Karlsson vs Hedman: Who was the better defensemen at their best?

Better Dman at their best

• Total voters

eli4spetterss0n

Jul 9, 2013
White Rock, BC
Karlsson was a top 3 player in the league at point like other posters have mentioned above. You could argue Hedman is the 3rd best player right now behind McDavid & MacKinnon.

Also, who had the better playoff run? 2017 Karlsson or Hedman last year?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Karlsson at his peak was a very special player. I don't think Hedman has quite reached that, although he's still a HHOF dman. A part of me believes that we were robbed of what Karlsson could truly do. Had Cooke not stomped on him, he could've gone down with the Bourques and the Lidstroms.

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
Karlsson at his absolute peak was the best player in the NHL for a short time

11-17 Karlsson was incredible, he was 15th in scoring overall during those seasons combined, and that includes the aciles season where he only played 17 games, he was 12th leauge wide in points per game.... Even though it was only 19 games, I think he was the best player on the planet during that sens run.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
the one playing on the way better team?

Matt Murray has 2 cups and Lundqvist and Luongo have none.
Lots of guys have multiple Cups that were only complementary pieces. However, we are comparing two great players. To me, what separates the greats is their ability to lead their teams to Cups. Hedman has the Cup, and the Smythe. Karlsson is great too, but that Cup and Smyth put Hedman ahead for me.

Reactions: T REX

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Lots of guys have multiple Cups that were only complementary pieces. However, we are comparing two great players. To me, what separates the greats is their ability to lead their teams to Cups. Hedman has the Cup, and the Smythe. Karlsson is great too, but that Cup and Smyth put Hedman ahead for me.

When was Karlsson supposed the win the Cup and the Smythe

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Now who was more instrumental to the success of his team? Hedman in 2020 or Karlsson in that Cup run?
I think people will remember Hedman's career as the better one, but if I'm going in the playoffs next year and I have the choice, I pick peak Karlsson.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Now who was more instrumental to the success of his team? Hedman in 2020 or Karlsson in that Cup run?
I think people will remember Hedman's career as the better one, but if I'm going in the playoffs next year and I have the choice, I pick peak Karlsson.
Okay. I’m picking Hedman. Imo Hedman is a more complete player, who can bring meanness, and is a better leader. That’s just my view though. It’s not like EK wasn’t a fabulous player too.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Okay. I’m picking Hedman. Imo Hedman is a more complete player, who can bring meanness, and is a better leader. That’s just my view though. It’s not like EK wasn’t a fabulous player too.

Fair enough, they're honestly both the best defensemen of their generation/time overall. For all that matters in the long term I'd probably pick Hedman - he's just a rock lol

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Fair enough, they're honestly both the best defensemen of their generation/time overall. For all that matters in the long term I'd probably pick Hedman - he's just a rock lol
And if I’m buying a ticket to watch a player (in his prime) I’m definitely picking EK over Hedman.

Reactions: abo9

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Hedman is good at defending and always has been. I'm inclined to say the guy who makes his team better rather than the guy who padded his stats.

this line of thinking always makes me laugh. when Hedman and Doughty are on bad teams and struggling its because they were on bad teams but when Karlsson was struggling on a bad teams its cuz he was bad.

such logic

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
this line of thinking always makes me laugh. when Hedman and Doughty are on bad teams and struggling its because they were on bad teams but when Karlsson was struggling on a bad teams its cuz he was bad.

such logic

It's always been bad for Karlsson like that, put him on an excellent team and what does he do? Well luckily we got to see him in the 2014 olympics, and he only tied for the tournament lead in scoring (all players) and won defenseman of the tournament....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad