Karlsson Trade

What would you trade for Karlsson?

• Total voters

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
5.75 million for a top pairing defensemen with multiple 1st round picks going your way?

That makes no sense.

You'll be paying 5.75 for a 6th or 7th D the last few years of that contract. He's declining every year. Will he even be a top pairing defenseman in two years? Not every team needs that style of player immediately. In fact, my team doesn't.

I amended my post slightly, but the main point remains the same. It would probably take knowledge that I'm likely getting back an early lottery pick to take on that contract. A few late firsts and 50% retention won't be enough. Karlsson's contract is a certified albatross. One of the worst contracts in a salary cap league.

Reactions: wetcoast

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You'll be paying 5.75 for a 6th or 7th D the last few years of that contract. He's declining every year. Will he even be a top pairing defenseman in two years? Not every team needs that style of player immediately. In fact, my team doesn't.

I amended my post slightly, but the main point remains the same. It would probably take knowledge that I'm likely getting back an early lottery pick to take on that contract. A few late firsts and 50% retention won't be enough. Karlsson's contract is a certified albatross. One of the worst contracts in a salary cap league.

You make it seem like Karlsson was not a very good PPG defensemen in the league last year in the Pietrangelo and Letang realm.

Pietrangelo is going to get EK money.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You make it seem like Karlsson was not a very good PPG defensemen in the league last year in the Pietrangelo and Letang realm.

But he wasn't a PPG defenseman this season, and I think you'd probably even agree he's getting worse, not better. If I'm getting a player that this season was a glorified Barrie or Shattenkirk, and I expect further decline due to an accumulation of injuries, why does it matter how he did in 2018-19? Why should I pay for his career accomplishments?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
But he wasn't a PPG defenseman this season, and I think you'd probably even agree he's getting worse, not better. If I'm getting a player that this season was a glorified Barrie or Shattenkirk, and I expect further decline due to an accumulation of injuries, why does it matter how he did in 2018-19? Why should I pay for his career accomplishments?

Pretty off base analysis tbh.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Nice argument. Pretty obvious some in here had agendas prior to Karlsson ever having a poor season.
You think your horseshit list deserved a counter argument? Pretty obvious some in here have zero understanding of a salary cap league. Hell, some aren't even bright enough to know which teams still have a 1st round pick.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
As long as EK keeps having injury issues and his form seems unclear to a point where you don't really know what you're getting, i wouldn't trade a 1st round pick for that cap hit. We're talking 3 consecutive up and down seasons where he's been what he's capable of for like total of 6 months ?

I could spend that cap room on 2 mid-range top 6F/top 4D players and i believe that is the better option for the team and depth. EK would have to be a big time difference maker to beat that in my mind, and right now he's just too unreliable.

If i end up looking silly in the end and he has some of his best years in the next 5 or so seasons, then so be it. It's a game of chance anyway.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Are we saying this trade immediately happens? Teams will make cap space for a player like Karlsson.
Explain how Edmonton and/or Florida make the cap space to take on Karlsson and still have a team worth discussing?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Karlsson never looked the same after that 2nd surgery. He has been plagued by injuries before and since the 2017 ECF run.

If he can stay healthy and play consistently, I would gladly take him back to Ottawa at 25% retention.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
making the money work would be difficult/impossible for a team like tampa but hes still a quite good dman who id love to acquire

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Move Russell in the trade, not resign AA or Mike Smith.
1. Adding Russel to the trade isn't allowed.
2. your trade still isn't close to working unless the cap goes up about $5M. That isn't happening.

Maybe make a real effort this time?

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

He wasnt PPG and he certainly was nowhere near the Pietrangelo or even Letang realm.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Seems like by the results youre in a heavy minority thinking that.

1. Doesn’t matter, necessarily. If 22.1% of GMs would trade a first for Karlsson then you’d have 6-7 teams interested. Not that I think that’s the case, Karlsson’s contract will be a contentious issue for any team in a cap league — however — I do think that with retention, a lot of teams should be interested and would give up valuable assets for him. Didn’t see that option in the poll?

2. I tend to agree with the posters who called out this poll for being shit. It’s definitely biased towards a highly negative notion of Karlsson’s value. How many teams can fit Karlsson under their cap? How many feel like they would love to see Karlsson on their team but realizes it would not make sense for them to try and obtain him? Why are most of the options variants of “Karlsson is worth nothing of value in return”, when the issue at hand for most is his massive cap hit over term, rather than his upside as a player?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
1. Doesn’t matter, necessarily. If 22.1% of GMs would trade a first for Karlsson then you’d have 6-7 teams interested. Not that I think that’s the case, Karlsson’s contract will be a contentious issue for any team in a cap league — however — I do think that with retention, a lot of teams should be interested and would give up valuable assets for him. Didn’t see that option in the poll?

2. I tend to agree with the posters who called out this poll for being shit. It’s definitely biased towards a highly negative notion of Karlsson’s value. How many teams can fit Karlsson under their cap? How many feel like they would love to see Karlsson on their team but realizes it would not make sense for them to try and obtain him? Why are most of the options variants of “Karlsson is worth nothing of value in return”, when the issue at hand for most is his massive cap hit over term, rather than his upside as a player?
Because this started with s disagreement where some sharks tans contenfed they would get a haul and not require retained sakary if they traded him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad