Confirmed with Link: Kassian Signs - 4 Years, 3.2M Per

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
lets look to the Flames. They have Johny H and timid Monahan on their first line and are in desperate need of a RW. They would do 4 mill in a second for him and he would be a huge boost their team.

That’s exactly the type of move Calgary would have done. And it would have haunted us for years.

Reactions: o98 and ujju2

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This AAV on 2 years would have been ok. 4 years makes it bad.

so as the contract becomes worth a smaller percentage of the cap it becomes a worse deal?
Still waiting for you to say why this is a bad deal based on previous contracts the Oilers have given out.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Is there another NHL team that gives this deal? Its a UFA deal without hitting UFA. Pathetic.

Absolutely. Look no further than Brett Connolly who just got 3.5 last summer on a 4 year deal. Just like Kass, he’d never hit the 30 point mark before the previous season. Just like Kassian, he was known as a guy that could score goals at a pretty decent rate in a depth role, despite the lower point totals. Just like Kassian, he broke out right before getting paid. He doesn’t bring the physical side that Zack does, and he got even more money than Kassian

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
This AAV on 2 years would have been ok. 4 years makes it bad.

Im calling bullshit on this because in another post you’re saying that it’s a severe overpayment on a fourth liner.

So no. You made up your mind at some set number, anything higher is the worst contract of all time. Let’s stop pretending here.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
At worst it’s a year too long and 500K per year too much. And I’m someone who hated what he did in that last game.

Reactions: McTedi

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Lol what?

Kassian definitely gets the same term and probably an additional half a million to a million bucks in UFA.

I think the McDavid factor plays a lot into it. Look a Maroon. Barely even got a contract. i would have let him test the market. Then came back and signed for 2.5/3 years.

Reactions: Nostradumbass

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Genuis timing by Holland!!! Can't stress this enough. Massive game, and they announce that Kass, the point of controversy, they have his back

Not to mention how Drai 100% has the guys back...this is a huge win that should have ripple effects

Reactions: oil4life97

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I liked Kassian before it was fashionable to like him and mid last year people hated the guy on here. Saying this it is a classic oiler over pay over term.

Connor McDavid has sure made a lot of slug players big money.

4 year nice money deal for essentially playing with mcdavid.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes. If Kassian finishes in the range of 40-50 points and 20~ goals, there are probably 20 teams who line up to give him this contract, if not more.

This is a year too much, but a solid deal.

On the basis of the last 3 seasons of his play this is a 20pt player. He elevated towards the end of last season, and this season, because he was granted topsix play.

Any number of really normal players could get 40pts playing a whole season with McDrai. When your linemates are hitting it out of the ballpark for something like 120pt paces each, how can you not get pts out of that?

The thing is the Oilers selectively gave Kass this assignment in a contract year. Theres ZERO reason to sign this contract this early. See what happens first. Lets think worse scenario and the Oilers don't make the playoffs. In that case they should be trading this asset at the deadline. After pumping his tires. In Oilers world I guess you pump tires so you can pay a player more than he's worth.

Reactions: Weitz

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
700k too rich imo, but hopefully he can maintain his level of play over the next 4 years. He’s a streaky player so I doubt it, but let’s hope for the best.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Can't say I love that term.

For those fine with it, look no further than Kris Russell.

Well the Kris Russell deal was terrible from the outset.

Russell really hasn't changed the way he's played, he's no better or no worse from the day he signed the deal to now. It was just a terrible deal.

He's maybe lost a step.

If we're drawing comparables, If Kass plays the way he currently plays and just loses a step in 4 years, I'd still say this deal isn't terrible.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You only post to crap on the team and be negative

The team has been garbage for 15 years, you need to change your name to decade plus 5 of darkness.

For all of the 'always negative' guys here it is mind boggling how many always positive guys we have on here (way more than the negative guys) and the team has backed it up with nothing for 15 years.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
700k too rich imo, but hopefully he can maintain his level of play over the next 4 years. He’s a streaky player so I doubt it, but let’s hope for the best.

Is he guaranteed to play with mcdavid for the next 4 years? If so then yes, if not then no way.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think the McDavid factor plays a lot into it. Look a Maroon. Barely even got a contract. i would have let him test the market. Then came back and signed for 2.5/3 years.

It’s a year too long and 500K per year too much, at worst. Hardly “gross”. And at least this guarantees you get him, if he goes to UFA who knows what happens.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I liked Kassian before it was fashionable to like him and mid last year people hated the guy on here. Saying this it is a classic oiler over pay over term.

Connor McDavid has sure made a lot of slug players big money.

4 year nice money deal for essentially playing with mcdavid.

I wax one of the sacks of shit that wanted him gone two yrs ago.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Honestly surprised at the lack of trade protection. Always a good thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad