Speculation: Kassian extension coming?

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I’m not wrong, he’s either a fourth liner or he’s an important member of Connor McJesus’ line (who apparently has a hard time finding chemistry with his RWs). 3x3 doesn’t scream to me important top line player which was being argues. Which is it?
He's only important on that line because the Oilers have bad, possibly the worst in the NHL, wingers and he's the best fit. If they had actual top 6 wingers I'm sure Kass would be on the 3rd line.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
"Tkachuk, are you ready to meet your new teammate"?

Kassian walks in.

"oh..."
giphy.gif

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
How do you like him in Oil town?
He's a good complementary player. Has skill to keep up, plays tough, and sticks up for his teammates.

His points are inflated since he is riding shotgun to McDavid and he's probably better suited on the third line.

Overall, I'd be very happy if he was re-signed at a decent price (3-4 years at $3-3.5m/year)

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
He gave 4,25 M to abdelkader

Sorry EDM fans...Kenny gonna give at least 4 to Kassian

Cucumber

The best
Feb 7, 2014
4x4 I am thinking.

Good for him. He got a lot of hate in Vancouver after the whole trade and people really loved Hodgson thinking he would become the next captain. Everyone was pretty mad about the trade so he came into a toxic situation and he got involved with drugs and other things while here. Got shipped onto Montreal with the crazy amount of expections and looked to be on his way out. Finally ends up in Edmonton a team that's been terrible for so long and a city that isn't as exciting as Vancouver or Montreal by any means. Got his life back on track, beat those addictions and is now thriving as far we know! I really couldn't be happier, he seems like a really nice guy who been through a lot.

I really hope he is smart with his money and can enjoy retirement when it comes to that time. I think some team in free agency would offer 5x5 but depends what he wants.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I’m not wrong, he’s either a fourth liner or he’s an important member of Connor McJesus’ line (who apparently has a hard time finding chemistry with his RWs). 3x3 doesn’t scream to me important top line player which was being argues. Which is it?

Why can’t it be both? He’s a 4th liner, who when paired with McDavid is an important part of the 1st line.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
3x3 would be best no one is giving him more anyway. He's to unpredictable with his personal history. Seems to fit with Oilers would be good for both to do a deal close to that.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Anything over 3.5 is a bad contract, for Edmonton and Kassian.
If his aav is too high he'll be a buyout in short order. Nobody wants an expensive 4th liner and I'd think there's a severe problem if kassian is still playing with McDavid in a couple years.

Take the lower aav and the healthy raise and thank McDavid for the extra several million dollars.

3 years 3.5M or smarter for kassian longer term lower amount, 4 years 3M.

Reactions: north49er

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hoping that his AAV is under $4 million. Ideally $3.25 million or so but I'm expecting closer to 4 which could be a problem down the road.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
You make fun of that but the Hall contract ended up being one of the best contracts in the league.

Heard the same thing about Draisaitl and it's already a fantastic deal.

I mean, we Flames fans can joke about the 6x6’s all we want, but they all worked out. I just like to poke you Oilers fans sometimes :laugh:

As for Draisaitl, I feel the contract was premature. But, he’s proved everyone wrong, including Oilers fans.

Phaneufasaurus Rex

Jun 28, 2011
I think what’s being missed is the Edmonton factor.
He’s done well personally and professionally in Edmonton and that probably has value to him.
Please also remember he doesn’t play on the PP right now.

My guess is 3.66 X 3 with a limited NMC.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I'm thinking a Ferland type deal. I think he's more valuable than Ferland, even with the McDavid-aided points inflation, but since it's an extension and not a UFA, he'll get the $. Term will be the factor in judging the contract. 3/4 years good. 6 years like Tanev (no knock on him this year, he's been worth it) would be bad.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I wouldn’t sign him in season unless it’s 3x3 or less. How many teams are looking at Kassian’s season and thinking he would do the same on their team? Let him field offers in UFA and then go from there if he’s currently seeking the pay of a 50+ player.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I have a feeling any long term contract for Kassian will be a buyout candidate. If the Oilers are still deploying Kassian in the top 6 in 4 years, Holland will have done a bad job as GM IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad