News Article: Kasperi Kapanen Discussion

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
$3 million used to buy you a top six player, but not now. It's basically a 3rd liner's salary or a "show me" contract for a young player.

Our cap structure issues have little to do with these players and more so squarely a Mitch Marner problem. I just can't see how he can live up to an $11 million deal, no matter what he does.

Some folks talk like Mitch Marner is the only player in the NHL who could pass the puck...I mean, how did any other team ever won the Stanley Cup without Mitch Marner? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
In the game we watched last night, Kucherov gets 9.5 mil per, Stamkos makes 8.5 mil. and Point makes 6.75 mil., if they were Leafs with Dubie negotiating they'd be 11 mil. each. Compare our top 3 forwards against theirs as far as compensation, TO pays it's top 3 forwards about 8 mil. more, that 8 mil. used in other places in the lineup might make TO even more competitive or even a true Stanley Cup favourite. TB even has 2.5 mil. left under the Cap ceiling, they even trade decent players proactively to afford their ever increasing payroll and receive 1st round draft choices as compensation, Dubie simply lets TO's players walk.

Consistent 25-30 goal scorers receive better deals. They both should have been signed to prove it contracts in the range of what Brown was earning.

No state income taxes in Florida vs High income taxes in Ontario. That's the difference. The comparison isn't AAV. It's Net income.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
$3 million used to buy you a top six player, but not now. It's basically a 3rd liner's salary or a "show me" contract for a young player.

Our cap structure issues have little to do with these players and more so squarely a Mitch Marner problem. I just can't see how he can live up to an $11 million deal, no matter what he does.

Go to CapFriendly and check most team's salary structure, it's very unusual to find players with salaries at 3 mil. or thereabouts beyond the top 6 forwards.

Mitch is overpaid, yes, but constant overpaying throughout the lineup is even more crippling.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
His overpay is exactly the cap flexibility we could use right now. You know it’s an overpay because no one will @ME

I would say a lot of the Nylander vs Marner debates over the years have to do with who is the fans prefer to keep in the event one has to be traded to round out the team.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Go to CapFriendly and check most team's salary structure, it's very unusual to find players with salaries at 3 mil. or thereabouts beyond the top 6 forwards.

Mitch is overpaid, yes, but constant overpaying throughout the lineup is even more crippling.

Completely disagree. A $3.5 million salary is basically a run of the mill top 9 forward in the game or a young player with upside to do more, which is exactly what Johnsson and Kapanen are.

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Marner contract is extremely problematic. But I try to justify it like this: if Marner approaches 80 points and Nylander closes the gap on him, we are paying them both an average of $8.9 million, so maybe we can get through this one.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Kapanen has become the scapegoat.

If Tavares and Marner are struggling to get it going, then split them up to get their play up again, and then re-unite them later. Doesn't make sense to blame the 3M player, when the two 11M players have been the most disappointing on that line.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Kapanen will skate faster than he thinks no matter what line he's on. Marner & Tavares had high on-ice percentages last season, this year they'll probably have low ones. The way she goes. At least Kapanen is deployed as a LW mucker now, he's a low IQ player and requires a compartmentalized role. Watching him ruin the Matthews line by skating fast in directions with no idea what to do was frustrating. IMO, he's the odd one out next season between him, Johnsson and Kerfoot.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
No state income taxes in Florida vs High income taxes in Ontario. That's the difference. The comparison isn't AAV. It's Net income.
So in theory Dubas helped Canada have free medical because it's not the 15 dollar an hours jobs helping pay for it. Thanks Dubas for helping Canadain's everywhere.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019

If Tavares and Marner are struggling to get it going, then split them up to get their play up again, and then re-unite them later. Doesn't make sense to blame the 3M player, when the two 11M players have been the most disappointing on that line.

Half his shifts he’s trying to play RW. It’s not a fit at all.

The other 2 have been meh, Marner probably bad, Tavares not as much. When you factor in their pay, ya they need to be doing more, even if Kapanen is skating in front of Marner while he’s trying to dangle.

Reactions: Havoc

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

Hilarious how Babcock works. If Matthews-Nylander were playing like that Matthews would already be strapped with Johnsson & Kapanen and Willy would be down finding his game on the 3rd line. The amount of leash he gives to some and not others has always frustrated me. He's far from a "fair" coach

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You completely missed the point.

Higher taxes in Canada mean higher gross salaries for players.

That also means that the salary cap puts Canadian teams at a disadvantage.

Most players have great accountants working with their estate. They don't pay as much in tax as you may think and I have heard that from plenty of sources. It's Canada man and the truth of the matter that most Canadians don't want to face is that we have been mismanaged for decades and it's only getting worse. I know this simply because of the increasing national debt and the fact that we don't utilize our natural resources efficiently. We even let other nations companies manage and deal in our resources so there you go. Don't get me started on the corruption regarding developers / construction etc. It's laughable.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I'd like to see Kapanen and Johnsson swapped. At least till Hyman returns. Johnsson provides a little more offensive talent that could help spark the JT line and could have better chemistry than they have with Kapanen. I think Kapanen's speed would be better suited with Nylander. Once Hyman returns, Kapanen drops to the third with Mikheyev and Kerfoot.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Half his shifts he’s trying to play RW. It’s not a fit at all.

The other 2 have been meh, Marner probably bad, Tavares not as much. When you factor in their pay, ya they need to be doing more, even if Kapanen is skating in front of Marner while he’s trying to dangle.

I disagree. I haven't noticed Kapanen out of position like you say. Hes been out of position in terms of covering his man (which is just poor play) a few times, but I have not seen him 'trying' to play RW half the time.

I don't want anything drastic to happen. But all 3 players on that line benefited from a high on-ice sh% last year. They're due for a slow start, regardless of who their 3rd line-mate was. Don't expect it to continue, expect them to start getting hot sooner or later.

If people are impatient, I'd suggest these lines for a few games:

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander (This line is permanent)
Kapanen - Tavares - Moore
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Marner

Once everyone's back:

Johnsson - Matthes - Nylander
Kapanen - Tavares - Marner
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Hyman
Moore - xxx - xxx

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Most players have great accountants working with their estate. They don't pay as much in tax as you may think and I have heard that from plenty of sources. It's Canada man and the truth of the matter that most Canadians don't want to face is that we have been mismanaged for decades and it's only getting worse. I know this simply because of the increasing national debt and the fact that we don't utilize our natural resources efficiently. We even let other nations companies manage and deal in our resources so there you go. Don't get me started on the corruption regarding developers / construction etc. It's laughable.

There are tax shelters available and for players with huge salaries of course they will find ways to avoid taxes but that doesn't change the fact that income tax rates are higher in Canada.

I agree to some extent on your other points. Corruption is a major problem in this country and probably 50% of gov't legislation is designed to further that corruption.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
I disagree. I haven't noticed Kapanen out of position like you say. Hes been out of position in terms of covering his man (which is just poor play) a few times, but I have not seen him 'trying' to play RW half the time.

I don't want anything drastic to happen. But all 3 players on that line benefited from a high on-ice sh% last year. They're due for a slow start, regardless of who their 3rd line-mate was. Don't expect it to continue, expect them to start getting hot sooner or later.

Once everyone's back:

Moore - xxx - xxx

To think you’re watching the games and want to keep Kapanen on LW even after Hyman is back... you must be Finnish?

Sorry but there’s about a zero chance Hyman isn’t on the Tavares line once he’s back.

And Kapanen flies into the zone on the RW with the puck more than on the LW. He can’t do anything on the left side.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019

Once everyone's back:

Moore - xxx - xxx

Kapanen played the entire first shift on RW

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Kapanen will skate faster than he thinks no matter what line he's on. Marner & Tavares had high on-ice percentages last season, this year they'll probably have low ones. The way she goes. At least Kapanen is deployed as a LW mucker now, he's a low IQ player and requires a compartmentalized role. Watching him ruin the Matthews line by skating fast in directions with no idea what to do was frustrating. IMO, he's the odd one out next season between him, Johnsson and Kerfoot.

This pretty much sums up everything I feel about KK. It's apparent that he's the worst passer on the entire team and most likely, yes, the lowest IQ. Don't want to pile on the guy but his skill-set and salary are very replaceable from within.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
There are tax shelters available and for players with huge salaries of course they will find ways to avoid taxes but that doesn't change the fact that income tax rates are higher in Canada.

I agree to some extent on your other points. Corruption is a major problem in this country and probably 50% of gov't legislation is designed to further that corruption.

These players are paid in US dollars and living in Canada...Marner makes about CAD $14.5 million per year...and an extra CAD $2.7 million in endorsements because he plays for the Toronto Maple Leafs...poor him.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
These players are paid in US dollars and living in Canada...Marner makes about CAD $14.5 million per year...and an extra CAD $2.7 million in endorsements because he plays for the Toronto Maple Leafs...poor him.

I wasn’t commenting on the players. It was in reference to ontario vs Florida tax rates and why Point got less AAV than Marner but will probably have the same or higher net income.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
For as much as I think he's a bad fit on that line, I also think he's been the best player on it the last few games. I don't think it's fair to blame Marner and Tavares struggling on him, but I do think it's fair to say that Hyman makes things easier for his linemate than Kapanen does. He tends to work in a vacuum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad