Kasperi Kapanen: Penguins Not So Secret Weapon In 2015

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
The title made me think Kapanen was assaulting Shestyorkin.

Last edited:

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
It’s pretty easy, because in his final draft Ray Shero grabbed the one player that he was probably waiting his entire tenure to come along.

umm Shero did not draft KK... just sayin....

BobCole

May 21, 2014
This article argues that Kapanen is more likely than not to earn a roster spot on the Pens next season. Can anybody vouch for that? I thought the consensus was that he'd probably be another year at least.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
This article argues that Kapanen is more likely than not to earn a roster spot on the Pens next season. Can anybody vouch for that? I thought the consensus was that he'd probably be another year at least.

Matters who you ask. I personally think he will make the team or be brought up mid season. He put up 5 points in 7 playoff games with the baby pens. He's too talented for the AHL.

He doesn't win board battles and gets lost on defense but if we can have a season of Kunitz doing it I don't see what's wrong with letting a young guy take his bumps.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Matters who you ask. I personally think he will make the team or be brought up mid season. He put up 5 points in 7 playoff games with the baby pens. He's too talented for the AHL.

He doesn't win board battles and gets lost on defense but if we can have a season of Kunitz doing it I don't see what's wrong with letting a young guy take his bumps.

Interesting. It goes without saying that it would be a major boon if we could get a guy with his talent in the lineup next season. I was just under the impression that from a size standpoint alone he wasn't ready. That said, I guess if they think he can handle the physical duty of the AHL, there's no reason to believe he can't take the NHL.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC

Playing in the AHL isn't strictly about talent. Being able to play in the NHL is just as much about being prepared for it as having the skill to do it. Bringing up Kapanen before he's truly NHL ready simply because he already has NHL talent could be disastrous. Unless you want every decent forward prospect we see to follow Beau Bennett's career trajectory.

Sidney BrOSSby*

Locked in the Washer
Nov 28, 2007
Kampuchia
He's going to need to maintain a high level of effort for an 82 game schedule and then playoffs. Fitting him under the cap isn't going to be a juggling act, fortunately.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Playing in the AHL isn't strictly about talent. Being able to play in the NHL is just as much about being prepared for it as having the skill to do it. Bringing up Kapanen before he's truly NHL ready simply because he already has NHL talent could be disastrous. Unless you want every decent forward prospect we see to follow Beau Bennett's career trajectory.

I don't agree with this comparison except for the fact that both players are relatively fragile. Even so... BB should be in better shape as opposed to KK just being young & having to bulk up.

I'm actually getting fed up with people always blaming BB's slow development on the Pens, how about he takes some of the blame with what seems to be poor conditionning? Not a glass doll but man, i wish he could last a season just so we could finally assess his sorry ass once & for all!

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
KK making the big club next year will be up to him. He puts on some muscle and is willing to battle in camp/pre-season, he could make it out of camp.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't expect it to happen, but man would Kapanen earning a spot on this team help a lot. But I don't want to give him a spot just to give it to him. If he's not ready, keep him down. Even if he seems ready, we should have a backup plan ready. He's never played at this level, and he's never played this long of a season.

Sidney BrOSSby*

Locked in the Washer
Nov 28, 2007
Kampuchia
what did I say that makes you think you have any idea how I feel about Kapanen? :laugh:

Maybe the music has changed. Conditioning is an evolving science. Don't these guys tend to stall their first year?

You phrasing the question that way played to me that he might have problems around Easter.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I don't agree with this comparison except for the fact that both players are relatively fragile. Even so... BB should be in better shape as opposed to KK just being young & having to bulk up.

I'm actually getting fed up with people always blaming BB's slow development on the Pens, how about he takes some of the blame with what seems to be poor conditionning? Not a glass doll but man, i wish he could last a season just so we could finally assess his sorry ass once & for all!

The injury he sustained in camp last year was a freak accident. I won't get into the wrist stuff because it was always weird but that doesn't seem like a conditioning injury either. I'm also not saying he wouldn't have gotten hurt in the A, either. The point is he was pretty clearly brought up too quickly and mostly put into roles where he doesn't quite fit. I think it's inarguable at this point that Bennett and the Penguins would have been better off playing him in the AHL until he had nothing to prove there. He showed some flashes of brilliance in 2012-13 with WBS but he wasn't a dominant player at that level. He should have been given the chance to become one before making the jump.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Maybe the music has changed. Conditioning is an evolving science. Don't these guys tend to stall their first year?

You phrasing the question that way played to me that he might have problems around Easter.

Right, that's basically what I was getting at. But you didn't answer my question: where did you get the idea that I thought he was ready for a full NHL season? It doesn't really matter, I'm just curious. Because I have questioned whether he's ready for the NHL every single time I've spoken of Kapanen this off-season.

So, basically you feel he's got enough to forecheck on an NHL level a whole year? What if he's a mellow fellow or gets hot/cold?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The injury he sustained in camp last year was a freak accident. I won't get into the wrist stuff because it was always weird but that doesn't seem like a conditioning injury either. I'm also not saying he wouldn't have gotten hurt in the A, either. The point is he was pretty clearly brought up too quickly and mostly put into roles where he doesn't quite fit. I think it's inarguable at this point that Bennett and the Penguins would have been better off playing him in the AHL until he had nothing to prove there. He showed some flashes of brilliance in 2012-13 with WBS but he wasn't a dominant player at that level. He should have been given the chance to become one before making the jump.

Agreed. If he was coming up to fill a specific role it would be different, but he was just bounced around the NHL line-up even when he was healthy. That said, let's not derail a kapanen thread with BB arguing before we even finish page 1 :laugh:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

In the prospect game he did some toe-drag move to the center of the ice without checking his blindspot. Ruopp was right there and could have killed him, but let up, probably because it was a prospect game. If that was Gudbranson in an NHL game, Kapanen was dead.

I would very much like him to take the half-way step of a season in the A to get used to the speed and roughness of small rink hockey instead of throwing him to the wolves just because I think he can beat an NHL goaltender if he finds himself with time and space.

Sure a guy like Skinner skipped that step and produced right away. He also gets concussions and shoulder injuries all the time because he never learned what he can get away with without getting killed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad