News Article: Kasperi Kapanen Discussion

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kapanen gets beat down by a lot of posters. Can someone explain how a player with little “hockey IQ” makes a play like that tonight?

Doing that one off is skills. Having the awareness to consistently know where guys are or make the right read. I don't think Kapanen is Hockey dumb, but he can't process the game the speed he plays it at sometimes and it can lead to issues. Sometimes, the game eventually slows down such as Nathan MacKinnon, and Larkin has had issues with it. But, Kapanen seems at his best when he's atleast second fiddle or the primary offensive threat on a line, due to his style of play, which doesn't blend well with either of the top 4 forwards on our team. He makes too many one and out plays, which doesn't mesh with the cycle game the others prefer because he has issues slowing the game down. He's great in his current role, and is good as that option.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Is it possible he's showing growth based on a different carrot and stick process?

The strangest thing with Kapanen, is when he plays on the 3rd line he looks easily like he should be in the top two lines, but when hes finally moved up the lineup he always has trouble finding chemistry and fitting in.

Maybe hes s simply at his best in that lower line sort of role? And thats not an insult -im a big fan of his, i just want the Leafs to get the most out of him

Last edited:

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Kapanen gets beat down by a lot of posters. Can someone explain how a player with little “hockey IQ” makes a play like that tonight?

Well you have to have hockey IQ to be able to identify hockey IQ. Unfortunately
there's no requirement that fans must have hockey IQ to be fans so we get post like that.

Kapanen is an important figure for this team just like how Hyman is.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Kapanen is an effective third liner and ONLY a third liner. Similar to Kerfoot being a much better complementary top six LW, than a #3C.

When Johnsson comes back: Johnsson-Engvall-Kapanen

This will give us a tenacious forchecker on each line: Hyman, Kerfoot, Kap, Moore

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
His individual skill is underrated. I like him as a player. He gives you the speed and in turn the fore checking element. Solid top 9 player.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Seems like he was smart enough to know that Dobson would have to open up to stick check him.. being that Dobson is a right hand shot. He looked like he had planned that play, rather than reacted on instict. Either way, impressive.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Kapanen is an effective third liner and ONLY a third liner. Similar to Kerfoot being a much better complementary top six LW, than a #3C.

This will give us a tenacious forchecker on each line: Hyman, Kerfoot, Kap, Moore
I don't know about that.

He still has time to develop and also Leafs top 2 centers are goal scorers first. Maybe you put him with a play making center and he can be a top 6 winger.

It's probably why he did well with Kadri and now with Spezza.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Having a Grabner with upside isn't a bad thing. I don't know of many players that I'd rather have going against 3rd pairings.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The strangest thing with Kapanen, is when he plays on the 3rd line he looks easily like he should be in the top two lines, but when hes finally moved up the lineup he always has trouble finding chemistry and fitting in.

Maybe hes s simply at his best in that lower line sort of role? And thats not an insult -im a big fan of his, i just want the Leafs to get the most out of him
Some guys can't figure out that 3rd wheel role. Tons of guys are more skilled than Zach Hyman. But, he works his ass off, and makes simple plays. Get the puck to Mitch or Auston (or JT), drive center ice, and get in position on a screen, see a lose puck battle for it. Not all guys have that, most guys grew up as the most skilled player on their team. I mean, at what age do you think someone like Kapanen wasn't the most skilled guy on his own team? 17 or 18? Probably always in the top 4 or 5 after that. That's why so many guys have trouble adapting to being that simplistic 3rd wheel. Some guys are better where they have more freedom to create, and you aren't getting that freedom to be the primary guy on either of our top 2 lines as the 3rd wheel. I'm sure Kapanen could be an effective 2nd wheel on either top 2 line (although both of our top 2 centers prefer a cycle based game).

I find it funny, that arguably the biggest complaint about Babcock from about 2016/17 to the end of 2018/19 season was how much he relied on Hyman in the top 6. I'll admit in Year 1 I was frustrated because of his ridiculous low shooting percentage, but for the last 2 and half seasons and its been great. I sort of wish we had another guy similar in the top 6 to have one with both of our star winger/center pairings. Leafs have been better under Keefe for a variety of reasons (newfound passion, new voice, more freedom, new lines, etc). But, moving Hyman down the line-up isn't one of them.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Making an outside/inside move is completely natural.
Dobson defending like an amateur is what made it look so good.

You ignore the fact that he is a right shot on the left wing at the time i believe. I would absolutely be happy if he took off to the left side with speed more and attacked the left side more.

Nahh thatvwas just a beautiful play

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Seems like he was smart enough to know that Dobson would have to open up to stick check him.. being that Dobson is a right hand shot. He looked like he had planned that play, rather than reacted on instict. Either way, impressive.

He needs to think about skating into support as opposed to skating out of coverage. Head up, slow down, change speeds will all work for him because when he skates opponents follow fast as they can lots.

I have been seeing his game change.Keefe got him again and success is building again for him. Just watch how much more his head is up. He is getting a bit better lately

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Two games in a row where Kapanen sets up Engvall for a goal.

Both were intelligent plays, showing perhaps he's starting to slow down the game in his mind?

The Fin and the Swede, a new chapter. That's a nice 3rd line combo to go with our other combos in Matthews-Marner and Tavares-Nylander.

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
I value KK much more than AJ. They both bring some jam, but KK's got more size so his feistiness is more effective than Jonhsson's. As someone else just mentioned, Kapanen doesn't belong in the top 6, but he can slot up there without being too lost. But on the 3rd line, he looks like a top 6 playing lower down. At this point, Johnsson is expensive depth and I'd rather unlock his cap space for defensive help.

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
Some guys can't figure out that 3rd wheel role. Tons of guys are more skilled than Zach Hyman. But, he works his ass off, and makes simple plays. Get the puck to Mitch or Auston (or JT), drive center ice, and get in position on a screen, see a lose puck battle for it. Not all guys have that, most guys grew up as the most skilled player on their team. I mean, at what age do you think someone like Kapanen wasn't the most skilled guy on his own team? 17 or 18? Probably always in the top 4 or 5 after that. That's why so many guys have trouble adapting to being that simplistic 3rd wheel. Some guys are better where they have more freedom to create, and you aren't getting that freedom to be the primary guy on either of our top 2 lines as the 3rd wheel. I'm sure Kapanen could be an effective 2nd wheel on either top 2 line (although both of our top 2 centers prefer a cycle based game).

I find it funny, that arguably the biggest complain about Babcock from about 2016/17 to the end of 2018/19 season was how much he relied on Hyman in the top 6. I'll admit in Year 1 I was frustrated because of his ridiculous low shooting percentage, but for the last 2 and half seasons and its been great. I sort of wish we had another guy similar in the top 6 to have one with both of our star winger/center pairings. Leafs have been better under Keefe for a variety of reasons (newfound passion, new voice, more freedom, new lines, etc). But, moving Hyman down the line-up isn't one of them.

What I notice this year is hymen's play down low has elevated to another level entirely, without constantly falling on his ass. I admittedly wasn't a fan up until midway last year. Still cinderblocks for hands but his yeoman's work with puck retrieval and strong cycle play has 100% won me over.

Last edited:

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

May be he can beat all #4,#5, #6 D in any given NHL team but cannot fool any #1 or #2 D in the long term. It is what it is. At the end, he is a good player:popcorn:

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
What I notice this year is hymen's play down low has elevated to another level entirely, without constantly falling on his ass. I admittedly wasn't a fan up until midway last year. Still cinderblocks for hands but his yeoman's work with puck retrieval and strong cycle play has 100% won me over.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

More than ok with that the way it stands. Kerfoot has looked great with 2 high skill guys. Hes a great passer and they really move the puck around on that line. But what happens when Mikheyev is back? We have a log jam. I think Johnsson and his 3.4 are expendable. Or you move kerfoot and his 3.5..

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
More than ok with that the way it stands. Kerfoot has looked great with 2 high skill guys. Hes a great passer and they really move the puck around on that line. But what happens when Mikheyev is back? We have a log jam. I think Johnsson and his 3.4 are expendable. Or you move kerfoot and his 3.5..

Soup is out for some time. Don't think it will be an issue

Reactions: CelticDruid

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

Since playing with Tavares, he's become a competent playmaker with his back to the net. Which is a long way off from rookie Hyman, who made unforced turnovers. Definitely the most improved Leaf during that span.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00