Kasperi Kapanen: Penguins Not So Secret Weapon In 2015

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
I am still confident that Bennett can be a good NHL player. Mostly because when he is healthy, he already is a pretty solid NHL player.

Bennett needs a change of scenery. He is never going to succeed under Tocchet in this system because he doesn't play Tocchet's style of game. He completely changed his game last year to remove all creativity. He is still an NHL caliber player, but no more than a mediocre to poor 3rd liner under Tocchet.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Bennett needs a change of scenery. He is never going to succeed under Tocchet in this system because he doesn't play Tocchet's style of game. He completely changed his game last year to remove all creativity. He is still an NHL caliber player, but no more than a mediocre to poor 3rd liner under Tocchet.

So you're saying we need to get rid of Tocchet then.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

Wait... is Tocchet the head coach now?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Except that's not why Bennett struggled. He struggled because he had two knee injuries and just didn't play good at points. But I guess its just easier to blame the asst coach.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
injuries were a problem but Bennett has been asked to change his game from what got him drafted and what he is good at by every NHL coaching staff we've given him

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I am still confident that Bennett can be a good NHL player. Mostly because when he is healthy, he already is a pretty solid NHL player.

i agree with this. However the disturbing trend was the last 3rd of of this last season.
Beau looked like a guy playing to not get hurt. It completely nullified his game.
He simply was not the same player we saw in training camp.

I'm hoping that he gets the injury demons behind him and get his confidence back. Those two things happen he can really help us in the top 6 imo.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
i agree with this. However the disturbing trend was the last 3rd of of this last season.
Beau looked like a guy playing to not get hurt. It completely nullified his game.
He simply was not the same player we saw in training camp.

I'm hoping that he gets the injury demons behind him and get his confidence back. Those two things happen he can really help us in the top 6 imo.

Beau wasn't playing to not get hurt the last 1/3 of the season, he was playing hurt.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Pen's management expected him to star and the Finnish national team expected the same, but he flopped. That's all I am saying. Numerous other young players (his peers) played much better in the WJC's than KK.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Pen's management expected him to star and the Finnish national team expected the same, but he flopped. That's all I am saying. Numerous other young players (his peers) played much better in the WJC's than KK.

and there have been guys who perform great at the WJC and amount to diddly squat.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
so did a number of other pens, like you name them, what's your point.

that small sample sizes don't really mean much of anything

And numerous other centers played much better in the playoffs than Malkin this year. I for one don't think that means Derick Brassard is a better player than Malkin, just like players outplaying Kapanen in one tournament doesn't mean they are better than him. It doesn't mean they aren't either, I'm just saying one tournament is a very small sample size.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

We get it. You put a lot of stock in the WJCs.

If you're that concerned with it, he has a chance to redeem himself next year.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

Now I've read everything.

Wtf does Tocchet have to do with anything? Far as I know, all he coaches is the powerplay and Steve Downie.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I know its hard for some unrealistic pen fans to accept any thing negative about a pen player or prospect. But in the case of KK, at the beginning of this season, he was rated an 8.0 and was among the top 50 prospects on the HF ratings of prospects. Now, at the end of the season, he is rated as a 7.5 prospect and is not in the list of the top 50 prospects. Clearly his stock has fallen at least in the eyes of the HF ratings. Of course, this does not mean he will be a bust, but he definitely is not now considered one of the top 50 prospects by HFs.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
I know its hard for some unrealistic pen fans to accept any thing negative about a pen player or prospect. But in the case of KK, at the beginning of this season, he was rated an 8.0 and was among the top 50 prospects on the HF ratings of prospects. Now, at the end of the season, he is rated as a 7.5 prospect and is not in the list of the top 50 prospects. Clearly his stock has fallen at least in the eyes of the HF ratings. Of course, this does not mean he will be a bust, but he definitely is not now considered one of the top 50 prospects by HFs.

I don't want to misinterpret what you're saying, so I'll spell this out: Kapanen isn't a promising prospect because of his WJC performance and HF prospect ranking?

And everyone who disagrees with that assessment is unrealistic?

Just checking, thanks.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
I don't want to misinterpret what you're saying, so I'll spell this out: Kapanen isn't a promising prospect because of his WJC performance and HF prospect ranking?

And everyone who disagrees with that assessment is unrealistic?

Just checking, thanks.

I believe it wasn't my assessment but by HF. Those are the facts and for what ever reason his stock has fallen in the eyes of the HF.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
I believe it wasn't my assessment but by HF. Those are the facts and for what ever reason his stock has fallen in the eyes of the HF.

No, what you said is that unrealistic Pens fans have been ignoring his performance/rating.

It's no problem, you believe that his WJC performance and HF rating make him less than what some think. That's your opinion, which is fine. However, labeling people who still have hopes for the kid as "unrealistic" based upon other opinions isn't exactly constructive.

As in "I know better, since I'm a realistic Pens fan".

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Now I've read everything.

Wtf does Tocchet have to do with anything? Far as I know, all he coaches is the powerplay and Steve Downie.

Tocchet was supposed to be responsible for all the forwards and offense in the same way Agnew did the PK, defenders, and defense.

Tocchet shouldn't be a coach in PIT last year because he failed in all of the responsibilities he was given.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
No, what you said is that unrealistic Pens fans have been ignoring his performance/rating.

It's no problem, you believe that his WJC performance and HF rating make him less than what some think. That's your opinion, which is fine. However, labeling people who still have hopes for the kid as "unrealistic" based upon other opinions isn't exactly constructive.

As in "I know better, since I'm a realistic Pens fan".

NO, I have no opinion of KK. I have not seen him play enough to render an honest opinion. What I have been saying all along is that he was terrible in the WJCs and that HF's ranking of him as a prospect has declined from the beginning of the season to now. That's reality. I really don't care if you or any other pens fan think unrealistically that he is the second coming of Mike Bossy.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
NO, I have no opinion of KK. I have not seen him play enough to render an honest opinion. What I have been saying all along is that he was terrible in the WJCs and that HF's ranking of him as a prospect has declined from the beginning of the season to now. That's reality. I really don't care if you or any other pens fan think unrealistically that he is the second coming of Mike Bossy.

not a single person here is saying he is a good NHL player. We are saying he has a chance to be a good NHL player. WJCs and HF rankings really don't change that, especially since his HF ranking agrees with that notion. There's nothing unrealistic about it.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U

I don't believe that any Pens fan thinks he'll become a legendary sniper. Again, thank you for being so polite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad