Sitting at a desk.
I think Kap has fallen down our winger depth chart:

Marner
Nylander
Hyman
Johnsson
Mik
Moore

With Tima, Korshkov, Engvall and possibly Bracco all knocking.

Writing is on the wall IMO. I bet he’s moved to open cap space for Mik and Hymans next deals.

Maybe we use his cap space this year to get a backup goalie and a 6th D so Sandin can stick in the AHL.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Kapanen has looked fine or good for a while now. Even before he switched lines, he looked more than fine individually.

Yes leaders feel they are leaders. Like that’s a bad thing.
I get what you're saying, but I think good leaders focus on doing just that rather than whether they get symbolic recognition for it. Being captain should be a burden you take on if you're deemed the best choice, not something you desire for your own sake.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Kapanen has looked fine or good for a while now. Even before he switched lines, he looked more than fine individually.

I get what you're saying, but I think good leaders focus on doing just that rather than whether they get symbolic recognition for it. Being captain should be a burden you take on if you're deemed the best choice, not something you desire for your own sake.
Sure, I’m just not criticizing someone for having the internal drive to think they’re a leader. I would hope Reilly, Matthews, Marner all thought they had C traits.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I think Kap has fallen down our winger depth chart:

Marner
Nylander
Hyman
Johnsson
Mik
Moore

With Tima, Korshkov, Engvall and possibly Bracco all knocking.

Writing is on the wall IMO. I bet he’s moved to open cap space for Mik and Hymans next deals.

Maybe we use his cap space this year to get a backup goalie and a 6th D so Sandin can stick in the AHL.

Its certainly a good problem to have, but I think Nylander would be a the more logical piece to move as he's not that much more useful than Kap and moving him frees double the cap hit (and Kap is still a RFA at the end of his contract).

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Its certainly a good problem to have, but I think Nylander would be a the more logical piece to move as he's not that much more useful than Kap and moving him frees double the cap hit (and Kap is still a RFA at the end of his contract).

Not exact true though is it..nylander has the higher offensive skillset and has chemistry within the Leafs top two lines.

Kapenens hockey iq is lower and he clearly hasn't been able to sustain chemistey playing alongside Matthew's or Tavares/Marner.

It is a good problem though- no argument there

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Not exact true though is it..nylander has the higher offensive skillset and has chemistry within the Leafs top two lines.

Kapenens hockey iq is lower and he clearly hasn't been able to sustain chemistey playing alongside Matthew's or Tavares/Marner.

It is a good problem though- no argument there

They both have managed the same amount of points so far this year. Chemistry or not Nylander isn't really producing, and chemistry or not, looking flashy doesn't matter if you aren't producing more than those supposedly below you in the depth chart. Kappy is also more versatile defensively, and Nylander has greater trade value. The important thing is that they both have value, though, i will agree.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
MY thoughts on Kapanen?

Lowest hockey IQ in the Top 9 on this team, see his odd man breakaway decisions, he is not fouling anyone. I can not recall him ever surprising me with a decision he made nor have I seen the opposition fouled much at all by him. Top 1% speed in the NHL but can not carry the puck at full speed. The amount of times he bobbles pucks at speed is crazy. He is having a very average season so far. Its a toss up who id move between Kapanen and Johnnson for different reason. Johnnson has better IQ, puck hunger, accurate shot, but imo is a few hits away from taking the tenacity out of him aka not convinced he will have a long NHL career.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
MY thoughts on Kapanen?

Lowest hockey IQ in the Top 9 on this team, see his odd man breakaway decisions, he is not fouling anyone. I can not recall him ever surprising me with a decision he made nor have I seen the opposition fouled much at all by him. Top 1% speed in the NHL but can not carry the puck at full speed. The amount of times he bobbles pucks at speed is crazy. He is having a very average season so far. Its a toss up who id move between Kapanen and Johnnson for different reason. Johnnson has better IQ, puck hunger, accurate shot, but imo is a few hits away from taking the tenacity out of him aka not convinced he will have a long NHL career.

Hiding a Grabner-type in your bottom-6 is useful, you can't have your D fully commit to pinching without risking a Kapanen breakaway.

blue stick

Jan 28, 2019
Where does Kapanen fit in these days? He's roughly on same points pace as last season.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Kap should be over AJ. AJ is a dime in a dozen Mid 6 fwds in the NHL while Kap got breakout speed that cause the other teams to think twice before pinching. A couple of more goals like today(how he broke out of the zone and set up Pierre), teams might just not pinch in when Kap is on the ice.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Two games in a row where Kapanen sets up Engvall for a goal.

Both were intelligent plays, showing perhaps he's starting to slow down the game in his mind?

Hope so. He’s been a streaky player though to date. Developing consistency will make him a legit top 6 winger

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Kapanen gets beat down by a lot of posters. Can someone explain how a player with little “hockey IQ” makes a play like that tonight?

What about this play do you think is demonstrative of "hockey IQ"?

It looks to be entirely a skills play, rather than a smarts play to me.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Kapanens dangle before the pass on the assist was brilliant. And to think he’s somewhere between 3 and 6 on our winger depth chart.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Kapanen gets beat down by a lot of posters. Can someone explain how a player with little “hockey IQ” makes a play like that tonight?

Players like Matthews/Marner make plays on a nightly basis that demonstrate their high hockey IQ.
Kapanen makes plays on a nightly basis that demonstrates his low hockey IQ.
He has a good shot and speed which still makes him an effective player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad