Karlsson vs Hedman: Who was the better defensemen at their best?

Better Dman at their best

• Total voters

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
:huh::laugh: Still not understanding a word of what I'm saying, missing the point completely

Listen: Prime Karlsson was either a part of a system where he focused mostly on offense and putting up historical numbers (no you can't compare 72 points by Hedman in a completely different scoring environment with Karlsson being 4th in league scoring with 82 while also leading his team in points - first since Orr to do that) with less defensive responsibilities, or a great 2-way Dman, while not historical offensively, still top 2 in D-man scoring. He could do both depending on the system. Hedman is slightly better defensively than Karlsson at his best while being a country mile behind at offense.

Hedman is not slightly better than Karlsson defensively. He's light years better. Karlsson is not a country mile ahead at offense (at his best), he is a little bit better.

Hedman doesn't, as YOU say "focus on offense, ALL offense, only offense" to the point of leading the league in on ice goals against, and cause an increase in goals against on his own team... i.e. more goals against relative to his team, every year but one in Ottawa (and that one year was basically even).

Last edited:

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Karlsson was a crazy skilled D man and one of the top players in the league but if I was building a team, I would rather have the guy who gets 10-15 less points but is an absolute beast in his own end. Hedman is just a better all around player

Reactions: cowboy82nd

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Hedman is not slightly better than Karlsson defensively. He's light years better. Karlsson is not a country mile ahead at offense (at his best), he is a little bit better.

Hedman doesn't, as YOU say "focus on offense, ALL offense, only offense" to the point of leading the league in on ice goals against, and cause an increase in goals against on his own team... i.e. more goals against relative to his team, every year but one in Ottawa (and that one year was basically even).

Still missing the point

Last edited:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Karlsson was a crazy skilled D man and one of the top players in the league but if I was building a team, I would rather have the guy who gets 10-15 less points but is an absolute beast in his own end. Hedman is just a better all around player

Yup.

Some people here just dont get this point though.

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
This is Karlsson.

some people are forgetting how good Karlsson was at his peak. That's no slight to Hedman, who I consider the best D-man in the league right now. But Karlsson was just that great.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Peak Ranking

Karlsson Offense: 100
Karlsson Defense: 80

Hedman Offense: 90
Hedman Defense: 100

If this is a question about overall impact, the answer is Hedman. If, however, the question is regarding offense, points, or entertainment, it is Karlsson.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Karlsson ainec. And I say this as someone who thinks Hedman is the best d and a top 5 player right now.

Karlsson was a top 2 player on the planet.

MightySelanne8

Mar 10, 2014
Helsinki
The disrespect Karlsson has received over the years on this board is laughable. You could argue Karlsson was a top2 player in the world at his peak, you cant say that about Hedman.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
No one could do what prime Karlsson could. The league desperately misses a guy like him. Maybe Dahlin can fill those shoes

There have been and there'll be plenty of players like Hedman until the end of time. Players that influence a game like Karlsson are so much more rare.

Last edited:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Imagine giving prime Karlsson the supporting cast that Hedman currently has. He'd be putting up Bobby Orr numbers.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Nah you have to play defense in Tampa.
Prime Karlsson went ppg over a season with Mark Stone, Bobby Ryan and Mike Hoffman as the 3 best forwards on his team...it doesn't matter what defence Tampa plays, going from those forwards to Kucherov, Stamkos and Point will at the very least keep him at ppg.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Karlsson could dominate games with his play, in his prime. I’m still sad that Matt Cooke was able to exist in the NHL long enough to ruin so many peoples’ careers.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Injuries and not wanting to do any off-season training derailed Karlsson's elite play on the ice. When at his best, he was a game changer on the ice, nearly every shift.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Imagine giving prime Karlsson the supporting cast that Hedman currently has. He'd be putting up Bobby Orr numbers.

Sorry no, that's not how it works. As we discussed when the trade happened and people were suggesting it was 90 point season time, he went to San Jose and him and Burns split points instead.

On a better team the offense isn't flowing through solely one guy no matter how good, and frankly Hedman is a good comparison in this case because Tampa shows that.

Karlsson is absolutely the offensive lightning rod and instant offense and can do things like that on a shit team but when he's a cog in the machine rather than the machine itself he suffers the same fate as many others, the offense spreads out a lot more, even if there's a clear leader.

Reminder that I voted for Karlsson before the fan club pinatas me again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad