Proposal: Karlsson to Philly

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Honestly that's basically Ghost + a player like JVR/Simmonds level which I think I still take Karlsson over tbh. Add in the additional assets and eventual cap headache though? Definitely makes a difference. Philly's D is going to be disgusting in a couple years, just play the patience game that has finally paid off for Winnipeg

No issue with patience, but the D is even more disgusting if you swap Ghost for EK. Imagine having him and Provorov on separate pairs. They’d each play half the game. Trade Simmonds for futures and recoup a 1st rounder and your prospect pool is still very deep.

Reactions: Jared Dunn

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Karlsson is great but we are trading top 10 scoring d-men under great contract, 24 years old.. who t he f in the league does that(now that Holmgren is gone)? We have other holes. Add Tavares or Kovalchuk or taking a swing at any other high priced forward that can help us.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
No issue with patience, but the D is even more disgusting if you swap Ghost for EK. Imagine having him and Provorov on separate pairs. They’d each play half the game. Trade Simmonds for futures and recoup a 1st rounder and your prospect pool is still very deep.

Just out of curiosity - which 'half' of the game do you think Provorov - the defensemen who was tied for league lead in goals this year - doesnt play?

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I'm not a Flyers or Sens fan but I feel like Defence is the last organizational priority for the Flyers right now.. they seem pretty set there moving forward to go after a guy like Karlsson.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Like the trade for Ottawa(assuming he wont sign). Would have figured ghost was out of the conversation cause Karlsson is a soon to be UFA.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There’s a chance Sanheim is a better player than Ghost in a year or two. It might make more sense for the Flyers to move Ghost rather than Sanheim if Karlsson is the player coming back.
Or keep both and then AT WORST, the Flyers have Provy and Ghost as their top pairing. That allows Sanheim and Myers to "only" have to become middle pairing Dmen.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Or keep both and then AT WORST, the Flyers have Provy and Ghost as their top pairing. That allows Sanheim and Myers to "only" have to become middle pairing Dmen.

Can’t go wrong either way but I’d rather have two Norris caliber defensemen if it came down to it. It’s noy like making this trade would keep them from drafting and developing other defenseman.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Anybody trading for Karlsson has to take Bobby Ryan as well.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Anybody trading for Karlsson has to take Bobby Ryan as well.

That would essentially kill any return he’d get. Would not be a smart move for Ottawa considering EK can just walk in a year and you’d be stuck with Ryan. Unless the money is that important in which I’d apologize for having Melnyk as your owner.

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008

...because it's the only way for the Sens to get out of that contract cleanly. They are a package deal - doesn't matter if it tanks the return, they are going together.

Ottawa are going to strip their roster down this summer. Cap-floor team next season.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
...because it's the only way for the Sens to get out of that contract cleanly. They are a package deal - doesn't matter if it tanks the return, they are going together.

Ottawa are going to strip their roster down this summer. Cap-floor team next season.

Not saying you’re wrong, but what a mess if true. Especially in a year when they don’t even have their first round pick. That would be a horrendous decision.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

I'll bet you just about anything that Ryan and Karlsson don't get traded together.

That would be a horrible decision by Ottawa to impose that restriction. How horrible?

Horrible enough that I wouldn't even consider the Ghostisbehere inclusion anymore. I don't want to trade the OP package for Karlsson anyway, but forcing Ryan into a deal is laughable for most teams. Karlsson's new salary + Ryan's = crap ton of cap.

Reactions: Tripod

Ouroboros

Feb 3, 2008
If you are adding Bobby Ryan, what do you expect in return?

Not much. There aren't many teams who will be able to accommodate Ottawa's ask of eating Ryan's deal - I expect maybe 3 or 4 serious suitors. Vegas. New Jersey. Rangers. Colorado.

I think a 1st round pick, young roster defenseman to take Karlsson's spot and a good but not elite prospect will be the return. Perhaps they get a 2nd round pick or two as well.

Miller/Suzuki/1st
Severson/McLeod/1st

Deals like that are in the ballpark. A team with money and cap space to burn has an opportunity to get one of the league's best players for pennies on the dollar this summer.

I'll bet you just about anything that Ryan and Karlsson don't get traded together.

That would be a horrible decision by Ottawa to impose that restriction. How horrible?

Horrible enough that I wouldn't even consider the Ghostisbehere inclusion anymore. I don't want to trade the OP package for Karlsson anyway, but forcing Ryan into a deal is laughable for most teams. Karlsson's new salary + Ryan's = crap ton of cap.

The Senators don't care about getting assets or building for the future - they care about cutting financial liabilities.

Here's what Darren Dreger has to say about how people around the league feel the Senators will appraoch this offseason...

“And look guys, I’ll tell you this: Through our Stanley Cup travels you talk to many hockey people, other club executives, all of those things. And there’s a general feeling out there – and Melnyk isn’t going to like this – there’s a general feeling out there that maybe Ottawa is trying to strip things down because they’ve watched what George McPhee, Kelly McCrimmon, and the Vegas Golden Knights have done and there’s opportunity there to not spend to the hilt and still vie for a Stanley Cup championship.

“I’m not saying that’s the positioning of Melnyk to his GM, but some out there think that might be one of his tactics.”

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Thats all good and it might happen, but if we spend way too much to give a mediocre return for a top defenseman in the NHL, there WILL be a backlash in Ottawa . This is more debatable than how insane Hoffman's GF is.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
edit : not trying to insult Flyer fans.. I've heard so much garbage thrown for Karlsson. Ghost is pretty much above most of that.
Offering Ghost is an insane offer...Should not had happen. Rather wait and see who will we draft with our 2 picks this year and what will Sanheim, Morin, Myers and Hagg do next year.

but since Ryan is offered with Karlsson.. what are you expecting back?

Provorov, Karlsson and Ghost on the same team would be awesome.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
How is Rubstov coming along as a prospect? I've heard mixed reviews.
If Thats an EK extended they may ask for a bit more
The days of comparing Rubtsov to a Couturier lite are probably gone... but Philly fans shouldn’t worry.

The most time he’s ever spent with a team is 38 games. That’s it. That’s not a lot of time to develop chemistry. For all the times he’s switched teams, he’s been a PPG player on all teams besides a couple where he was either a point or two below.

He doesn’t put up dominant numbers in juniors which is where the doubt comes in- he’s literally a PPG player in juniors.

His game is that of a 2-way forward. He excels much more at the defensive aspect of the game compared to the offensive side. He’s a great skater and has a great wrist shot. His offensive IQ and vision need work though. He will get his seasoning in the AHL and hopefully he can turn out to what the flyers hoped for. If his downturn continues- think Scott Laughton.

The flyers should have no reason to sell low on this devalued asset.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Offering Ghost is an insane offer...Should not had happen. Rather wait and see who will we draft with our 2 picks this year and what will Sanheim, Morin, Myers and Hagg do next year.

but since Ryan is offered with Karlsson.. what are you expecting back?

Provorov, Karlsson and Ghost on the same team would be awesome.

It really isn't. Karlsson is much better than Ghost. Karlsson is arguably the best defenseman in the league.

Now, factoring in the contract, I don't want to trade Ghost for Karlsson either considering we are not at all desperate for defense. However, if you want a great player, giving up a very good one to get him has to happen sometimes.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
As a Flyers fan, I would be in favor of a Ghost and 19th overall for Karlsson, if a verbal extension could be worked out.

Karlsson and Provorov on the same blue line would be absolutely disgusting. And the Flyers have had great Swedish players in their history... I'd love Karlsson in O&B.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad