News Article: Kasperi Kapanen Discussion

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
For as much as I think he's a bad fit on that line, I also think he's been the best player on it the last few games. I don't think it's fair to blame Marner and Tavares struggling on him, but I do think it's fair to say that Hyman makes things easier for his linemate than Kapanen does. He tends to work in a vacuum.

The big question here is, is it Marner that is dragging the line down or is it JT. Do they have a rift? Did Marner want the C? There is so much smoke around that line going by all the comments regarding the Marner negotiations etc.

I don't think Kappy is helping them, mostly because he is not going into places to get greasy goals. I think they need a determined player on the line, either Moore or Miky for a little to try and kickstart it. The only thing we can see is that they are not having an easy go of it and they need to be better.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
The big question here is, is it Marner that is dragging the line down or is it JT. Do they have a rift? Did Marner want the C? There is so much smoke around that line going by all the comments regarding the Marner negotiations etc.

I don't think Kappy is helping them, mostly because he is not going into places to get greasy goals. I think they need a determined player on the line, either Moore or Miky for a little to try and kickstart it. The only thing we can see is that they are not having an easy go of it and they need to be better.

If this is the case, he’s going to have issues following him throughout his career. That’s just delusional.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If this is the case, he’s going to have issues following him throughout his career. That’s just delusional.

I believe Paul said he should be up for consideration of the C. I took it as being part of a family conversation and maybe a bird's eye view into what Marner thinks. If I had to go based on money demands, I would say he was absolutely delusional with regards to arriving at his #$

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Is there really a "big question" at all here? Marner has 6 points in 6 games as a habitually slow starter.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Is there really a "big question" at all here? Marner has 6 points in 6 games as a habitually slow starter.

It's not the points. Look at the play and you can't be happy with that. We are in this to win not get second assists and lose games. The team as a whole looks awful and his line probably the worst.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
It's not the points. Look at the play and you can't be happy with that. We are in this to win not get second assists and lose games. The team as a whole looks awful and his line probably the worst.

Better rebuild again :rolleyes:

I've never in my life met someone as constantly whiney as you.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The comment is delusional, not Marner. JT has said how good of friends him and Mitch have become, the rift stuff is nonsense.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Better rebuild again :rolleyes:

I've never in my life met someone as constantly whiney as you.

This discussion will soon turn to Marner trade proposals and how we are going to build the D of this "contender" going forward. Your boy Dubas has assembled a soft team that overpays for talent and that's the framework we are dealing with. Nobody else in the league overpaid like Dubas.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Yea, Tavares, Marner and Kapanen haven't been productive this season. But Leafs are still doing OK. Look at the positive, the bottom six guys are getting confidence by being productive.
If Leafs fans are going to endlessly worry about Tavares and Marner production/rift, it's going to be a long six years at a 22m cap hit.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The comment is delusional, not Marner. JT has said how good of friends him and Mitch have become, the rift stuff is nonsense.

They don't look buddy buddy tbh. Marner looks like he is on an island since before his cringe appeal to red bull, I mean his fans.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
This discussion will soon turn to Marner trade proposals and how we are going to build the D of this "contender" going forward. Your boy Dubas has assembled a soft team that overpays for talent and that's the framework we are dealing with. Nobody else in the league overpaid like Dubas.

Yea I agree the Leafs overpaid for their own RFAs. Maybe 4m or so collectively. But c'mon the Leafs aren't unique in overpaying players. Canucks are overpaying Ericsson 4m in one players along. Canadians have UFA 3.2m cap hit in Laval. Rangers have a lot of buyout money plus Smith/Staal eating up cap. Kings are a non playoff team with aging players taking a big % of the cap.
Teams trade players and positions of strength for other needs all the time....that's the nature of trades. So if the Leafs have to trade a forward, probably a winger for a Dman, what's the issue?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You create these things.

I do indeed create things. But nothing as great as videos for the great tasting energy drink Red Bull. It keeps me going, ps. I love the City and the Leafs!

Marner won't be here long, and tbh, after all we went through to overpay him, he and his handler, Dubas can leave at the same time. This Butter soft team does not look pretty. Couple more face smashes like happened to Sandin and next they will be targeting Marner. It's open season, have at will.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I do indeed create things. But nothing as great as videos for the great tasting energy drink Red Bull. It keeps me going, ps. I love the City and the Leafs!

Marner won't be here long, and tbh, after all we went through to overpay him, he and his handler, Dubas can leave at the same time. This Butter soft team does not look pretty. Couple more face smashes like happened to Sandin and next they will be targeting Marner. It's open season, have at will.
Tavares has taken some big hits this season. Anathasaiou landing on Freddy’s leg. I don’t want Frazer and Orr on the 4th line but we don’t have a soul that comes close to defending this team. I like the job that Dubas has done for the most part—it’s just missing something.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Tavares has taken some big hits this season. Anathasaiou landing on Freddy’s leg. I don’t want Frazer and Orr on the 4th line but we don’t have a soul that comes close to defending this team. I like the job that Dubas has done for the most part—it’s just missing something.

At the rate it's escalating with regards to taking liberties on our players, may be missing a star or two as well. Hope not, but...

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

No, YOU will start screaming about that, because constant hysteria is your thing.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
playing kappy of his off wing doesnt take full advantage of his elite speed, also playing on 1st line, hes playing against a lot of skilled nhl talent every night...kapanen is a good defensive forward but hyman and mikheyev are both better...he should look a lot better on the 3rd line when hyman back and mikheyev will give babs to choice but to move him up too

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Kapanen has killed the Tavares line and looks like crap. Harsh, darn right i am trying to be. So then we say switch him out with Mikheyev but then he would kill another line.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Kapanen has killed the Tavares line and looks like crap. Harsh, darn right i am trying to be. So then we say switch him out with Mikheyev but then he would kill another line.

Bull****

If two 11M dollar players can't carry a guy like Kapanen (who's without doubt an NHL player) that's not a Kapanen problem that's a Tavares and Marner problem

If you want to be paid like a superstar you better be able to carry cheap players on your line or we've got a serious problem

Reactions: Griffin76

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The problem is Kapanen. Plays on the right side of now the ice. As a LW

I have said from the start. He and mango are not here long term. One or both get moved for next year.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Bull****

If two 11M dollar players can't carry a guy like Kapanen (who's without doubt an NHL player) that's not a Kapanen problem that's a Tavares and Marner problem

If you want to be paid like a superstar you better be able to carry cheap players on your line or we've got a serious problem

Oh they have to carry him. Yeah i gotcha. They have to carry no man.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Kapanen can’t play his off wing. If he goes back to the right side on the third or fourth line he’d be fine.

i think so;). This first line experiment hasn’t looked good for a shift.

i think you are right or that should be tried atleast to get him going

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Oh they have to carry him. Yeah i gotcha. They have to carry no man.

I was not picking spots trying to protect Marner and Tavares either. They aren’t going one bit. Kapanen doesn’t fit with them and looks like crap. So they all look like crap. There’s no jam on the entire line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->