Confirmed with Link: Kassian Signs - 4 Years, 3.2M Per

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
This is a decent deal maybe a yr longer then would like but with the cap going up rumoured to be a lot over the next few yrs then in the 4th year I don’t think it will be so bad.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is a gross contract. This team never learns.

Essentially.

Think of one thing.

What the reaction would be had this contract occurred anytime else or for gods sake last season..

I get that Kassian has played well this season, with a topline, and I also get that he was a shadow much of the time after the playoffs.

Really two disappointing seasons, then a good one, and he gets this contract.

One has to remember the ONLY reason Kass had this topline gig is how few topsix players we have. If the team is even in a position to move him out of there he becomes a player that is not worth much at all.

You like this contract if you see Kassian being a topsix player the full duration of it. But that's a really double edged sword.

The Oilers basically pumped Kass's tires by putting him on firstline in effect so they would end up having to pay him more.

stupid.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
He’s not a bottom six winger right now.

His contract is overpaid by what, 1.2 million by you?

The humanity!

I don't understand why WE should pay a guy more than he is worth because he plays with McDavid. You trade those guys for assets and then slide in the next 4th liner that can play with McDavid.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Is there another NHL team that gives this deal? Its a UFA deal without hitting UFA. Pathetic.

Yes. If Kassian finishes in the range of 40-50 points and 20~ goals, there are probably 20 teams who line up to give him this contract, if not more.

This is a year too much, but a solid deal.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Yes. If Kassian finishes in the range of 40-50 points and 20~ goals, there are probably 20 teams who line up to give him this contract, if not more.

This is a year too much, but a solid deal.

Um no they don't. He plays with McDavid. Every team would take that into consideration. No other team is throwing him out on the first line.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
If Kassian is playing on the 2nd line does he get more than 2 million? This is terrible.

Why would you pay this guy more than 2 years, let alone more than 2.5 million?

He was already making 1.95 and hes playing better than he ever has so... yes

Reactions: ujju2

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Essentially.

Think of one thing.

What the reaction would be had this contract occurred anytime else or for gods sake last season..

I get that Kassian has played well this season, with a topline, and I also get that he was a shadow much of the time after the playoffs.

Really two disappointing seasons, then a good one, and he gets this contract.

One has to remember the ONLY reason Kass had this topline gig is how few topsix players we have. If the team is even in a position to move him out of there he becomes a player that is not worth much at all.

You like this contract if you see Kassian being a topsix player the full duration of it. But that's a really double edged sword.

The Oilers basically pumped Kass's tires by putting him on firstline in effect so they would end up having to pay him more.

stupid.

“Think of one thing” ...proceeds to write a long ass post that is full of what ifs and conjecture. :laugh:

On the flip side they don’t play him on the top line (where he fits very well) and keep him only on the 3rd and 4th lines, he realizes that he will only ever get bottom six minutes with a mixed cast of AHL level players and leaves as a free agent at the end of the year. The Oilers then spend the next season and longer looking for a fast, physical winger they can play on McDavid’s line that actually has enough skill to finish plays and is also a strong defensive player.

are you mad that he has been one of the biggest reasons why we have been able to split up MCDavid and Drai and now you’re boy is having to do a bit more heavy lifting?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yes there is. Did you see what Pittsburgh paid Tanev? Or the Ferland contract?

Kassian would’ve gotten more as a UFA, plain and simple.

NOBODY would have been putting Kass into a Ferland comparable the vast majority of his last contract.

We're one year removed from Kass being so f***ing bad people, and the team, just assumed he wanted to be traded. We really forget, so quickly, the ups and downs of a player. The way Kass was playing last season I wouldn't even have him on my team. This year they're setting him up to be overpaid. Through the orgs own inept shipping out of talent they ended up in a situation where they had to play guys like Kass in topsix. Then they end up having to pay for that own incompetence, again, by paying a normative winger this kind of money. This is a guy that could still have 15 pt seasons and do not much at all playing on the wrong line.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
On the flip side they don’t play him on the top line (where he fits very well) and keep him only on the 3rd and 4th lines, he realizes that he will only ever get bottom six minutes with a mixed cast of AHL level players and leaves as a free agent at the end of the year. The Oilers then spend the next season and longer looking for a fast, physical winger they can play on McDavid’s line that actually has enough skill to finish plays and is also a strong defensive player.

I suspect Kassian falls off a cliff in a year a two (like all these players do) and now you have a 3.2 million 4th liner.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Is there another NHL team that gives this deal? Its a UFA deal without hitting UFA. Pathetic.

lets look to the Flames. They have Johny H and timid Monahan on their first line and are in desperate need of a RW. They would do 4 mill in a second for him and he would be a huge boost their team.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Love it. 3.2 is in no way an overpay with what he’s done this year, and the term likely had a lot to do with that. He’s turned his life around here, and the guys love him. Why would you want to throw that away, and risk things not working out? This way, he’s here another 4 years, and if he left a little money on the table, oh well.

also, I love this getting announced right before the game. I guarantee that’s Holland playing head games with Tkaturtle, to drive home that he can’t get away from Kass

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Too much. By half mill per.

I think that is a mistake to sign such a depth player to that high a number.

Hope it works out and he stays productive on McDavid's wing. Is nice that he can keep up and throw down but still too much.

Like the player so hopefully it doesn't bite us too bad.

Think a signing like this, combined with the rumored extensions of our depth, plus Nurse, plus Nuge and Larsson... Hall ain't happening. Which suits me fine.

Reactions: Weitz

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't understand why WE should pay a guy more than he is worth because he plays with McDavid. You trade those guys for assets and then slide in the next 4th liner that can play with McDavid.

What good teams do.

2 weeks ago the same fans on this board cheering this contract were vilifying the stupidity of Kassian "costing the team a boa game" The PGT thread was called "Kasshole" I defended Kass against that variety of attack, thought it was pathetic and said so, but people lining up to high five this contract now is surreal. This board is so up and down on any player.

Reactions: Aerchon

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I suspect Kassian falls off a cliff in a year a two (like all these players do) and now you have a 3.2 million 4th liner.

it’s a possibility. I doubt he loses his physical abilities in a single year.

Can't say I love that term.

For those fine with it, look no further than Kris Russell.

for those who hate it look no further than Glencross. Or you can compare him to a defensive defensman, one who has actually lived up to his contract quite well, regardless of what the people who hate everything say.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
This AAV on 2 years would have been ok. 4 years makes it bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad