Mar 8, 2013
@ Florida
@ Carolina
vs Boston
vs Minnesota
@ Los Angeles
@ Anaheim
@ Vegas

He's back, hopefully smarter, for the February 29th game vs Winnipeg.

Tom Poti

Apr 12, 2009
Edmonton
7 is fair enough, maybe one more than expected but all in all decent sentence by the DoPS with everything considered.

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Result shouldn’t even be a factor, intent is the key.
yes and his intent was to push the guy away and get loose, there was no intent to injure . And he basically gave him a quick push with his skates on a padded area on the chest where the guy did not even feel anything. lets be real, yes it was a stupid idiotic move by Kass but it was not meant to injure and didn't even come close to even making a mark on the guy. it was a reaction play and i thought maybe 4 games would be plenty

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Fair. It wasn't done maliciously i thought but it's still really dumb. Considering he was just suspended, and probably lightly (although how Tkachuk wasn't will always mystify me), this is probably pretty reasonable. Unlike head shots (apparently) this does need to be strongly discouraged.

OilersfaninTO

Nov 25, 2018
That's kind of offensive considering what he went through when he got traded here bud. Watch what you say

Whatever. Here’s his rap sheet:

Received a 20-game suspension in his first game with the Windsor Spitfires in the one play he has said he regrets.

Received a 4-game suspension in the OHL playoffs for a two-handed slash from behind to the leg of an opponent after an empty net goal had been scored, followed by numerous cross-checks to his downed opponent, in an incident to which he claimed his opponent embellished the initial slash. Asked if he regretted the play, he stated "if anything, I'll hit him a little harder next time".

Recieved a 2-game suspension at the World Juniors, in an incident to which he claimed he was only suspended because of his reputation.

Received a 8-game suspension for breaking Sam Gagner's jaw with a slash, followed by mocking Gagner's injury the next time they played.

Received a 3-game suspension for boarding Brendan Dillon.

Attacked Taylor Hall from behind in a similar manner he later did to Tkachuk.

Stood over Jimmy Vesey, who was lying on the ice having had a tooth knocked out and bleeding from the mouth after incidental contact with Kassian, and shouted at Vesey "I hope you bleed out on the ice".

Received a 2-game suspension for attacking Matthew Tkachuk, to which he stated he would "do it again". (This one I’m okay with)

Now pair that with what he did last night, lied about how/why it happened, tried to justify that it was just a “light tap.”

Yeah, you’re right. No problems here.

Edit: We all know his substance abuse history and I totally applaud how he was able to overcome that and put his path on a better course. It’s amazing. But that doesn’t negate the fact that what he did last night was incredibly incredibly stupid.

Last edited:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Also I think the time off might be good for his noggin and get him refocused. He's not playing at some irreplaceable level at the moment.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Received a 20-game suspension in his first game with the Windsor Spitfires in the one play he has said he regrets.

Received a 4-game suspension in the OHL playoffs for a two-handed slash from behind to the leg of an opponent after an empty net goal had been scored, followed by numerous cross-checks to his downed opponent, in an incident to which he claimed his opponent embellished the initial slash. Asked if he regretted the play, he stated "if anything, I'll hit him a little harder next time".

Recieved a 2-game suspension at the World Juniors, in an incident to which he claimed he was only suspended because of his reputation.

Received a 8-game suspension for breaking Sam Gagner's jaw with a slash, followed by mocking Gagner's injury the next time they played.

Received a 3-game suspension for boarding Brendan Dillon.

Attacked Taylor Hall from behind in a similar manner he later did to Tkachuk.

Stood over Jimmy Vesey, who was lying on the ice having had a tooth knocked out and bleeding from the mouth after incidental contact with Kassian, and shouted at Vesey "I hope you bleed out on the ice".

Received a 2-game suspension for attacking Matthew Tkachuk, to which he stated he would "do it again". (This one I’m okay with)

Now pair that with what he did last night, lied about how/why it happened, tried to justify that it was just a “light tap.”

I will say i think that 8 game suspension might be the most ridiculously lenient suspension ever given. I've played hockey with guys who went to juniors, europe, and even one guy who made the show and given my experience i have no doubts he knew exactly what he was doing. Those guys are all so good and in control that he had to. Did he think it would be that bad? Probably not. Did he know he was going to slash him in the face? I just can't see how he didn't. To me that was worse than McSorley-Brasher and should have been at least half a season.

Tom Poti

Apr 12, 2009
Edmonton

so this proves the guy plays on the edge? the gagner incident was the worst for sure but i don't think we see him do something like that again. when you play the game kass does, same with a marchand or wilson, there are going to be times where they cross the line of being effective and being detrimental to the team. its what makes them so effective, makes you wonder why the teammates of these guys love them so much.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yikes. From the other angle you actually see when Kassian pulls his skate inward he comes really close to cutting the back of Archibald's neck. Skate blade hits Archibald right at the bottom of his helmet.

Reactions: space321

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad