Post-Game Talk: Kassian suspended 7 games for kick

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
At 1.9 M he makes around 25k a game, he’ll get no sympathy from me, bring back Benson

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
7 Games. I knew they were using a pair of dice to decide on the length. Bush league but not unexpected. I bet the KHL has better officiating and are more consistent with giving fines and suspensions.

What? It's 4 games for the kick since it was a bit more forceful and direct than the Skinner one and than 3 games for having another suspension recently, no pair of dice needed

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Fair punishment. No complaints.

Gotta say though, our entire 1st line (2nd line really) is out for 2-3 weeks... I hope to god we can hold on to our spot in the standings.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Who cares? Classic deflecting. Just because Chara got off light (he absolutely should be suspended) has no bearing on Kassian’s boneheaded play.

I am not sure how but you managed to miss the point entirely....consistency of a ruling matters.

This intent nonsense is just that....nonsense.
Why...how can you possibly know Kassians intent without getting into his mind? Based on the video we all saw how can you possibly know what his intent was?
You are projecting here.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Im good with the suspension.

Now if we want to talk about other suspensions handed out by the league thats a whole different story

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Surprised it's so little. With all the **** DOPS is dealing on the hit to the head front I figured they'd slam the door on any skatework rearing its head into the game with both hands

They did. A 7 game suspension historically for the NHL is a big deal, it's nearly an 8th of the season. Kassian wasn't trying to hurt him and his story of trying to break free is believable given the video. It was still really dumb though hence the 7 games.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
7 is fair. I have to assume he conducted himself well in his hearing.

As the saying goes: "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Whatever. Here’s his rap sheet:

Received a 20-game suspension in his first game with the Windsor Spitfires in the one play he has said he regrets.

Received a 4-game suspension in the OHL playoffs for a two-handed slash from behind to the leg of an opponent after an empty net goal had been scored, followed by numerous cross-checks to his downed opponent, in an incident to which he claimed his opponent embellished the initial slash. Asked if he regretted the play, he stated "if anything, I'll hit him a little harder next time".

Recieved a 2-game suspension at the World Juniors, in an incident to which he claimed he was only suspended because of his reputation.

Received a 8-game suspension for breaking Sam Gagner's jaw with a slash, followed by mocking Gagner's injury the next time they played.

Received a 3-game suspension for boarding Brendan Dillon.

Attacked Taylor Hall from behind in a similar manner he later did to Tkachuk.

Stood over Jimmy Vesey, who was lying on the ice having had a tooth knocked out and bleeding from the mouth after incidental contact with Kassian, and shouted at Vesey "I hope you bleed out on the ice".

Received a 2-game suspension for attacking Matthew Tkachuk, to which he stated he would "do it again". (This one I’m okay with)

Now pair that with what he did last night, lied about how/why it happened, tried to justify that it was just a “light tap.”

Yeah, you’re right. No problems here.

Edit: We all know his substance abuse history and I totally applaud how he was able to overcome that and put his path on a better course. It’s amazing. But that doesn’t negate the fact that what he did last night was incredibly incredibly stupid.

Fantastic post, and thanks for this.

Disgusting history.

Its really hard as a fan to even try to look past some or all of this.

One could say bullet dodged I guess but I'm not so sure of that. 7 games is pretty important and the team is now shorted one more player thanks to Kass stupidity.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The thing about this that upsets me the most is he didn't get suspended for a play that went awry, or got over emotional and laid a bad hit or even the attack on Tkachuk that was at least aggravated

This was literally during a nothing play where he literally was being stupid, he knows he f***ed up at least which is very different than old Kassian.

Doesn't change the fact that we are now literally missing 3 guys that were playing as our first line, what, 3 days ago?

It wasn't selfish, it wasnt a mistake or a misread. It was just pure dumb. Glad he isn't trying to get out of it.

Reactions: OilersfaninTO

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
Rookie move. Should have cross-checked cernak in the throat instead and cut the league a $5000 cheque.

Reactions: TB12

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The thing about this that upsets me the most is he didn't get suspended for a play that went awry, or got over emotional and laid a bad hit or even the attack on Tkachuk that was at least aggravated

This was literally during a nothing play where he literally was being stupid, he knows he ****ed up at least which is very different than old Kassian.

Doesn't change the fact that we are now literally missing 3 guys that were playing as our first line, what, 3 days ago?

It wasn't selfish, it wasnt a mistake or a misread. It was just pure dumb. Glad he isn't trying to get out of it.

The thing is thats part of what makes Kassian the player that he is....he is unpredictable. Thats what makes other players think twice before messing with him

I cant help but think though that his new contract is in his head. He has made a ton of dumb mistakes with and without the puck the past few games. he just hasnt looked engaged at all.
That play was another example.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The thing is thats part of what makes Kassian the player that he is....he is unpredictable. Thats what makes other players think twice before messing with him

I cant help but think though that his new contract is in his head. He has made a ton of dumb mistakes with and without the puck the past few games. he just hasnt looked engaged at all.
That play was another example.
I'm hoping the suspension wakes him up and he goes back to the guy who was one of the best 5v5 guys this year.

Reactions: LaGu and guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

This was literally during a nothing play where he literally was being stupid, he knows he ****ed up at least which is very different than old Kassian.

Its pure irresponsible. Its taking yourself out of the lineup, again, for multiple games. Its that this is a recent repeat performance is the hardest thing to digest.

So that a team suddenly suffering appreciable injury is now suffering from appreciable stupidity and a player essentially taking himself out of the lineup. Theres no way, and nobody could say otherwise, that this wasn't going to be a several game suspension. Which it is. I kind of thought 8-10 myself so he got off easier. But the moment he did this he was going to be out of the lineup. Worth it?

I mean I can't even imagine what goes on Kass brain. That's the biggest problem is that he is a loose cannon, unpredictable, irresponsible, and of tenuous value.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Its pure irresponsible. Its taking yourself out of the lineup, again, for multiple games. Its that this is a recent repeat performance is the hardest thing to digest.

So that a team suddenly suffering appreciable injury is now suffering from appreciable stupidity and a player essentially taking himself out of the lineup. Theres no way, and nobody could say otherwise, that this wasn't going to be a several game suspension. Which it is. I kind of thought 8-10 myself so he got off easier. But the moment he did this he was going to be out of the lineup. Worth it?

I mean I can't even imagine what goes on Kass brain. That's the biggest problem is that he is a loose cannon, unpredictable, irresponsible, and of tenuous value.
His unpredictability can be to his benefit when he isn't being pure stupid. Helps guys play odd around him cause they don't know what he will do

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm hoping the suspension wakes him up and he goes back to the guy who was one of the best 5v5 guys this year.

I hope so too but this team has now lost the entire 1st line....Kassian, Neal and McDavid. Thats 63 goals out of the lineup.
Just a massive blow.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Nice going Kassian, what a great time to get suspended.

No McDavid, no Neal and now no Kassian.

We can officially say the Draisaitl line is the 1st line on the team now. Because no one from the first line is playing now.

:facepalm: FML

Kassian needs to get his shit back together. We need him at his best.

Reactions: guymez

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
I havent seen one comment the last two weeks that has been positive about Kass's on ice play and now he's a big loss to the team? I prefer Kass in the lineup than out but hes been more of a liability than an asset the past two weeks. Maybe this will even get Benson in the lineup and some actual minutes :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad