Karlsson Trade

What would you trade for Karlsson?

• Total voters

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
too much risk. Was the best dman in the NHL for long periods of his career, but I don't think he's that anymore. Still a #1D in my eyes, but the injuries are scary and he's not young anymore.

Reactions: Gains

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think he might still have it in him, but I wouldn't expect the Senators Karlsson to return.

I picked option B. If I am the GM and have the cap space to make this kind of trade, I might consider it if I don't have to trade anything of value in return.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Just speaking from my teams’ perspective I had to vote 50%, otherwise it wouldn’t make any sense.

That’s not a reflection on how I view the player, just the contract.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Habs fan, option 1.

Not 2020 pick though. (ideally i'd pay a lot less - but if it came down to pay this and get him, or don't and don't get him, i'd do it)

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
1. Highly situational. His contract is not good, but I expect him to be a good player worth at least 8M for the next 4-5 years. After that.....

2. If I was, say, the Leafs/Chicago and I had an unlimited budget and I was trying to rebuild/contend, I'd give up some good pieces to trade for him if San Jose retained salary. Yeah, it would suck in 4-5 years but by then you could figure out a trade with someone to get rid of him.

3. I still think someone could give up something good without retention as long as San Jose took back some salary. The issue is finding someone to take on the whole salary + having to give up pieces. That's the problem with UFAs. They're always overpaid by definition (winner's curse).

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Are you upset at me or something? Why did you feel yet another Karlsson thread is needed?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
There are a ton of teams that would trade a 1st for Erik Karlsson. What is this?

Well considering that the NHL will lose a of revenue due to COVID and that the cap probably will stay flat for quite some time (if not decline), that contract is very bad.

Yeah there will be teams that would trade a 1st for him. Does not make it a good decision. It would in fact be a horrible one. IMO Plan A for any franchise right now should be to stay away from huge contracts with aging or injury prone players.

But there are tons of bad GMs out there...

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
As long as I have the cap space, option A for sure, if not do what you can to match salary’s as close as possible.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
In a dream scenario where the Senators are a big spending team, I'd be fine with them acquiring him for a very soft return. I say a soft return, because if San Jose is moving him at full cap, I think they'll have very little leverage. I think the long COVID-19 caused layoff will do him good. Think something similar to the Subban trade, where it cost New Jersey very little, because there was nobody else willing to take on the full cap hit without retention.

In the non-dream world, they absolutely couldn't even take him for free right now. That's purely based on speculation about Melnyk's finances, and whether or not we'll spend to the cap. I also think I am a lot more bullish on Karlsson than any GM who actually has to put in the trade call and basically put their livelihood on the line over acquiring that one contract would be. It's a lot easier to be a cute factoid in a Reddit TIL post as the GM who could have had Karlsson for cheap after Karlsson bounces back, than it is to be the GM whose ruined his teams entire build because he gambled on one of the highest cap hits in the league, and that player didn't bounce back.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
For context, the OP asked me to start a poll because I had disagreed with his weak take:

At this point in his career, he's a defensively inept, offensively good but not great, injury prone dman on a salary worth in the range of double what he's worth, if not more, with a lot of term.

The poll should actually be "Do you think Karlsson is good but not great offensively and worth less than 6 million a year at this point?"

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I would expect at least 20% retained, even then he wouldn't be worth his contract as he will definitely not be a 9+ million dollar player 3+ years from now, but at least he wouldn't be sinking your whole team.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
In a dream scenario where the Senators are a big spending team, I'd be fine with them acquiring him for a very soft return. I say a soft return, because if San Jose is moving him at full cap, I think they'll have very little leverage. I think the long COVID-19 caused layoff will do him good. Think something similar to the Subban trade, where it cost New Jersey very little, because there was nobody else willing to take on the full cap hit without retention.

In the non-dream world, they absolutely couldn't even take him for free right now. That's purely based on speculation about Melnyk's finances, and whether or not we'll spend to the cap. I also think I am a lot more bullish on Karlsson than any GM who actually has to put in the trade call and basically put their livelihood on the line over acquiring that one contract would be. It's a lot easier to be a cute factoid in a Reddit TIL post as the GM who could have had Karlsson for cheap after Karlsson bounces back, than it is to be the GM whose ruined his teams entire build because he gambled on one of the highest cap hits in the league, and that player didn't bounce back.

I'd love to see EK65 and Chabot paired up.

Reactions: armani

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
7 years remaining at 11.5M.
30 years old as of the start of next season.
Injury concerns.

Yeah, there isn't any halfway reasonable trade that could be made that I'd want my team to make for him.

A complete anchor of a contract.
Yeah with that contract im not touching Karlsson with a 100 foot pole, his best days are behind him.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
What a complete shit poll. op could you have made a more convoluted and biased worded poll? You said that EK at 50% retention wasn't worth a first. Why didn't you just use that question? Don't bother answering we know you're just shit posting.

Reactions: LeProspector

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
I'd move a first for him, sj may need to take a contract or two but its risk reward type deal I'd take the risk

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Karlsson and Vlasic are both just hard no contracts for me. I just couldn't take those things on, unless i'm on a serious hot seat and about to lose my job if i don't make the team better today. Or if i'm unloading a similarly awful long-term anchor contract the other way to balance things.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
You know what? I would not bring him on during a rebuild, since the Sharks will be looking for rebuild pieces.
But as a contender/cusp of contender, I would give good pieces for him on a retained salary. 1st pick + prospect

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'd love to have Doughty and Karlsson on the same blueline, but I also don't have a clue what I'd give up to make it happen at 20% retention, haha.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
My option isn't listed, so I voted for the closest possible one. I'd normally say no way, even with 50% retention and multiple first round picks coming back, but San Jose is likely to be pretty bad in upcoming years, so there's a chance if I was sent 2-3 first round picks along with Karlsson, I might get a top 5 pick out of it. At that point, I could justify it. If the team was clearly going to be competitive without Karlsson, I'm not accepting that trade, even with 50% retention and 2-3 first round picks coming back. San Jose doesn't have good prospects either. Late firsts and middling prospects are not enough to justify such a huge albatross, even at 50% retention.

Let's face it. Karlsson is already declining fast because of injuries and has seven years left. Do I think he'll be worth anywhere near a 5.75M player the last 3-4 years of that contract? No, and it'll only cause problems for the team because you aren't going to sit a Hall of Fame defenseman in the press box, so you'll have no other choice than to have him as your 3RHD for the last 3-4 years of that contract, he'll play on the PP and likely pick up some points, and be a big negative elsewhere. You'll be overpaying for that role on your team, and it could cost you re-signing a player you want to re-sign.

Last edited:

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Absolutely no interest in the contract. I don't think I'd even want it with 50% retention and multiple first round picks coming back.

5.75 million for a top pairing defensemen with multiple 1st round picks going your way?

That makes no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad