Karlsson's speed on EN goal

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
For the record, the reason he went "all out" on the EN goal is that makes him the all-time goal leader for Ottawa d-men. I don't think he was trying to pad stats...although stat padders usually don't block shots like that.

Haha why do people care, it's the NHL, people are supposed to go all out. Can't believe people are crapping on him for giving too much effort, I mean it's a play you'd probably only see from him and McDavid despite being an empty netter. Karlsson threads are basically a waste of time. Some Ottawa fans prop him up like he's the second coming and some non-Ottawa fans have an irrational hatred because of those Ottawa fans despite probably never having watched the guy play. The way he's played so far this year is awesome, hopefully he keeps it up :yo:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Well, if he never made a mistake then he'd be best defender of all-time.

Also, thats the same game EK took Matthews and your team for a walk in OT and made game winning play, right? Ya.

I really don't want to turn this into a pissing match, and I say this with utmost respect, but since when is retaining possession in a 3-on-3 OT worth bragging about? I've seen people do it numerous times now, and I don't get it. That's more or less to be expected, at least until an attempt on goal is made. The execution on the OT goal though was very nice.

For the record, the reason he went "all out" on the EN goal is that makes him the all-time goal leader for Ottawa d-men. I don't think he was trying to pad stats...although stat padders usually don't block shots like that.

Don't think it needs to be justified. There was a chance to close the game, it would really only be noteworthy if he didn't even attempt to do it.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
No they aren't. I didn't see his pivots effecting him negatively at the end of last year, during the world cup, during preseason, or during the start of this season so far. When was the last time you saw him struggling pivoting? Any recent video of him failing to pivot properly resulting in a goal against? His pivots are fine unless you're letting your memory be effected by 2013 or 2014 where it actually was an issue.
Laine in the WCH.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Lol it's 100% true. Ottawa hasn't been a contender just about his entire tenure (and it's pretty much because it's built around him).

Homer press or the Canadian echo chamber don't count, it has to be leaguewide or at least very widespread, e.g. Thornton.
Well it was obvious you were referencing Thronton. Karlsson isn't quite at that level yet but he gets constant flak for the Senators not being good, and you always see people saying they wouldn't take him for a playoff run over lesser players.

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
Haha why do people care, it's the NHL, people are supposed to go all out. Can't believe people are crapping on him for giving too much effort, I mean it's a play you'd probably only see from him and McDavid despite being an empty netter. Karlsson threads are basically a waste of time. Some Ottawa fans prop him up like he's the second coming and some non-Ottawa fans have an irrational hatred because of those Ottawa fans despite probably never having watched the guy play. The way he's played so far this year is awesome, hopefully he keeps it up :yo:

:laugh::laugh:

He just can't win with some people.

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa

Ya whats with this. At all level of sports you see it. I go out and play in my beer league and give it my all because it is fun to play my best and some people are thinking/saying "try hard".

Like come on people why play if your not going to play your best? That goes for beer leagues to NHLers and everyone inbetween.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
This thread is about karlsson's speed and play on that EN goal. I don't know why so many are ******** over his 'defensive game' or his lack of somehow not'leading a team to a cup'

just enjoy the play

Because immediately Ottawa fans talk about his PKTOI and "elite defensive play"

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If only he wasn't the laziest defender in the league.

If only he put this much effort into defending. I've seen him getting deked out and then going for a stroll

Because immediately Ottawa fans talk about his PKTOI and "elite defensive play"

These aren't sens fans and those are just on the first page and first mention of his 'defensive play' .... PKTOI was a reply to one of these posts...but alright :help:

Canadian91

May 8, 2009
Ottawa
Someone made the mistake of starting an EK thread on hfboards.

Yikes. Lots of unfounded hate for him here... apparently the best defenseman in the NHL is trying too hard. :laugh::shakehead:help:

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
karlsson on the ice in the last minute protecting a lead, this video already raises too many questions, then the block shot.......someone is very good at making a fake video

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
And being compared to Coffey and Orr is a bad thing? And yes, a lot of people described them as 4th forwards. Bobby Orr revolutionized the game.

Maybe Ottawa should change their strategy. Supposedly, they had the best defensemen EVER and still didn't make the playoffs. And that doesn't imply Karlsson is a loser. It implies Ottawa's strategy didn't work for 8th place in their conference.

Another exaggeration. Literally only one person on this thread made that claim.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Crease clearing, open-ice hitting, fighting, scrums, crease crashing, bodychecking in general, etc.

Please don't try to say physical play is a strength of his.

Crease clearing is not his job, open ice hitting is a high light reel and not necessary if you can work your way around it, fighting goes the way of the dinosaurs, you want a defender to crash the crease?, body checking is nice but not necessary.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I really don't want to turn this into a pissing match, and I say this with utmost respect, but since when is retaining possession in a 3-on-3 OT worth bragging about? I've seen people do it numerous times now, and I don't get it. That's more or less to be expected, at least until an attempt on goal is made. The execution on the OT goal though was very nice.

Frankly, bro, you're one of the top Leaf posters so this doesn't apply to you but ever since that game, continuous and blatantly false claims of Matthews "undressing" Karlsson are constantly made. The thing is, since Sens fans didn't address this early, what started off as an exaggerated statement, became a reality to some, even to many who didn't watch the goal. "You repeat a lie enough times it becomes the truth". And it's narratives like this that continue to be formed and end up drawing false depictions of Karlsson's game.

A pick-pocket becomes an undressing and one Karlsson defensive mistake(which happens frequently to many defenders) becomes the symbol of his defensive game. Thus I gotta keep em in check and let em know that's the same guy who also had a terrific game and showed why he's the best with his OT performance against said legend Matthews. Also a bit of an exaggerated statement on my end, but necessary it seems to shut them up.

Someone made the mistake of starting an EK thread on hfboards.

Yikes. Lots of unfounded hate for him here... apparently the best defenseman in the NHL is trying too hard. :laugh::shakehead:help:

Yea, if he gets dangled in friendly play in PRACTICE to Hjammerson it deserves it's own thread. If he blocks a shot and skates through 3 Arizona players to score Sens all-time lead in goals, "lmfao just an EN goal stop shoving him down our throats and then you wonder why we hate him, btw his defense sucks."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad