WJC: Kazakhstan 2019 Roster Talk

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Probably wants to remain eligible for Canada or he identifies as Canadian. He has played his entire hockey in Canada.
He likely does. I have a feeling he'll end up representing Kazakhstan next year though when he realizes he has no chance of playing for Canada internationally.

Adam Musil did something similar a few years ago. Wanted to play for Canada, didn't make the team and ended up representing Czech Republic.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
He likely does. I have a feeling he'll end up representing Kazakhstan next year though when he realizes he has no chance of playing for Canada internationally.

Adam Musil did something similar a few years ago. Wanted to play for Canada, didn't make the team and ended up representing Czech Republic.

It'll depend on what Kazakhstan does here, I can't imagine he'd want to try for them if they're in the D1. And unfortunately even if they remain in this group and don't get relegated, I think next year they would almost assuredly be relegated. All of their big time players will age out of this tournament. This right here will likely be the best Kazakh u20 team for a while.

Reactions: smitty10

TomB

Jul 20, 2016
Why isn't Danil Antropov playing for Kazakhstan , did he receive an offer?

I'm almost certain Antropov isn't eligible for Kazakhstan. As far as I can tell, he doesn't fulfill the two-year rule for them.

lindelof

Jul 7, 2018
I'm almost certain Antropov isn't eligible for Kazakhstan. As far as I can tell, he doesn't fulfill the two-year rule for them.
A bit off-topic but anyway, isn´t the two-year rule kind of stupid? I´m it is hindering sons of great icehockeyplayers to compete for their native country. They should make an exception for them and then it is up to the player himself to choose whether or not he will play for the country of his father.
I know Sweden had this problem with Nylander a couple of years ago but in the end he was given an exception.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I know Sweden had this problem with Nylander a couple of years ago but in the end he was given an exception.
I don't think this is true, both Nylanders had two seasons in Sweden before debuting for u18 national team.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I don't think this is true, both Nylanders had two seasons in Sweden before debuting for u18 national team.
Yeah, only player I know that has had any problems with such things is Joakim Ryan, who is like 2 months short from being able to represent Sweden.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Liam Stewart (who is a son of a famous father) was allowed to represent GreatBritian. His nationality is GreatBritain/Newzealand but he newer played in on of those countries. This is the only exception I know of.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I didn't think you needed the two years if you had the direct lineage. Perhaps I'm getting confused with football rules.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I didn't think you needed the two years if you had the direct lineage. Perhaps I'm getting confused with football rules.
I was under this impression as well. I know David did, but I don't think Adam Musil played two years in Czech after he was 12. He was also born in Canada and was able to represent the Czech's.

TomB

Jul 20, 2016
I was under this impression as well. I know David did, but I don't think Adam Musil played two years in Czech after he was 12. He was also born in Canada and was able to represent the Czech's.

Direct lineage has no bearing on IIHF eligibility. That would be FIFA rules.

Eligibility rules: IIHF - Eligibility

Also the rule is two years after the age of 10. If David and Adam were living in the same country at the same time, Adam should have two years no problem.

Liam Stewart (who is a son of a famous father) was allowed to represent GreatBritian. His nationality is GreatBritain/Newzealand but he newer played in on of those countries. This is the only exception I know of.

William Nylander had to get a similar exception - he didn't have two full years before suiting up for Sweden U18. He found himself in a situation where he was eligible for no country - so like Stewart he was granted an exception.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Direct lineage has no bearing on IIHF eligibility. That would be FIFA rules.

Eligibility rules: IIHF - Eligibility

Also the rule is two years after the age of 10. If David and Adam were living in the same country at the same time, Adam should have two years no problem.

William Nylander had to get a similar exception - he didn't have two full years before suiting up for Sweden U18. He found himself in a situation where he was eligible for no country - so like Stewart he was granted an exception.
So unfortunately Antropov won't be eligible to play for Kazakhstan?

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
Yep, I have now seen every game from the tournament. Some live in the arena. I have never once said the MHL is better than any of those leagues though I do believe there are SOME MHL teams that can compete with teams in those leagues, I've merely stated that the Kazak team will surprise (and I think they have) because of their speed up front and goaltending and have what it takes to beat Slovakia on December 30th.

I guarantee you, there are more people now who hadn't had the opportunity of watching this team play before, but now have as the tournament has commenced, who feel the same. Especially as the Slovaks have not overly impressed.

This is not a bad team. December 30th could be THE GAME OF THE TOURNAMENT. I feel like it's the Slovak's/Kazak's gold medal game, and I hope both teams come out and give their all.

I am waiting for you. :D

Absolutely slovak players dominated. I hope that you saw big difference between slovak and kazak players.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
1) Because something happened in the past it could happen again! That's a argument! Not that Durny was a MUCH better goalie than Kostelny, Sklenar, or Hlavaj. Hlavaj could be a good goalie in 2 years at the WJC level. But no, none are remotely close to what you had with Durny.

2) I have seen Hlavaj play at last years U18's. Sklenar and Kostelny I saw 2 years ago at the previous years U18, as well as seeing Kostelny in a league game this year where he got lit up.

