown will land him more than league minimum somewhere else. It still will.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Placeholding Connor Brown serves no purpose beyond parking our prospect talent like Holloway who should be in the show instead. Would rather the Oilers work to retain Carrick at league minimum, can perform the same roles and punch donkeys and finish hits.

Brown is talked up as some kind of complete player in all his threads but he's not that at all. He's somebody now that ducks hits, isn't physical, and brings very little identity. Brown is getting by on good reads, knowing where puck is going, and getting to those spots. Theres some value in that and it keeps him in the league but this is a player at this point that checks off no intangibles other than pk and has not been particularly good at that.

Hopefully Brown delivers something in playoffs and continues to have a run but move on regardless.

Connor Brown will land somewhere with a team that are building youngers and might want to have him around. I think nobody has even asked Connor Brown if he's willing to take league minimum. People realize that cap artistry not withstanding he is banking 4M for one season here?

The Cult of Connor Brown will land him more than league minimum somewhere else. It still will.
Connor Brown isn't blocking any prospects. It should say more about the prospects that they can't seem to make it. But Foegele is likely gone next year. Janmark could go. There's lots of ways to get Holloway up that don't include Conor Brown.

I'm not saying sign him or don't sign him. Just that I don't think he's blocking anyone.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I think you keep him for cheap...he will be better next year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Connor Brown isn't blocking any prospects. It should say more about the prospects that they can't seem to make it. But Foegele is likely gone next year. Janmark could go. There's lots of ways to get Holloway up that don't include Conor Brown.

I'm not saying sign him or don't sign him. Just that I don't think he's blocking anyone.
I wonder if Holloway or Lavoie would feel the same way. They would be playing, in the NHL, on other clubs. Doesn't just mean Brown specifically but a Holland run team is going with all vets over youth. I get it from a one more time shot pov but it stymies development of any of the org prospects. Fact of the matter is they are not here.

Reactions: Aerchon

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I wonder if Holloway or Lavoie would feel the same way. They would be playing, in the NHL, on other clubs. Doesn't just mean Brown specifically but a Holland run team is going with all vets over youth. I get it from a one more time shot pov but it stymies development of any of the org prospects. Fact of the matter is they are not here.
I'd argue that if Connor Browns 9/10 minutes a night at RW is hampering Dylan Holloway's development process as the teams top prospect, then they have bigger issues.

I'd be more inclined to agree that Janmark, Foegele, Ryan, Kane, McLeod pose far more of an issue to Holloway making the team than Connor Brown.

Do I think Lavoie has earned a shot? Absolutely. But if you can retain cheap depth like Brown at the same time, why wouldn't you? With the teams history of successful prospects, I think it just as likely that Lavoie has far less success in the NHL than Brown has had thus far in his career than him becoming an impact player of any sort.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'd argue that if Connor Browns 9/10 minutes a night at RW is hampering Dylan Holloway's development process as the teams top prospect, then they have bigger issues.

I'd be more inclined to agree that Janmark, Foegele, Ryan, Kane, McLeod pose far more of an issue to Holloway making the team than Connor Brown.

Do I think Lavoie has earned a shot? Absolutely. But if you can retain cheap depth like Brown at the same time, why wouldn't you? With the teams history of successful prospects, I think it just as likely that Lavoie has far less success in the NHL than Brown has had thus far in his career than him becoming an impact player of any sort.
There are a few things really going against these guys since Knoblauch came in.

1. First and foremost he came in to a tire fire. He didn't have time to be going through the growing pains of younger players
2. Injuries. Generally speaking you end up with injuries then the coach becomes forced to play younger players more. We haven't exactly had injuries for this to happen.
3. Trade deadline came and we added more veteran players. Plus the addition of Perry earlier.

Reactions: GOilers88

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
There are a few things really going against these guys since Knoblauch came in.

1. First and foremost he came in to a tire fire. He didn't have time to be going through the growing pains of younger players
2. Injuries. Generally speaking you end up with injuries then the coach becomes forced to play younger players more. We haven't exactly had injuries for this to happen.
3. Trade deadline came and we added more veteran players. Plus the addition of Perry earlier.
Good points. Especially the first two.

The team has been pretty damn healthy this year, luckily. In fact, Holloway was one of the few guys who needed to miss significant time to injury.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Roster should be assessed at the end of the season.

Team needs to figure out what their plan is with Holloway, Lavoie and Broberg next year. I don’t think the team did any of these guys favours this year. Could probably throw Rodrigue in here too.

Reactions: Duke74 and Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Can't agree with the bolded at all. the only way an org changes its prospect development is by doing it, and using them, The bolded is antithetical to development.

Could even be said that ELC are to encourage player development and that teams should use it further to that. All things equal you take the prospect rather than the older player that doesn't accomplish much.

Of course the likelihood of an AHL prospect achieving 100NHL goals is unlikely just on general probability. But if you applied that reasoning to all mid level prospects how many of them would ever find their way to the NHL?

Its errant from the start to say X bottomsix player in the lineup is inately better than a prospect just on the basis of NHL results. Well of course if you use that metric, the ones in the NHL are the ones that got a chance, and in cases of sustained careers much more than a brief chance.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Good points. Especially the first two.

The team has been pretty damn healthy this year, luckily. In fact, Holloway was one of the few guys who needed to miss significant time to injury.
But Holloways injuries have also been a sign of a player trying to find that extra edge and desperation everywhere due to the situation he's in where he knows any game here could be his last. Very untenable position to put kids in. Be better than all these other guys, be better instantly, or you're riding pine or sent down or scratched. Holloway has seen this two years running now. Wouldn't treat a dog like that.

I can name any number of players here that didn't show much scoring initially, or much pts. Even a guy like Ryan Smyth. Both had identical first seasons. Yet Smyth correctly got constant rotation in the lineup sophomore season and blossomed to his peak. Holloway with similar rook season is riding pine and busses somewhere. Kinds sucks for him.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I would 100% keep Brown, and Carrick for that matter. Janmark, Foegele, Henrique, are all questionable at best. If you put Holloway at Foegele spot for almost $2M less. Brown is back at $1M. You can run back most of a line up that is pretty darn good. If Ceci is moved then you can manage to even improve if you want to.

oil roster.png

Reactions: GOilers88

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
But Holloways injuries have also been a sign of a player trying to find that extra edge and desperation everywhere due to the situation he's in where he knows any game here could be his last. Very untenable position to put kids in. Be better than all these other guys, be better instantly, or you're riding pine or sent down or scratched. Holloway has seen this two years running now. Wouldn't treat a dog like that.

I can name any number of players here that didn't show much scoring initially, or much pts. Even a guy like Ryan Smyth. Both had identical first seasons. Yet Smyth correctly got constant rotation in the lineup sophomore season and blossomed to his peak. Holloway with similar rook season is riding pine and busses somewhere. Kinds sucks for him.
He's been given multiple shots and has wound up injured everytime so far. That isn't because he's being treated poorly by the team, it's because he's as of now an injury prone player. If he's able to stay healthy and produce in the NHL, he will stick, regardless of whether or not Connor Brown is here.

Strongly disagree he's going out on a limb because he knows any game could be his last. I think that's crazy. He plays with an edge because that's his game. Unfortunately his body hasn't agreed with it so far.

Reactions: Duke74

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
The waive thing was never really logical. He was always worth his 775k. His low point was having to get healthy scratched.

I'd say at this point Brown wants to see how the playoffs go. He will likely get more than league minimum. I don't want to sign him as I like that he's fighting for his NHL future and will be hungry in the playoffs. He's heating up and has confidence.
Then you let him go if he has good playoffs and prices himself out. They signed him essentially for the playoffs.

I would 100% keep Brown, and Carrick for that matter. Janmark, Foegele, Henrique, are all questionable at best. If you put Holloway at Foegele spot for almost $2M less. Brown is back at $1M. You can run back most of a line up that is pretty darn good. If Ceci is moved then you can manage to even improve if you want to.

View attachment 845619
Where is Pissy?

Reactions: Mr Positive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad