WJC: Kazakhstan 2019 Roster Talk

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Here are they exhibition game results so far:

2:0 All Star Freshmen BCIHL
4:3 Trinity Spartans (BCIHL)
6:2 University of Victoria (BCIHL)

They have one more game scheduled against Alberni Bulldogs DEC20. These results probably don't mean much, but as far I remember our national team usually were losing to such exhibition games against local sides prior to WJC tournament.

That was the game I was most impressed about just because of the size and maturity of the Vikes (lots of 95's-97's-- that ~5 year gap is massive) and I feel like Kaz's big weakness is going to be the size of their backend but they were really fast. I really feel like this team could be the talk of the town in a week. Not a chance they'll medal, but this is a team to watch.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Yeremeyev vs. any goalie Slovakia goalie. Without a doubt. Slovakia's goalies this year are very bad. It's even been a reason for concern in the Slovakia team talk.

And to comment on your previous post. It's not a joke. The Slovakian team isn't great this year. Particularly in net. And if you're relying on a 19 year old USHL'er (Pospisil) as one of your main offensive weapons you're going to struggle. Name one 19 year old USHL'er that's thrived in the WJC? Any former USHL'er who's found success in this tournament moved on to a more competitive league by their 19th birthday because they have the skill to do so. I think Kazakhstan and Slovakia when considering all the elements of what makes a team, are close, and when you consider their group's strength and how neither Slovakia or Kazak will likely get a point from any of those 3, it's not out of the question that in 1 game (rather than a possible 3 in the regulation) that the Kazak have a real chance to surprise, especially since they have the better goalie.
They're not relying on one USHLer for offense by any means. This team, for the first time in a while, has depth. They will be able to hang around in games with top teams and could upset a team or two.

Slovakia's squad is full of players having good seasons in NA. Ruzicka, Pospisil and Roman are all NHL drafted forwards and PPG+ in their leagues. While Hrehorcak, Okuliar, Kukuca and Cajkovic are all just under PPG with Ivan being a top Dman on his team. Not to mention the players playing in top Euro pro and junior leagues like Fehervary, Krivosik, Korencik, etc.

This will be the best Slovak team we've seen in years if their goaltenders can hold their own. Kazakhstan will not be beating them if they matched up in relegation.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
That was the game I was most impressed about just because of the size and maturity of the Vikes (lots of 95's-97's-- that ~5 year gap is massive) and I feel like Kaz's big weakness is going to be the size of their backend but they were really fast. I really feel like this team could be the talk of the town in a week. Not a chance they'll medal, but this is a team to watch.
Love your enthusiasm, but even though they are no worse than Denmark, survival in elite itself will be a positive surprise.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com

Do you have boxscores for these games?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Do you have boxscores for these games?

Some of them. I don't think all of the games had official scorekeepers, but I could be wrong.

Kazakhstan National Junior Team vs. Trinity Western - Box Score - 12/13/2018

From what I saw for the other games, in terms of just scoring, this is what I have in my notes.

Muratov (unassisted)
Mitenkov (Verachshagin, Muratov)

The big takeaway is the Kazak PP is going to impress, The Daniyar's are going to confuse the hell out of the casters, and are damn good. I did not really know too much about Samat, but he's a good one. This team pours it on and then lets off the gas, and like a lot of posters here mentioned, the team is basically ran through 3 players (Daniyar, Gatiyatov, Daniyar)-- but their whole system revolves around that. They remind me a lot of the Ehlers and Bjorkstrand Danish team.

Reactions: BigBadBoar

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
Some of them. I don't think all of the games had official scorekeepers, but I could be wrong.

Kazakhstan National Junior Team vs. Trinity Western - Box Score - 12/13/2018

From what I saw for the other games, in terms of just scoring, this is what I have in my notes.

Muratov (unassisted)
Mitenkov (Verachshagin, Muratov)

The big takeaway is the Kazak PP is going to impress, The Daniyar's are going to confuse the hell out of the casters, and are damn good. I did not really know too much about Samat, but he's a good one. This team pours it on and then lets off the gas, and like a lot of posters here mentioned, the team is basically ran through 3 players (Daniyar, Gatiyatov, Daniyar)-- but their whole system revolves around that. They remind me a lot of the Ehlers and Bjorkstrand Danish team.

Besides those three, valeri orekhov is also a leader for this team.

Reactions: greasysnapper

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Last game goal was tended by 00' born Nurek and he kept a shutout, thus he might earn something more than a place on the bench. I'm fine with everything as long as the main guy isn't Karatayev, he is not good at all even for D1A standards.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Interested in watching this team play. Undersized and unknown but sounds like there is some real skill here and loads of chemistry. Even if they are relegated, they figure to be more entertaining than some of the D1A promoted nations most years. Can see them getting a lot of love from fans (outside their own nations) especially if they spring an upset or put up a feisty fight against a big nation early on...

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
A kid tearing up my local jr A team made the team. He has 70 points in 29 games or something like that as a 2000 born player. Keep in mind this is against Canadian Jr A players lmao. Goes to show ya just how talented these kids really are.

WingsMike

Registered Man
Jan 28, 2012
A kid tearing up my local jr A team made the team. He has 70 points in 29 games or something like that as a 2000 born player. Keep in mind this is against Canadian Jr A players lmao. Goes to show ya just how talented these kids really are.
What's his name? I don't see him on eliteprospects

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
Yeremeyev vs. any goalie Slovakia goalie. Without a doubt. Slovakia's goalies this year are very bad. It's even been a reason for concern in the Slovakia team talk.

And to comment on your previous post. It's not a joke. The Slovakian team isn't great this year. Particularly in net. And if you're relying on a 19 year old USHL'er (Pospisil) as one of your main offensive weapons you're going to struggle. Name one 19 year old USHL'er that's thrived in the WJC? Any former USHL'er who's found success in this tournament moved on to a more competitive league by their 19th birthday because they have the skill to do so. I think Kazakhstan and Slovakia when considering all the elements of what makes a team, are close, and when you consider their group's strength and how neither Slovakia or Kazak will likely get a point from any of those 3, it's not out of the question that in 1 game (rather than a possible 3 in the regulation) that the Kazak have a real chance to surprise, especially since they have the better goalie.

Really ? LoL. Did you see game USA vs SVK ?

And If you think that MHL is better like USHL and CHL so you know nothing about hockey leagues. Because the best junior hockey leagues are: CHL, USHL and SuperElite.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Really ? LoL. Did you see game USA vs SVK ?

And If you think that MHL is better like USHL and CHL so you know nothing about hockey leagues. Because the best junior hockey leagues are: CHL, USHL and SuperElite.

Yep, I have now seen every game from the tournament. Some live in the arena. I have never once said the MHL is better than any of those leagues though I do believe there are SOME MHL teams that can compete with teams in those leagues, I've merely stated that the Kazak team will surprise (and I think they have) because of their speed up front and goaltending and have what it takes to beat Slovakia on December 30th.

I guarantee you, there are more people now who hadn't had the opportunity of watching this team play before, but now have as the tournament has commenced, who feel the same. Especially as the Slovaks have not overly impressed.

This is not a bad team. December 30th could be THE GAME OF THE TOURNAMENT. I feel like it's the Slovak's/Kazak's gold medal game, and I hope both teams come out and give their all.

Canuckroyal

Dec 28, 2018
I've watched both Kazakhstan and Slovakia live twice. I think Kazakhstan could spring a surprise against Slovakia for the simple reason they are good skaters and Slovakia does not skate that well.

No knock on the Slovakians as they have a lot of big players that are quality but don't skate that well. I also don't think they've used that size advantage particularly well. Particularly against the Americans who have a tiny team.

Kazakhstan has a couple of players that skate very well and while the team is very raw they have some quality.

Orehkov is a cut above the rest and you can tell he has played in the KHL. The Daniyar's are solid and #8 Zhorabek is a good player. He is probably their best skater and likes to hit.

For Slovakia Michal Ivan has stood out as has Popsipil, Liska, Hrehorcak. I think Slovakia will have too much quality but the game could be close.

Note, Michal Ivan plays junior hockey in my hometown and he is a quality player. He has also won the Memorial Cup.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I've watched both Kazakhstan and Slovakia live twice. I think Kazakhstan could spring a surprise against Slovakia for the simple reason they are good skaters and Slovakia does not skate that well.

No knock on the Slovakians as they have a lot of big players that are quality but don't skate that well. I also don't think they've used that size advantage particularly well. Particularly against the Americans who have a tiny team.

Kazakhstan has a couple of players that skate very well and while the team is very raw they have some quality.

Orehkov is a cut above the rest and you can tell he has played in the KHL. The Daniyar's are solid and #8 Zhorabek is a good player. He is probably their best skater and likes to hit.

For Slovakia Michal Ivan has stood out as has Popsipil, Liska, Hrehorcak. I think Slovakia will have too much quality but the game could be close.

Note, Michal Ivan plays junior hockey in my hometown and he is a quality player. He has also won the Memorial Cup.
Kazahks have been welcomed but they are not in the same class as the Slovaks at all. They will be underdogs in the relegation round against the Danes (if its the Swiss they have no hope). They have a young team and they are doing their best.

Canuckroyal

Dec 28, 2018
Kazahks have been welcomed but they are not in the same class as the Slovaks at all. They will be underdogs in the relegation round against the Danes (if its the Swiss they have no hope). They have a young team and they are doing their best.

The shot count between the US and Slovakia was somewhat similar to Kazakhstan vs US. We shall see how the game goes but I think it will be a lot closer than people think.

Slovakia are a frustrating team to watch as they didn't use their considerable size advantage against the US at all. They also play a collapsing style defence and usually only sent one forechecker which really limited their offence.

Yes they have better players than Kazakhstan but they aren't this mythical cut above as people are posting here. They also appear to be overcoached and I don't really like the style their team plays at all.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I don't think that the games that either Slovakia or Kazakhstan play against the top 3 teams in the group say much about the game between SVK and KAZ as both teams will likely play a different game than they are playing against the clear favourites.

The Kazakhs could certainly give Slovakia a run for their money, but the Slovaks have had a lot of practice in this kind of clutch games in this tourney and should have the resources to prepare the players mentally for this. We haven't lost this clutch game even once since this format of the tournament was introduced.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Why isn't Danil Antropov playing for Kazakhstan , did he receive an offer?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00