3) It doesn't matter. We're talking about a U20 tournament in 2 weeks, not a prospects chances of excelling at the NHL level. Remember Godla?

4) Goalies are hard to predict, however, in saying that you can typically have a fair idea of how they will perform based on previous viewings. The WJC pools are a great example of that where you can commonly see the goalies that excel being picked year in and year out.

5) I don't think the USHL is far above the MHL. And I'd argue that there are MHL teams that could beat CHL teams. That being said I'm judging it based on what I've seen in action with both teams and their skill level. Really looking forward to December 30th!
Hol up... this ain’t it chief

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I am waiting for you. :D

Absolutely slovak players dominated. I hope that you saw big difference between slovak and kazak players.

I didn't. Almost 2 periods were close it was a 2-3 game for like 40 minutes of play after that horrific start. I think the Kazak came out very slow. But when they got skating things were close between them. The Slovaks are going to thumped in the quarters, I still think the gap between the Kazak and Slovak is closer than the Slovak and any of the Swedes, US, Canada, Russia, Czech and Finns.

stastny12

Dec 26, 2018
Trencin, Slovakia
I didn't. Almost 2 periods were close it was a 2-3 game for like 40 minutes of play after that horrific start. I think the Kazak came out very slow. But when they got skating things were close between them. The Slovaks are going to thumped in the quarters, I still think the gap between the Kazak and Slovak is closer than the Slovak and any of the Swedes, US, Canada, Russia, Czech and Finns.
It was close for 2 periods because after 32 seconds it was already 2-0 and after opening period 6-0. Slovaks were resting.

But I really need to explain this?? Score is 11-2...

Last edited:

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017

After first period czech referee kept with kazak. Slovak game after first period was different (You absolutely know nothing about slovak team. You do not know Bokros and his "strategy" etc). In last period our best lines were rest. If were our "overatted" players like Ruzicka, Pospisil, Roman, Liska, Krivosik, Hrehorcak on a ice a kazak team was in a hard defensive. Slovak could gave more than 7-8 goals (4 sitcks, and lots of other big chances). After the first period, the game was only upkeep with the over motivated of some kazak players.

Reactions: stastny12

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia

Sorry but that's really not a good argument given that the Slovak players had a 6-0 lead before those 40 minutes. A lot of the times in the 2nd and 3rd the Slovak players were playing for beauty and they would have definitely played a different game were the score tighter. Additionally we rested our top lines when the game was already decided and even with that the Kazakhs were only able to score on the PP.

All that said I hope that the Kazakh teams makes the relegation games more interesting than this.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I would not bet highly on the Kazahks staying up. No shame in that but the Danes have been at this for 5 straight years and have a program on the rise. The Kazahks did well to win Div 1 A and this event will be a memory they will cherish.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I would not bet highly on the Kazahks staying up. No shame in that but the Danes have been at this for 5 straight years and have a program on the rise. The Kazahks did well to win Div 1 A and this event will be a memory they will cherish.

Yeah, even though the Danes have been losing badly score wise they are close in shots, which is something this team can't say, however the Danes have yet to score, so if Kazak can put on a great goalie performance and some goals they might have a shot, don't know if they can do it over 3 games though.

Joel

Dec 31, 2018

This might be true but Kazahks can at least line up one line that can get something done. Who can Danes get out there? Rondbjerg and Setkov? Rondbjerg has been getting some chances and still hasn't even scored and Setkov has looked quite bad as well. Obviously it's hard to play all alone but wouldn't be surprised if Danes get relegated.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
We literally hit like 5 or 6 posts and 1 crossbar. The game was over after the first period and Slovaks knew it. We basically played our bottom 6 forwards and bottom pair defense for majority of the third period. And what were you saying about Kazakh goalie being leagues better than Hlavaj, Sklenar, etc.?

Reactions: smitty10

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
We literally hit like 5 or 6 posts and 1 crossbar. The game was over after the first period and Slovaks knew it. We basically played our bottom 6 forwards and bottom pair defense for majority of the third period. And what were you saying about Kazakh goalie being leagues better than Hlavaj, Sklenar, etc.?

Yeremeyev is way better than any of the rostered Slovak goalies at this point in their career. It's why the fans in BC were so vocal cheering for him. You only have to look at Twitter to see who had the more impressive performance. Yeremeyev was hung out to dry. There was even a 3 on 0 breakaway that he stopped.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
Yeremeyev is way better than any of the rostered Slovak goalies at this point in their career. It's why the fans in BC were so vocal cheering for him. You only have to look at Twitter to see who had the more impressive performance. Yeremeyev was hung out to dry. There was even a 3 on 0 breakaway that he stopped.
everything that you’ve claimed about Kazakhstan has not come true. You said Yeremeyev is much better than Slovak goaltenders, so why couldn’t he keep the game close? Than in the game thread you claimed that Kazakhs would get off to a fast start and Slovaks should be prepared and that Kazakhstan would most likely get first goal, which was quickly proven to be bogus. And now you claim that Slovakia is closer to Kazakhstan than they are to top 5 nations. I’d say Slovakia, Czech Republic and Switzerland are in the middle tier, a good few levels above Kazakhstan. Oh well, no matter the result you stay with your opinion, I respect that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad