Karlsson Trade

What would you trade for Karlsson?

• Total voters

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Yes I went back and saw what you wrote after you posted it and it was a little vague so partly my bad.

That being said why is it when anything negative is posted about Karlsson it's always another players fault?
Or injuries. There is always an excuse though. Always. Whatever team he gets traded to will suddenly be a bad team that holds him back.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Or injuries. There is always an excuse though. Always. Whatever team he gets traded to will suddenly be a bad team that holds him back.

Unless the cap rules change it's going to be really tough for the sharks to trade Karlsson.

In a warped way maybe some injury relief might be the best they can hope for?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
For context, the OP asked me to start a poll because I had disagreed with his weak take:

The poll should actually be "Do you think Karlsson is good but not great offensively and worth less than 6 million a year at this point?"
The answer would be YES.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'd love to see EK65 and Chabot paired up.

Why though? Doubtful they would actually be paired together anyways, aside from on the PP and in desperation mode.

These two players are much better suited to being partnered with a steady stay at home/two way Dman, imo.

Even though they both shoot right, Doug Wilson and lot of other people all probably thought that Karlsson and Burns were going to dominate the puck together on the blueline. But it didnt quite work out that way, and if anything, its just made things a bit crowded and complicated back there. Too much of one thing imo, with Burns and Karl both back there.

I actually thought that Vlasic and Karlsson would have been an incredible pairing together, but we dont see that for whatever reason. Was it tried and it failed? Maybe the sharks fans can elaborate on that..

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
voted option A under the assumption that i'd be a GM for some random team

don't think i'd be willing to part with a 1st for him for the Wings specifically because the pick would be very high plus they are too many pieces off being good right now anyways but I would for most teams

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Why though? Doubtful they would actually be paired together anyways, aside from on the PP and in desperation mode.

These two players are much better suited to being partnered with a steady stay at home/two way Dman, imo.

Even though they both shoot right, Doug Wilson and lot of other people all probably thought that Karlsson and Burns were going to dominate the puck together on the blueline. But it didnt quite work out that way, and if anything, its just made things a bit crowded and complicated back there. Too much of one thing imo, with Burns and Karl both back there.

I actually thought that Vlasic and Karlsson would have been an incredible pairing together, but we dont see that for whatever reason. Was it tried and it failed? Maybe the sharks fans can elaborate on that..

Vlasic has fallen off hardest in terms of "older players" on the Sharks.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
EK has had a better career than Petro for sure but as of right now Petro is still on the top of his game and his style will age very well IMO Petro well still be very good in 5 years, EK is clearly not the same player after the second surgery and his game was always built on skating, speed and quickness, all three of those are not the same and only going to get worse as he ages. If a teams were choosing which they would have for the next 7 years I would think a wide majority of GMs would choose Petro, if they were taking both players as a rookie they ALL would take EK

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
EK has had a better career than Petro for sure but as of right now Petro is still on the top of his game and his style will age very well IMO Petro well still be very good in 5 years, EK is clearly not the same player after the second surgery and his game was always built on skating, speed and quickness, all three of those are not the same and only going to get worse as he ages. If a teams were choosing which they would have for the next 7 years I would think a wide majority of GMs would choose Petro, if they were taking both players as a rookie they ALL would take EK

When Petro is making 10-11 mil and putting up 40-50 pts a year next year I’ll be interested how similar these threads will look.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
The poll needs a retain 25 or 50 percent and then I'd give up good assets.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
When Petro is making 10-11 mil and putting up 40-50 pts a year next year I’ll be interested how similar these threads will look.

The thing is Petro actually plays the defensive side of playing defense, EK us like a third winger at times, if you only look at points then of course EK wins, but overall game I stand by my post

Reactions: BlueMed

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
My option isn't listed, so I voted for the closest possible one. I'd normally say no way, even with 50% retention and multiple first round picks coming back, but San Jose is likely to be pretty bad in upcoming years, so there's a chance if I was sent 2-3 first round picks along with Karlsson, I might get a top 5 pick out of it. At that point, I could justify it. If the team was clearly going to be competitive without Karlsson, I'm not accepting that trade, even with 50% retention and 2-3 first round picks coming back. San Jose doesn't have good prospects either. Late firsts and middling prospects are not enough to justify such a huge albatross, even at 50% retention.

Let's face it. Karlsson is already declining fast because of injuries and has seven years left. Do I think he'll be worth anywhere near a 5.75M player the last 3-4 years of that contract? No, and it'll only cause problems for the team because you aren't going to sit a Hall of Fame defenseman in the press box, so you'll have no other choice than to have him as your 3RHD for the last 3-4 years of that contract, he'll play on the PP and likely pick up some points, and be a big negative elsewhere. You'll be overpaying for that role on your team, and it could cost you re-signing a player you want to re-sign.

Just yikes dude

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
It's certainly not a good contract, and I'd be hesitant to pay a 1st or more.

But Erik Karlsson was a once-in-a-generation good defenseman just a couple years ago. Not a one-dimensional forward, or a streaky, volatile goalie, but a play driving machine of a defenseman.

If he falls to being an average #1 defenseman, those are never really available on the trade market and a low first is not much to give up for the right to that market value contract.

The only caveat here is that the Canucks already stupidly gave Tyler Myers that excess $4m per year relative to what he's worth, and have Loui Eriksson at an excess $7M per year (he's paid $6M...) So I wouldn't advocate that they go for Karlsson given that, but if there was a way to make those contracts disappear, I'd trade a first for Karlsson and his contract for sure.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
In the anonymous agent poll just published, Karlsson’s contract was voted one of the worst. Glad to know it isn’t just hf posters that hate his contract.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach

Easy. Karlsson is terrible so Vlasic had to play as if he has no d partner which wore him out over time.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Easy. Karlsson is terrible so Vlasic had to play as if he has no d partner which wore him out over time.

Yikes.

As a sharks fan, if you had to guess, what percentage of your fan base is not a fan of Erik Karlsson, and wish that he and the sharks had never hooked up in the first place? Over 50%?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad