Karlsson's speed on EN goal

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
There are very few players who could sprint from a stand still and blow by three opposing players. Let alone do all that after blocking the very shot which set the whole play into motion. What makes it even further impressive, at least to me, is he gained position. That wasn't just a wrestled awkward shot that went in. He fully clearly all three Arizona players. And none of them were exactly slow either.

While I agree that what Karlsson did is impressive, lots of players in this league can beat transitioning/flat-footed defenders out wide or through the middle. Rapid two-step acceleration is more common in the NHL than ever before IMO.

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
While I agree that what Karlsson did is impressive, lots of players in this league can beat transitioning/flat-footed defenders out wide or through the middle. Rapid two-step acceleration is more common in the NHL than ever before IMO.

everyone is focused on the speed part, I thought the most impressive part of the sequence was when he kicks it to himself, going fast while domi is kinda drapped over him.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
everyone is focused on the speed part, I thought the most impressive part of the sequence was when he kicks it to himself, going fast while domi is kinda drapped over him.

Yeah but its still JUST an empty netter. No way thered be a goal there if there was a goalie there

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Yeah but its still JUST an empty netter. No way thered be a goal there if there was a goalie there

If there was a goalie there there definitely wouldn't be a goal, but his single handed effort to basically force a near breakaway like that to create a good scoring chance is pretty coolio

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015

WhatsaMaatta

Feb 2, 2008
I'm not taking anything away from Karlsson but Domi isn't even a top 3 fastest player on his own team and was at the end of a shift after pulling the goalie. What exactly does this prove? And that's blowing by him? I watched the game live and thought wow can't believe Domi almost kept up with Karlsson.

You weren't surprised Domi could keep up with Karlsson when he was basically riding him like a horse and had a head start?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
If there was a goalie there there definitely wouldn't be a goal, but his single handed effort to basically force a near breakaway like that to create a good scoring chance is pretty coolio

Yeah your right it was a pretty sweet effort

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Ok it's a nice showcase of his speed. No question about that.... but it was all just a little ridiculous. You have a two goal lead with less than 20 seconds to go and you chase that hard just to pad your stats? Ok then.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Ok it's a nice showcase of his speed. No question about that.... but it was all just a little ridiculous. You have a two goal lead with less than 20 seconds to go and you chase that hard just to pad your stats? Ok then.

I'm sure Boucher is going to bench his ass after a selfish stunt like that.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

This is going to sound stupid but there is a promotion at Sens games where if the Sens score in the final minute, people at the arena get a free Big Mac the next day with their ticket. I think Karl was going hard to get lunch for all of us ;)

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I'm sure Boucher is going to bench his ass after a selfish stunt like that.

I certainly didn't imply anything like that should be the slightest bit considered. I'm not trying to pick a fight with Ottawa. All I'm saying is I don't know why a multi-Norris winner tried so hard to get that goal considering the two goal lead and the time on the clock. Clear the zone and let the clock run out. After cheering and settling off the high, I'd say the exact same thing if EK played for my team.

This is going to sound stupid but there is a promotion at Sens games where if the Sens score in the final minute, people at the arena get a free Big Mac the next day with their ticket. I think Karl was going hard to get lunch for all of us ;)

:laugh: If that is actually his intention, then I have a whole lot more respect for a player I already respected a whole lot.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
So glad to see he still has his speed after that horrible injury. Can any Sens fan comment on whether he's still as silky smooth in his strides as he was before it?

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
So glad to see he still has his speed after that horrible injury. Can any Sens fan comment on whether he's still as silky smooth in his strides as he was before it?

It doesn't seem as silky before, but it seems almost as powerful if that made any sense. Or as close as it has ever been up to this point anyways.

Even though it looks silky now, in comparison it's ever so slightly choppier than early parts of 2012-2013. He might just have stronger balance now than before on top of that though.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

He looks like he has to put in more effort now. I still think his skating isn't what it was, but he's become smarter and picks his spots better.

Pre-injury Karlsson would go coast to coast without looking like he was trying.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Not as fast or as silky smooth, at least not consistently. His agility also is not as smooth and pivots, even though they're still near or tops in the league.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think he's still as fast in a straight line but his agility and edgework is maybe slightly worse.

Wrath

Jan 13, 2012
I like the idea to chip it into open space (gambling that he could get to it before the defenders and what not).

That said I didn't find the speed to be particularly amazing, I think Karlsson's had a lot better skating/speed feats in the past (and he is no doubt an exceptional skater).

Was expecting Mackinnon or McDavid levels of burst/speed. Nevertheless, good play.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Pre-Cooke Karlsson floated around the ice. Now he's still fast, but he looks like he's trying a lot harder and digging into the ice to get leverage.

He also doesn't have that silly old video game style speed burst that it used to look like he pressed. He just accelerates past people like a normal fast skater, instead of just appearing 2 feet in front of someone.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Pre-Cooke Karlsson floated around the ice. Now he's still fast, but he looks like he's trying a lot harder and digging into the ice to get leverage.

He also doesn't have that silly old video game style speed burst that it used to look like he pressed. He just accelerates past people like a normal fast skater, instead of just appearing 2 feet in front of someone.

Sorry, but that sounds ridiculous to me. He's still crazy fast.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Sorry, but that sounds ridiculous to me. He's still crazy fast.

He used to accelerate past/to people (even fast skaters) at an insane rate. A few steps and he had opened a gap wide enough that the chasing player is not even chasing anymore but rather just another guy back checking. He cant do that anymore but he is still very fast.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad