Keep Brown or Let him go?

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Do you feel like Letting go?

;)

Great banger.

I’m missing tonight’s game. Going to the rescheduled Bruce Springsteen show here in Phoenix. I’ve never seen him live so I’m excited to see one of his legendary, 3 hour plus shows. He posted to social media that he’s going to be putting in a long shift. Should be great. Enjoy the hockey game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The crowd gave him a standing o because he is struggling mighty and he finally did get a lucky goal...

To say otherwise is a flat out denial of reality.

Weird to even imply otherwise.

If he scored his 10th+ on the season, as he "should" he doesn't get a standing o. It was a classy move by the fans but the equivalent of a pity f*** from an old girlfriend.
If we're being honest as well Connor Brown didn't do anything on that play but be a stationary object for Kane to bounce the puck in as other posters have suggested. Brown was just there. He has the worst hands in the league presently, and thats saying something.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A lot depends on if this is really it. He is on the wrong side of 30 so he may have fallen off the cliff. But, he was a scoring winger in the past. The tantalizing thing about him is that maybe he is just having a slow, slow recovery to his injuries. He did have another one this season even, remember. He has hustle, so it always looks like maybe he's ready to re-gain a lost step, but for me he's been like that for weeks now and we just have that one goal to show for it.

Then the question is, even if he bounced back significantly, how much would he cost? What is his realistic ceiling anymore?

The main argument to re-sign him now is that perhaps he does have something else to give, and at league minimum the only real downside is taking up one of the 50 roster spots. He can be buried easily

But I don't see a pressing need to lock up depth players. We can have a little faith that we are a desirable place to attract players now

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
If we're being honest as well Connor Brown didn't do anything on that play but be a stationary object for Kane to bounce the puck in as other posters have suggested. Brown was just there. He has the worst hands in the league presently, and thats saying something.
Ryan Smyth built a career around that. lol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
For sure, as it stands we could very well need some PK guys next year and for league minimum I have no issue. Also need a 13th forward and I tend to not that 13th forward to be a young player that should be getting playing time in the AHL.

With that being said, I'm bringing in competition for him to fight for that spot.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Ryan Smyth built a career around that. lol
He scored more than just pucks off his skates standing at the net. But I’ll give you that he did score some like this. He also scored with consistency, year after year. If Ryan Smyth scored one goal in a a season such as CB had, he’d be rode hard, and rightly so.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
No. Just no, please stop.

There is no reason to continue to attempt to rationalize this disaster of an acquisition. Take a break, go for a walk, come back with a unbiased attitude and just accept the truth.

He is not currently playing at an NHL level. He is not worth any NHL job.
And your sunk cost is still sunk.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
And your sunk cost is still sunk.
Interesting, this is the second time in a week where someone used sunk cost to justify a bad decision. Once at work and once on here.

Is sunk cost actually used in a justified real life manner or is it just as I've seen it used? A bad excuse to rationalize bad decisions.

Serious question. I am trying to think of any time that term gets used except as mentioned.

Is it a business term?

NM answered my own question. Google.

"People demonstrate "a greater tendency to continue an endeavor once an investment in money, effort, or time has been made". This is the sunk cost fallacy, and such behavior may be described as "throwing good money after bad", while refusing to succumb to what may be described as "cutting one's losses"."

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Interesting, this is the second time in a week where someone used sunk cost to justify a bad decision. Once at work and once on here.

Is sunk cost actually used in a justified real life manner or is it just as I've seen it used? A bad excuse to rationalize bad decisions.

Serious question. I am trying to think of any time that term gets used except as mentioned.

Is it a business term?

"People demonstrate "a greater tendency to continue an endeavor once an investment in money, effort, or time has been made". This is the sunk cost fallacy, and such behavior may be described as "throwing good money after bad", while refusing to succumb to what may be described as "cutting one's losses"."
Was just going to point out that the sunk cost argues AGAINST keeping Connor Brown.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

Is it a business term?

When you take into account the higher cost you are applying the sunk cost fallacy. As a $750k player he is valuable.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
When you take into account the higher cost you are applying the sunk cost fallacy. As a $750k player he is valuable.
The logical example of a sunk cost fallacy would be a hypothetical situation in which the said player was on a multi-year contract, and the team failed to buy him out after a poor showing in the first year, continuing to invest resources. But in this case, they signed him for ONE year at 4M, transferring a part of the cap space to the following year. That money and cap space is already gone, and they are not aggravating the situation by signing him to a much smaller contract.

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
Considering his only goal was barely scored by him, I'd say he's one of the more useless players I've ever seen get so many chances.
This is the extremely frustrating part. Other guys deserve to be in the lineup ahead of Brown. We're always bitching about bottom 6 scoring. Yet we bench a guy who's doubling him in points in like half the f***ing games in lieu of this sorry sack of shit. I don't give a f*** if he looks good. He's got stone hands and can't f***ing score. And yes I'm emotional about it. f*** this guy, get him off this f***ing team. I can't believe people are in favor of bringing his loser ass back. He never even hits. What's the use of a fourth line guy who brings absolutely no offense, and doesn't bring the energy? You can find PK guys that hit and bring more to the table than him. This is just this stupid country club mentality to keep bum stains like this guy around. "Well the guys like him". Who f***ing cares? He f***ing sucks and brings down every line he's on. Bench his ass now.

Stupid bastard Holland and whatever our president's name/former agent totally buried us. Like what's the harm in giving him a conditioning stint in the AHL after the injury at the start of the year to get a bit of mojo going and see if he could even play down there. Just complete and utter incompetence. Holland deserved the embarrassment of being turfed over this even if he is just a figure head at this point.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Why exactly is he still on the team over Gagner? The excuse used to be that he kills penalties, but we just brought in two PKers at the deadline.

Should the narrative change to Gagner because at least he produces?

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
This is the extremely frustrating part. Other guys deserve to be in the lineup ahead of Brown. We're always bitching about bottom 6 scoring. Yet we bench a guy who's doubling him in points in like half the f***ing games in lieu of this sorry sack of shit. I don't give a f*** if he looks good. He's got stone hands and can't f***ing score. And yes I'm emotional about it. f*** this guy, get him off this f***ing team. I can't believe people are in favor of bringing his loser ass back. He never even hits. What's the use of a fourth line guy who brings absolutely no offense, and doesn't bring the energy? You can find PK guys that hit and bring more to the table than him. This is just this stupid country club mentality to keep bum stains like this guy around. "Well the guys like him". Who f***ing cares? He f***ing sucks and brings down every line he's on. Bench his ass now.

Stupid bastard Holland and whatever our president's name/former agent totally buried us. Like what's the harm in giving him a conditioning stint in the AHL after the injury at the start of the year to get a bit of mojo going and see if he could even play down there. Just complete and utter incompetence. Holland deserved the embarrassment of being turfed over this even if he is just a figure head at this point.
Amen!
The love affair Brown has been getting, from the fanbase to management, is just to surreal to understand. It's obvious that there is some fishy monkey business connect with him. Maybe he's got compromising pics of the GM, maybe because he's McDavid locker room neighbor, maybe the GM wants him in the lineup, knowing he made a big mistake in that contract, so is hoping that he will eventually break out of it? I mean he was penciled on the 3rd line his last game, insane! and I don't even think "he looks good" lol

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Why exactly is he still on the team over Gagner? The excuse used to be that he kills penalties, but we just brought in two PKers at the deadline.

Should the narrative change to Gagner because at least he produces?
Because it makes no sense to waive a player and lose him now.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Considering his only goal was barely scored by him, I'd say he's one of the more useless players I've ever seen get so many chances.
I’m glad people are recognizing his goal scored was the equivalent of

1710983364642.gif

So useless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad