News Article: Kasperi Kapanen Discussion

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Early days but Kapanen needs to turn it around.

If the 3rd line continues to be strong, no need to break it up...and he's not worth that $ on the 4th line.

He'd be considered "excess" at that point, even if you need to include something to get a power forward or some defensive help.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yet he's still better then most the prospects to come out of our system for the past decade. I'm okay with it if that's all he is. Keep in mind his dad got better with age.
If that is all he is and the salary cap wasn't an issue, I would agree. Wait it out.

That isn't the case though, unfortunately. The Leafs are in win now mode. When Hyman gets back, Kapanen will go back to his natural RW side. Do the Leafs break up what has arguably been the most consistent line (3rd line) this season? I'm not sure I would break up the chemistry that line has shown.

If he's not playing in the top-9, a $3.2 million 4th liner is not a luxury that the Leafs can afford running a 20/21 man roster when there are issues elsewhere that need to be addressed (bottom pairing D, backup G).

I'd love nothing better than for Kapanen to make me eat my words. But I believe someone will need to be moved so the Leafs can move away from living on a razors edge with regards to depth, and the ability to withstand a couple of injuries. They need NHL quality depth on their roster, not AHL fillers from the Marlies if they really want to make a run at it this season.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
They've always tried to suppress numbers in an attempt to keep the cap hit down.
Poor usage of players has been discussed here since the cap became a thing. Not a huge issue since they've been winning but it certainly exists.
You even list a bunch of reasons why they would optimize the lines yet they don't and haven't.
I understand the skepticism but it's a reality of todays league.

This sound like the same nonsense that was spouted when the big 3 were on their ELC's.

Everyone saying that was wrong then and they're wrong now :laugh:

Might be time to admit you just don't have a clue how negotiations go down.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
I see Kapanen is this year's whipping boy. Wondered who it would be now that Kadri and Gardner are gone.

Reactions: Griffin76

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Kappy was a streaky player last year, expected as a young player .. Difference was that he started hot last season so that he could ride that out during his cold streaks.

He should be fine but in a few games if he's not being more impactful on the ice, they should switch it up.

Mikheyev-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Moore-Kerfoot-Kapanen

That's what I'd roll with. Kap could blend well with the skill sets of Kerfoot and Moore, plus his speed matches that line as well.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Kappy was a streaky player last year, expected as a young player .. Difference was that he started hot last season so that he could ride that out during his cold streaks.

He should be fine but in a few games if he's not being more impactful on the ice, they should switch it up.

Mikheyev-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Moore-Kerfoot-Kapanen

That's what I'd roll with. Kap could blend well with the skill sets of Kerfoot and Moore, plus his speed matches that line as well.

I've been slowly coming to the conclusion that Kapanen might just be a 3rd line player and nothing more. It sucks cause I've been a fan of Kappy since the start.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I've been slowly coming to the conclusion that Kapanen might just be a 3rd line player and nothing more. It sucks cause I've been a fan of Kappy since the start.

I think it's too early to tell at the NHL level .. Really only 1.5 seasons in, with 1 season of top 9 experience. Proved to be effective enough in a complimentary role in the top 6. He's not a driver of offense in the top 6 though. I do think he's showing that he's not a LWer at the NHL level right now.

I would say he ranges from a high end 3rd liner to a middle-tier 2nd liner, capable of 20-25 goals/40-50 points through his offensive prime if he's given the top 6 opportunity. Otherwise, on the third line, he's probably more of a 15 goal/30-35 point winger.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kappy is a valuable player to the team, but that sky high sh% thatbhe rode last season really distorted some flks views of his abilities.

He and Kerfoot seem a match made in heaven - I look forward to seeing them together eventually

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Kappy is a vulnerable player to the team, but that sky high sh% thatbhe rode last season really distorted some flks views of his abilities.

He and Kerfoot seem a match made in heaven - I look forward to seeing them together eventually

Huh? His shooting percentage was 11.5% last year unless you mean something different? Doesn't seem too out of line to me.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Huh? His shooting percentage was 11.5% last year unless you mean something different? Doesn't seem too out of line to me.
It's not, but his shooting % was close to 30 in the first couple of months, which meant a lot of early luck inflated it.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Keep Kapanen on the 2nd line. That line is too talented to not get it going.

3rd line is clicking right now so there is a good argument to keep Mikheyev on tue 3rd line.

But most importantly, need to keep Mikheyev on the bottom 6 for most the season so his stats dont get inflated. (We nee to sign him on a good deal this offseason)

just my opinion

PS: Nick Robertson looks like a surefire future top 6 forward

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Keep Kapanen on the 2nd line. That line is too talented to not get it going.

3rd line is clicking right now so there is a good argument to keep Mikheyev on tue 3rd line.

But most importantly, need to keep Mikheyev on the bottom 6 for most the season so his stats dont get inflated. (We nee to sign him on a good deal this offseason)

just my opinion

PS: Nick Robertson looks like a surefire future top 6 forward
I would try to pry Nick Ritchie out of Anaheim for a couple of reasons. And give one of Kapanen/Johnsson to do it, along with other pieces.

It would be nice to run this.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Ritchie - Matthews - Nylander
Mikheyev - Kerfoot - Moore
Korshkov - Goat - Spezza

No Johnsson or Kapanen in there, and it looks deadly. 6' 3" or more on the 4th line

Reactions: Swedish Gretzky

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
I would try to pry Nick Ritchie out of Anaheim for a couple of reasons. And give one of Kapanen/Johnsson to do it, along with other pieces.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Korshkov - Goat - Spezza

No Johnsson or Kapanen in there, and it looks deadly. 6' 3" or more on the 4th line

I would trade either Johnsson or Kapanen for Ritchie in a heartbeat

Reactions: 54thecup and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I would trade either Johnsson or Kapanen for Ritchie in a heartbeat
It's probably a pipe dream, but do the trade and tell Babcock he has to put Ritchie in the Hyman role with Matthews. Ritchie actually does have decent hands. Or put him with Tavares/Marner and bump Hyman back with Matthews/Nylander.

No matter what, it's a nice mix in the top 6 without touching the 3rd line.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Korshkov - Goat - Spezza

Would Dubas do it though? You know, the guy who only wants skill and no grit.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Would Dubas do it though? You know, the guy who only wants skill and no grit.
Oh, I think he would. His Soo and Marlies teams always had enforcers. Ritchie is someone who could play a complementary role the top 6, while handling the more limited role of the enforcer nowadays. Ritchie was on pace for Kap/Johnsson production last year. Who are both currently in ill suited roles in the top 6.

Reactions: Superstar

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Oh, I think he would. His Soo and Marlies teams always had enforcers. Ritchie is someone who could play a complementary role the top 6, while handling the more limited role of the enforcer nowadays. Ritchie was on pace for Kap/Johnsson production last year. Who are both currently in ill suited roles in the top 6.

You know Don Cherry would be happy...lol...put Ritchie and Nylander besides Matthews.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Kappy needs to be better
But to be honest i always questioned his hockey iq he tends to not use his linemates when he is in a funk and not scoring etc also he had documented confidence issues
All between the ears for him

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Kappy needs to be better
But to be honest i always questioned his hockey iq he tends to not use his linemates when he is in a funk and not scoring etc also he had documented confidence issues
All between the ears for him
100%. He just can't process the game speed against decent competition.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I still believe that he is a very useful player and he is going to bounce back but I am thoroughly disappointed so far this season

They should move him to 3rd line and Mikheyev to either Matthews' or Tavares line (he should at least be given a chance)

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Kapanen is a chicken with his head cut off. He just skates really fast in a straight line and has no real hockey sense. He needs to move off that Tavares line. Maybe Moore or Mihkeyev can take his spot until the real MVP comes back

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad