WJC: Kazakhstan 2019 Roster Talk

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Didn't see a thread about the Kazak team. And while I don't think they light the world on fire or anything, I actually think they might have what it takes to surprise and get into the quarterfinals due to Group B and their December 30th matchup against Slovakia.

Players to watch:

Artur Gatiyatov
Sayan Daniyar

^ I think that forward duo will be fun to watch, they've played with each other for 2 years and have really solid chemistry. They'll be the ones to carry the team up front. Due to those 2 I think they're close to what a few other teams have for forwards this tourny.

Demid Yeremeyev

Big question is Yeremeyev and if he can do what other underdog teams in the past have done, and that's ride a hot goalie. He's not a bad goalie, I've seen him completely dominate a tournament (back in 2017, at the U18 Div1's) so he's got it in him to steal a game or two.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
Gatiyatov looks like a dynamic offensive guy from the stats, but his size scares me. Might be a little outdated, but elite prospects has him listed as just 5'7" and 130 pounds.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Gatiyatov looks like a dynamic offensive guy from the stats, but his size scares me. Might be a little outdated, but elite prospects has him listed as just 5'7" and 130 pounds.

Old information, but he's still severely undersized: Гатиятов Артур You forget Valeri Orekhov, who's having a good season in the KHL and had an instrumental role last year, but who is undersized too.
The two forwards are very good, what else can be said. Two player are not enough, though, and of course Kazakhstan is a prime candidate for relegation. I hope I'm wrong, but they will hardly record a single point in the round robin, and Denmark has a solid squad. Denmark has more pro players, and for Kazakhstan, having most of the good players at about 5'9", 170 lbs is not an advantage.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Old information, but he's still severely undersized: Гатиятов Артур You forget Valeri Orekhov, who's having a good season in the KHL and had an instrumental role last year, but who is undersized too.
The two forwards are very good, what else can be said. Two player are not enough, though, and of course Kazakhstan is a prime candidate for relegation. I hope I'm wrong, but they will hardly record a single point in the round robin, and Denmark has a solid squad. Denmark has more pro players, and for Kazakhstan, having most of the good players at about 5'9", 170 lbs is not an advantage.

Don't disagree about the Denmark/Swiss if that's who they play, that's why I think the more important game is against Slovakia on December 30th. With who's in that Group, I wonder if Slovakia can muster a win against any of those big teams, meaning that one game, one game where anything can happen is going to be a HUGE game for both the Kazak and the Slovaks.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Didn't see a thread about the Kazak team. And while I don't think they light the world on fire or anything, I actually think they might have what it takes to surprise and get into the quarterfinals due to Group B and their December 30th matchup against Slovakia.

Players to watch:

Artur Gatiyatov
Sayan Daniyar

^ I think that forward duo will be fun to watch, they've played with each other for 2 years and have really solid chemistry. They'll be the ones to carry the team up front. Due to those 2 I think they're close to what a few other teams have for forwards this tourny.

Demid Yeremeyev

Big question is Yeremeyev and if he can do what other underdog teams in the past have done, and that's ride a hot goalie. He's not a bad goalie, I've seen him completely dominate a tournament (back in 2017, at the U18 Div1's) so he's got it in him to steal a game or two.

I'd say, this kid should be watched above anybody else D Valeri Orekhov - Barys, KHL (2017 undrafted)

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Will interesting to follow their games from an aspect that this Kazakhstan roster is basically an upper midtable MHL team, I'm personally curios how they stack up against rest of the world.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Will interesting to follow their games from an aspect that this Kazakhstan roster is basically an upper midtable MHL team, I'm personally curios how they stack up against rest of the world.

TEAM is their big x-factor. Like I said they do have a handful of skilled players, but they do have the benefit of chemistry. It's one of the reasons I give extra value to the Danes, or Swiss most seasons, there's a benefit in a short tournament to have that built in chemistry that an all-star team like Canada or Finland just doesn't have. Will this team win gold? Not a chance. But I really think they've got a chance to not only stay unrelegated, but make it to the quarters.

Reactions: Vandalay Industries

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Gotta remember that when they won Division 1A last year, that Kazakhstan did it with 10 players eligible to return, including their best player (Artur Gatiyatov). That experience and hopefully chemistry should play a huge role if they are to avoid relegation.

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
Don't disagree about the Denmark/Swiss if that's who they play, that's why I think the more important game is against Slovakia on December 30th. With who's in that Group, I wonder if Slovakia can muster a win against any of those big teams, meaning that one game, one game where anything can happen is going to be a HUGE game for both the Kazak and the Slovaks.

Slovakia has one of the best team fot the last ten/fifteen years. They (kazaks) have a greater chance of success against Swiss or Denmark.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Is Demid Yeremeyev related to Vitali Yeremeyev, a long time Kazak national team goalie?
He is not his son for sure, but could be a more distant relative. Then again it is a pretty common last name so probably not related at all.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I don't see much of a chance for Kazakhstan to beat Slovakia. Slovak roster looks pretty solid this year. Maybe they could avoid relegation by beating the bottom team from the other group (Denmark?).

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I don't see much of a chance for Kazakhstan to beat Slovakia. Slovak roster looks pretty solid this year. Maybe they could avoid relegation by beating the bottom team from the other group (Denmark?).

We'll have to see. From what I know of the NA Slovak players, this is not a great team, very overrated, and from my limited viewings of some of the Euros I'd disagree, especially in net. I think they'll go into the tournament with the weakest goalie out of every team. We'll have to see though.

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia
We'll have to see. From what I know of the NA Slovak players, this is not a great team, very overrated, and from my limited viewings of some of the Euros I'd disagree, especially in net. I think they'll go into the tournament with the weakest goalie out of every team. We'll have to see though.
Really? Maybe Ruzicka overrated and I’d agree with that. But Pospisil has been the best centre in the ushl this year and milos Roman has been the best player in his team. We’ll see though when game comes

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017

I really hope that your post is only joke.

M. Pospisil, M. Roman, M. Cajkovic are overrated? And next player like P. Hrehorcak, M. Ivan, O. Okuliar, Kukuca, Ruzicka are solid players.

Fehervary play in SHL cca 17 minutes per game. Liska play in KHL and he is one of the best forwards in slovan. Kelemen was injured but he is healthy nowadays, Krivosik the same. They are very solid players.

You do not understand that this group of slovak players is the best for ten/fifteen years without exaggeration. You have not seen them at all but you evaluate. My advise you will watch for example WC U18 in 2017 or other tournaments plyers born in 99´. And then you will write about overrated players. Thank you

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
I really hope that your post is only joke.

M. Pospisil, M. Roman, M. Cajkovic are overrated? And next player like P. Hrehorcak, M. Ivan, O. Okuliar, Kukuca, Ruzicka are solid players.

Fehervary play in SHL cca 17 minutes per game. Liska play in KHL and he is one of the best forwards in slovan. Kelemen was injured but he is healthy nowadays, Krivosik the same. They are very solid players.

You do not understand that this group of slovak players is the best for ten/fifteen years without exaggeration. You have not seen them at all but you evaluate. My advise you will watch for example WC U18 in 2017 or other tournaments plyers born in 99´. And then you will write about overrated players. Thank you
They are solid, but on international scale nothing more than average. We are missing a top talent, someone who would be better than the rest of the team, who would maybe lead the team like Reway in 2015. But still a very good team by our standards, yeah.

Btw this is a Kazakhstan u20 team talk :D

Last edited:

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
They are solid, but on international scale nothing more than average. We are missing a top talent, someone who would be better than the rest of the team, who would maybe lead the team like Reway in 2015. But still a very good team by our standards, yeah.

Btw this is a Kazakhstan u20 team talk :D

My first reaction was on post about slovak power. This is kazak team talk so you will tell me how many kazak players have higher quality like slovak players (wrote in previous post). I know that canada, finladn, czech, sweder, russia and USA are on higher level but countries like kazakhstan, belarus etc have lower quality.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
My first reaction was on post about slovak power. This is kazak team talk so you will tell me how many kazak players have higher quality like slovak players (wrote in previous post). I know that canada, finladn, czech, sweder, russia and USA are on higher level but countries like kazakhstan, belarus etc have lower quality.

As far as I can tell, no one in this thread said Kazachstan has higher quality players than Slovakia.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018

Yeremeyev vs. any goalie Slovakia goalie. Without a doubt. Slovakia's goalies this year are very bad. It's even been a reason for concern in the Slovakia team talk.

And to comment on your previous post. It's not a joke. The Slovakian team isn't great this year. Particularly in net. And if you're relying on a 19 year old USHL'er (Pospisil) as one of your main offensive weapons you're going to struggle. Name one 19 year old USHL'er that's thrived in the WJC? Any former USHL'er who's found success in this tournament moved on to a more competitive league by their 19th birthday because they have the skill to do so. I think Kazakhstan and Slovakia when considering all the elements of what makes a team, are close, and when you consider their group's strength and how neither Slovakia or Kazak will likely get a point from any of those 3, it's not out of the question that in 1 game (rather than a possible 3 in the regulation) that the Kazak have a real chance to surprise, especially since they have the better goalie.

salamandra

Aug 31, 2017
Yeremeyev vs. any goalie Slovakia goalie. Without a doubt. Slovakia's goalies this year are very bad. It's even been a reason for concern in the Slovakia team talk.

And to comment on your previous post. It's not a joke. The Slovakian team isn't great this year. Particularly in net. And if you're relying on a 19 year old USHL'er (Pospisil) as one of your main offensive weapons you're going to struggle. Name one 19 year old USHL'er that's thrived in the WJC? Any former USHL'er who's found success in this tournament moved on to a more competitive league by their 19th birthday because they have the skill to do so. I think Kazakhstan and Slovakia when considering all the elements of what makes a team, are close, and when you consider their group's strength and how neither Slovakia or Kazak will likely get a point from any of those 3, it's not out of the question that in 1 game (rather than a possible 3 in the regulation) that the Kazak have a real chance to surprise, especially since they have the better goalie.

Again, You will write how many matches you see but in slovak team talk. Kazakstan has the weakest team. One/two level(s) below slovaks team.

Reactions: james12

Outofbodyinhungary

Aug 6, 2018
Bratislava, Slovakia

Kazakhstan has some talented players but are you really saying this is a bad Slovak team? Well Slovak friends on here, I guess Samuel bucek and radovan bondra were the heights of Slovak development :help:

Did kazhkastan have a goalie drafted last year that played with their WJC team? Didn’t think so. Both of our goalies, who were never supposed to be drafted, played great performances in the WJC and were drafted. The very same situation could emerge. You must be only looking at elite prospects numbers unless of course you have seen Hlavaj and/or Sklenar play? How many Kazakh goalies have had a successful career in the nhl. Goalies are voodoo and no one can know how dominant they will be. Skarek was supposed to great for Czechs last year but lost job. I’d honestly view it as a failure if the Slovaks did not beat Kazakh by 5 goals. And you keep saying how this Slovak team isn’t great and talk about players that play at a ppg level in league far above MHL... :huh:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
1)Did kazhkastan have a goalie drafted last year that played with their WJC team? Didn’t think so. Both of our goalies, who were never supposed to be drafted, played great performances in the WJC and were drafted. The very same situation could emerge.

2) You must be only looking at elite prospects numbers unless of course you have seen Hlavaj and/or Sklenar play?

3) How many Kazakh goalies have had a successful career in the nhl.

4) Goalies are voodoo and no one can know how dominant they will be. Skarek was supposed to great for Czechs last year but lost job.

5) I’d honestly view it as a failure if the Slovaks did not beat Kazakh by 5 goals. And you keep saying how this Slovak team isn’t great and talk about players that play at a ppg level in league far above MHL... :huh:

1) Because something happened in the past it could happen again! That's a argument! Not that Durny was a MUCH better goalie than Kostelny, Sklenar, or Hlavaj. Hlavaj could be a good goalie in 2 years at the WJC level. But no, none are remotely close to what you had with Durny.

2) I have seen Hlavaj play at last years U18's. Sklenar and Kostelny I saw 2 years ago at the previous years U18, as well as seeing Kostelny in a league game this year where he got lit up.

3) It doesn't matter. We're talking about a U20 tournament in 2 weeks, not a prospects chances of excelling at the NHL level. Remember Godla?

4) Goalies are hard to predict, however, in saying that you can typically have a fair idea of how they will perform based on previous viewings. The WJC pools are a great example of that where you can commonly see the goalies that excel being picked year in and year out.

5) I don't think the USHL is far above the MHL. And I'd argue that there are MHL teams that could beat CHL teams. That being said I'm judging it based on what I've seen in action with both teams and their skill level. Really looking forward to December 30th!

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I agree than there are maybe 3-4 Kazak players, which can compete with the majority of the Slovak team, but as a whole, Kazakhstan is a clear outsider of the group. Any team can surprise, but in this case, it would really by a huge surprise.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Here are they exhibition game results so far:

2:0 All Star Freshmen BCIHL
4:3 Trinity Spartans (BCIHL)
6:2 University of Victoria (BCIHL)

They have one more game scheduled against Alberni Bulldogs DEC20. These results probably don't mean much, but as far I remember our national team usually were losing to such exhibition games against local sides prior to WJC tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad