Karlsson vs Hedman: Who was the better defensemen at their best?

Better Dman at their best

• Total voters

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
EK had a realistic case as a top 2 or 3 player in the league at his peak. Hedman is great and probably a top 2 or 3 dman in the league rn but not the same level as EK

I can't really think of any d-man i would rather have this season honestly. That being said i'd go with Karlsson, the man was a rocket on those skates before he got injured.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
11-17 Karlsson was incredible, he was 15th in scoring overall during those seasons combined, and that includes the aciles season where he only played 17 games, he was 12th leauge wide in points per game.... Even though it was only 19 games, I think he was the best player on the planet during that sens run.

All while being average at best defensively.....

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Karlsson was arguably the best player in the world at his peak. I pick him quite comfortably. That is no slight to Hedman whom I view as the best overall defense man in the NHL currently.

Reactions: slapKing and Bileur

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean I would make time to watch sens games just to watch prime Karlsson play. I don’t think people “make time” to watch Hedman play, more so Tampa overall as they are arguably the best team in the league.

I voted EK but let's not confuse entertainment factor for effectiveness.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
This is all I have to say

I think what the video shows is that EK is gifted offensively but fortunate at the same time. Had EK played on a defensive-minded team like LA, STL, or Nashville during his tenure, there is no way those coaches would have let him loose like that and make those high-risk plays. As a defensemen attempting to dangle multiple guys in the neutral or offensive zone, if he turns it over, that's an odd man rush going the other way. I also wonder what Doughty would have been like if he played for a team that let him do whatever he wanted at all times.

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
I think what the video shows is that EK is gifted offensively but fortunate at the same time. Had EK played on a defensive-minded team like LA, STL, or Nashville during his tenure, there is no way those coaches would have let him loose like that and make those high-risk plays. As a defensemen attempting to dangle multiple guys in the neutral or offensive zone, if he turns it over, that's an odd man rush going the other way. I also wonder what Doughty would have been like if he played for a team that let him do whatever he wanted at all times.
The guy on one foot drove the 1-4 flaccid Guy Boucher trap senators to within one goal of the conference finals. He still took over games even on a defensive team.

Reactions: Bileur

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012

Lmao that video is from the year he spent on a defensive system, and he excelled in it. Do you think Guy Boucher preached free-wheeling, end to end hockey?

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Lmao that video is from the year he spent on a defensive system, and he excelled in it. Do you think Guy Boucher preached free-wheeling, end to end hockey?

No, but he obviously allowed it when many other coaches wouldn't tolerate it whatsoever.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
No, but he obviously allowed it when many other coaches wouldn't tolerate it whatsoever.

His point still stands. He played on a very defensively structured team that year and was still able to do that because it did not jeopardize or remove from the effectiveness of the system, thus Ottawa reaching the finals.. on EK's back no less.

When you have a player like EK you don't tolerate or un-tolerate...you adapt around the Norris calibre D and top 3 player in the league(at that time).

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Do you think Hedman on those Ottawa teams would have gotten them further to the Cup than Karlsson?

Ask yourself that question. Karlsson basically took that team on his back and carried them to one goal away from the Cup final.

The best forward he has played with his entire career has been Mark Stone (Alfy/Spezza were way past their primes when Karlsson broke in).

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
It's funny how everybody was putting Hedman over every other dman in the league right now by a wide margin when he won the Conn Smythe. Now he 's not even close to peak Karlsson. And peak Karlsson wasn't even close to Lidstrom at the time. And all non Swedish fans agreed that Lidstrom wasn't close to Bourque. And Bourque wasn't close to Bobby Orr. Seems like defensemen have only gotten worse and worse as the time goes on...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad