Kasperi Kapanen: Penguins Not So Secret Weapon In 2015

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
In the prospect game he did some toe-drag move to the center of the ice without checking his blindspot. Ruopp was right there and could have killed him, but let up, probably because it was a prospect game. If that was Gudbranson in an NHL game, Kapanen was dead.

I would very much like him to take the half-way step of a season in the A to get used to the speed and roughness of small rink hockey instead of throwing him to the wolves just because I think he can beat an NHL goaltender if he finds himself with time and space.

Sure a guy like Skinner skipped that step and produced right away. He also gets concussions and shoulder injuries all the time because he never learned what he can get away with without getting killed.

right, this stuff is not a small matter. If he's not ready for the NHL, don't put him in the NHL even if we absolutely need someone with his skill.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
The injury he sustained in camp last year was a freak accident. I won't get into the wrist stuff because it was always weird but that doesn't seem like a conditioning injury either. I'm also not saying he wouldn't have gotten hurt in the A, either. The point is he was pretty clearly brought up too quickly and mostly put into roles where he doesn't quite fit. I think it's inarguable at this point that Bennett and the Penguins would have been better off playing him in the AHL until he had nothing to prove there. He showed some flashes of brilliance in 2012-13 with WBS but he wasn't a dominant player at that level. He should have been given the chance to become one before making the jump.

Can't say i disagree here but BB has to work out big time in order to be able to prevent some of those damn injuries. Also, i think KK already has a NHL lvl skill set, just put him with talent, don't dick him around on bottom lines because he has to learn D, that'll probably just **** him up. Play on his strenght, let him be offensive on top lines, it's not like he ain't gonna learn some D up there anyway...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Can't say i disagree here but BB has to work out big time in order to be able to prevent some of those damn injuries. Also, i think KK already has a NHL lvl skill set, just put him with talent, don't dick him around on bottom lines because he has to learn D, that'll probably just **** him up. Play on his strenght, let him be offensive on top lines, it's not like he ain't gonna learn some D up there anyway...

D isn't what worries me. What billybudd talked about is. Basically what you are talking about with Bennett is what we really need to avoid with Kapanen.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yeah, it's more things like timing, familiarity and bulk that I'm worried about more than whether Kapanen can play D (little preview, when he's ready to have a breakout season, if he ever does, his D game is still going to be mediocre at best). For a guy like him, AHL's the place to learn the first two. The sort of sixth sense as to how long you have to make a play before you get closed on and pickpocketed or what places are the danger areas. How much time you have to get a shot off before someone gets a stick in the lane or the goalie squares up.

On international ice, that stuff isn't necessarily the same.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

what do you think he does? not work out? he's a professional athlete and this team is willing to smear anyone and everyone and he has plenty of beat writers that love ******** on him. if his conditioning was unsatisfactory we'd have heard about it

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
what do you think he does? not work out? he's a professional athlete and this team is willing to smear anyone and everyone and he has plenty of beat writers that love ******** on him. if his conditioning was unsatisfactory we'd have heard about it

he visibly bulked up quite a bit before he made it to the NHL, didn't he?

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA

Bennett is around 6'2" and 200lbs. His injuries weren't a result of his size or playing style. Kid just had bad luck.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
he visibly bulked up quite a bit before he made it to the NHL, didn't he?

who doesn't? people are acting like teams would just be cool with their rookies who need to bulk up just not doing it

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
I'd be willing a Pastrnak type scenario happens with kk next year. Starts the year in the a,puts up good numbers. Close to midway in an injury or dryspell happens kk is brought up injects some life never sees the a again. Pastrnak is a tiny bit taller almost same weight and he's fine. I'd say Pastrnak can handle slightly better but kk is pretty darn close. Plus you always here how smart and well he sees the ice. He's going to be fine. I'd be Suprised if he makes out of camp,wouldn't be Suprised if he forces a call up midway through or alil earlier.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Ok ok guys i got it, cut it out with the :deadhorse already, i know when i'm beaten! :laugh:

However... If BB is healthy next season, is not dicked around because of team injuries or bad coaching & STILL manage to blow toad lickin' goats when he shouldn't... I shalt be back with a vengeance!

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Ok ok guys i got it, cut it out with the :deadhorse already, i know when i'm beaten! :laugh:

However... If BB is healthy next season, is not dicked around because of team injuries or bad coaching & STILL manage to blow toad lickin' goats when he shouldn't... I shalt be back with a vengeance!

he has never really played badly for any length of time when healthy though.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I'd be willing a Pastrnak type scenario happens with kk next year. Starts the year in the a,puts up good numbers. Close to midway in an injury or dryspell happens kk is brought up injects some life never sees the a again. Pastrnak is a tiny bit taller almost same weight and he's fine. I'd say Pastrnak can handle slightly better but kk is pretty darn close. Plus you always here how smart and well he sees the ice. He's going to be fine. I'd be Suprised if he makes out of camp,wouldn't be Suprised if he forces a call up midway through or alil earlier.

Young players are making their way into the NHL all over the place. In the cap era it's a necessity. The idea that every player needs two years in the AHL is dated.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Young players are making their way into the NHL all over the place. In the cap era it's a necessity. The idea that every player needs two years in the AHL is dated.

This is true, but a lot (most) still do. And most (almost all) need at least some AHL time, especially if they are coming from a league with international size ice.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011

Agreed,people sometimes act like nhl is nfl and "these kids are going to get killed playing against these men" mentality. No one hits in Finland? He's been playing grown men that I'm sure wanted /tried to take his head off for sometime now. Smaller ice adjustment yes maybe alil I feel that's overblown alil much too imo.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Agreed,people sometimes act like nhl is nfl and "these kids are going to get killed playing against these men" mentality. No one hits in Finland? He's been playing grown men that I'm sure wanted /tried to take his head off for sometime now. Smaller ice adjustment yes maybe alil I feel that's overblown alil much too imo.

there is really very little to lose by giving him some AHL time though. If he proves he's ready, give him a spot. But don't just give him a spot and hope he's ready.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
there is really very little to lose by giving him some AHL time though. If he proves he's ready, give him a spot. But don't just give him a spot and hope he's ready.

I'm not disputing that at all I think that's what best in this situation tbh. Maybe he takes the whole year one never knows how things will play out. I'm just saying in my opinion I think he will be ready sooner. I certainly hope they don't bank on it but I feel pretty strongly he will be up at some point and most likely for good when it does happen.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not disputing that at all I think that's what best in this situation tbh. Maybe he takes the whole year one never knows how things will play out. I'm just saying in my opinion I think he will be ready sooner. I certainly hope they don't bank on it but I feel pretty strongly he will be up at some point and most likely for good when it does happen.

I haven't seen him play since last year at camp, so I have no clue. I'm just saying in general how I feel about bringing in young forwards. We are desperate for a forward with his talent. I just hope we aren't so desperate that we give him a spot purely based on that. But he should absolutely have every chance to make the team. If he's ready, let him play.

displacedpensfan

Dec 23, 2008
KK needs to start the year at WBS and then based upon where he is and where the rest of the team are they can re-evaluate his readiness in January or February.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I don't think KK will be ready until the second half of next season at least. The AHL will do him a lot of good that I think he needs. I don't want to see him in the big leagues unless he's coming in with boat loads of swagger and enough strength to not get pushed around. I hope he's taking his supps and working out twice a day.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't think KK's ready to come in and be a producer on a scoring line, but having him develop in the NHL isn't going to crush his development. Especially if we don't take the Bylsma route of development with him.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think KK's ready to come in and be a producer on a scoring line, but having him develop in the NHL isn't going to crush his development. Especially if we don't take the Bylsma route of development with him.

depending on what he needs to work on. If he needs to work on his defense, let him do it in the NHL. If he needs to learn to keep his head up when he receives a pass, he should probably learn that in the AHL. If he needs to learn how to deal with the smaller ice and having guys close on him sooner, he should probably do that in the AHL too.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

There's no amount of training that can prevent a slewfoot from your knee going wonky.

The injury he sustained in camp last year was a freak accident. I won't get into the wrist stuff because it was always weird but that doesn't seem like a conditioning injury either. I'm also not saying he wouldn't have gotten hurt in the A, either. The point is he was pretty clearly brought up too quickly and mostly put into roles where he doesn't quite fit. I think it's inarguable at this point that Bennett and the Penguins would have been better off playing him in the AHL until he had nothing to prove there. He showed some flashes of brilliance in 2012-13 with WBS but he wasn't a dominant player at that level. He should have been given the chance to become one before making the jump.

I think the "he should've been in the AHL" argument's pretty weak. Bennett scored 5 points in 12 games in the 2014 playoffs. He was arguably the best player in camp. He played 2 games in WBS last year, and scored 5 points. Outside of a blue chip forward prospect, you're not going to get much better than that.

The guy sustained that freak injury in camp and then continued to play injured almost exclusively in the bottom 6 with crappy centers. That was his problem, IMO.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I am still confident that Bennett can be a good NHL player. Mostly because when he is healthy, he already is a pretty solid NHL player.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I agree we don't rush him but you don't slow play him either. Lets see how he does at camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad