Proposal: Karlsson to Philly

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
So defense isn't a question mark. Tell me exactly what the GAA was against Pittsburgh in that playoff series??? Your defense and goaltending is suspect... Hasek can't bail everyone out.... although it is a nice thought. :D

I know this is going to seem like a crazy concept, but GAA isnt a stat that reflects on defensemen... you do know that, right? When Jori Lehtera and Valteri Filpulla are chasing the shadows of Malkin and Crosby, every defenseman is going to look poor.

Nevermind that we were talking development - which would kind of imply that the team isnt ready to compete with one of the best teams in the league....

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
There’s a chance Sanheim is a better player than Ghost in a year or two. It might make more sense for the Flyers to move Ghost rather than Sanheim if Karlsson is the player coming back.

Woah there. Pump the tyres. Ghost is a spectacular player, Sanheim is unlikely to hit those levels.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
There are many teams that will offer that kind of defenseman...
That just mean I made a fair offer... what teams?

there is a significant difference between Sanheim and Ghost.
of course there is.. Ghost is an established d-men under great contract scoring 45-65pts per season and that puts him to top 10 or 15 scoring d-men in the league. Karlsson is 60-80pts per season player looking to make 10M or more. Makes no sense for the Flyers to trade Ghost and to be honest no one in the league will give you Ghost type of d-men in return for Karlsson.

Last edited:

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
There are many teams that will offer that kind of defenseman... there is a significant difference between Sanheim and Ghost.

There aren’t that many teams offering up defenseman like Sanheim in a trade. I’m not even positive Hextall would.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
There aren’t that many teams offering up defenseman like Sanheim in a trade. I’m not even positive Hextall would.

You don't think Hextall would offer up Sanheim in a deal for Erik Karlsson??

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I definitely would but he might insist on a different offer. Some teams could like Myers more anyway.

That's fine. I could see that as well. But, let's remove the orange blinders here, any defenseman on the Flyers (minus Provorov) could be included in a Karlsson trade. We're talking about a multiple Norris winner, and the greatest offensive defenseman of this generation, still in the prime of his career with 7-8 elite years left. I'll go one further... Karlsson/Provorov would immediately become the best D pairing in the NHL, without question... and soon be the greatest pairing in Flyers history... surpassing the immortal Howe/McCrimmon duo.

If the Flyers have a legit chance of landing Erik Karlsson... Sanheim, Myers, even Gostisbehere, wouldn't be holding up a deal. Either would a Karlsson extension... Hextall would look to move money out the door to make it happen. Karlsson is a generational defenseman and will go down as the 3rd greatest offensive defenseman in NHL history when it's all said and done IMO. Era-adjusted, Karlsson has done prime Coffey type stuff.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
That's fine. I could see that as well. But, let's remove the orange blinders here, any defenseman on the Flyers (minus Provorov) could be included in a Karlsson trade. We're talking about a multiple Norris winner, and the greatest offensive defenseman of this generation, still in the prime of his career with 7-8 elite years left. I'll go one further... Karlsson/Provorov would immediately become the best D pairing in the NHL, without question... and soon be the greatest pairing in Flyers history... surpassing the immortal Howe/McCrimmon duo.

If the Flyers have a legit chance of landing Erik Karlsson... Sanheim, Myers, even Gostisbehere, wouldn't be holding up a deal. Either would a Karlsson extension... Hextall would look to move money out the door to make it happen. Karlsson is a generational defenseman and will go down as the 3rd greatest offensive defenseman in NHL history when it's all said and done IMO. Era-adjusted, Karlsson has done prime Coffey type stuff.

I was saying on the Flyers board I’d move Ghost. No orange blinders here.

Reactions: Boxscore

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Thank goodness. I've even heard the "wouldn't trade Sanheim for him..." insanity lol.

Depending on what would have to be added to Sanheim, it could be wiser to move Ghost in that potential deal. Regardless, I think this is a deal the Flyers have built for.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Depending on what would have to be added to Sanheim, it could be wiser to move Ghost in that potential deal. Regardless, I think this is a deal the Flyers have built for.

The Flyers definitely have the pieces, the assets, to pull off a Karlsson trade. That said, I think the Sens would really like to trade him out West, unless a team in the East was willing to severely overpay.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
The Flyers definitely have the pieces, the assets, to pull off a Karlsson trade. That said, I think the Sens would really like to trade him out West, unless a team in the East was willing to severely overpay.

Possibly. I definitely don’t see them trading within the Atlantic.

Colorado could make a pretty good offer as well, but if I’m them I wouldn’t offer up Ottawa’s 1st. That may keep Ottawa from dealing with them.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Given Karlsson's smaller size, it would be better to trade Ghost, to play with Provorov in one of the league's best pairs, as was mentioned. That would leave Sanheim-Hagg and Morin-Myers down the road (in some configuration).

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Given Karlsson's smaller size, it would be better to trade Ghost, to play with Provorov in one of the league's best pairs, as was mentioned. That would leave Sanheim-Hagg and Morin-Myers down the road (in some configuration).

Yeah and that Hextall likely wouldn’t have to add 2-3 more assets like he would if it were Sanheim. I’d prefer to split up Provorov and Karlsson though. They could both play 30 minutes a game in a playoff series. If Morin hits, he’d be a good fit with EK.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
I would drop the first in a deal involving ghost for karlson. This year ghost improved his two way play to the point he can be trusted with top pair minutes. On top of his elite pp qb skills i could see his point totals going up with increased playing time. I don't know what thier even strength points per 60 averages are but the salary difference makes the upgrade seem marginal at best. Ghost at 4.5 mil for 5 years is one of the best contracts in the league while karlson as one of if not the best dmen in the league will undoubtedly be the highest paid commanding 10 to 12 million with the chance to bolt if he doesn't get it. If you can get karlson ya do it but my price in a deal involving ghost is ghost and rubstov or 14 and thats it

Reactions: duffy9748

IvanProvorov

Apr 26, 2016
I’d do it if Karlsson wasn’t going to get 10mil. I don’t want anyone in the league at that price.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I love Ghost but if Erik Karlsson is coming back in a trade then I'll drive him to the airport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->