Proposal: Karlsson to Philly

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Offering Ghost is an insane offer...Should not had happen. Rather wait and see who will we draft with our 2 picks this year and what will Sanheim, Morin, Myers and Hagg do next year.

but since Ryan is offered with Karlsson.. what are you expecting back?

Provorov, Karlsson and Ghost on the same team would be awesome.

I told you explicitly.. I DO NOT want Ryan packaged with Karlsson. I want to get a quality defenseman in return.

You can keep talking about development, how is that helping you against the Metro at this point??? Its been the same story for awhile...

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
It really isn't. Karlsson is much better than Ghost. Karlsson is arguably the best defenseman in the league.

I agree completely.

Multiple Norris trophies, still only 27, and the only defenseman capable of realistically scoring 85-90 points in a career year. Plus he's a RH defenseman, which the Flyers could surely use.

I'd love Hextall to trade for Karlsson and sign him to a 7 year extension. He's a whole level above Zubov and he was still very productive into his 30's.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I told you explicitly.. I DO NOT want Ryan packaged with Karlsson. I want to get a quality defenseman in return.

You can keep talking about development, how is that helping you against the Metro at this point??? Its been the same story for awhile...

Seeing as how none of the players involved in the trade fix the glaring holes we have (G, and bottom 6 Depth), development is a non issue.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
For funsies

PHI gets:
Erik Karlsson

OTT gets:
Shayne Ghostisbehere
2018 #14 pick
German Rubstov

Discuss.
Gotta tell ya, as much as I love Ghost, done in a heartbeat (assuming an extension is already worked out). We could certainly make the numbers work out for whatever EK is seeking

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I'll bet you just about anything that Ryan and Karlsson don't get traded together.

That would be a horrible decision by Ottawa to impose that restriction. How horrible?

Horrible enough that I wouldn't even consider the Ghostisbehere inclusion anymore. I don't want to trade the OP package for Karlsson anyway, but forcing Ryan into a deal is laughable for most teams. Karlsson's new salary + Ryan's = crap ton of cap.

I agree. If we HAD to take Ryan back in a deal for EK, I wouldn't do just Ghost straight up for the two of them. Just can't take on that kind of cap hell

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017

take your pick.. with exception of Provorov and Ghost...

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Well if Karlsson has asked for a trade, you can take Ghost off the table.

The sharks are in the water, y'all.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I think that's way too much.

Remove Frost and maybe it's close -- I still think it may be too much.
The Flyers aren't getting Karlsson for Sanheim and two firsts and I'm pretty baffled that you would consider that to be too much. Maybe it doesn't have to be Frost, but certainly a decent young piece like Ratcliffe, Lindblom, etc would have to be included. I don't need to run down Karlsson's resume and attributes because we all know them. Players like him so rarely become available so it's going to be a steep price, trade request or not.

Reactions: BernieParent

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The Flyers aren't getting Karlsson for Sanheim and two firsts and I'm pretty baffled that you would consider that to be too much. Maybe it doesn't have to be Frost, but certainly a decent young piece like Ratcliffe, Lindblom, etc would have to be included. I don't need to run down Karlsson's resume and attributes because we all know them. Players like him so rarely become available so it's going to be a steep price, trade request or not.

You're essentially offering Ottawa 4 first round picks for a guy 1 year away from FA who has publicly said he isn't discounting his next contract & he's currently (allegedly) asking for this trade. I can't remember the last time someone garnered what equated to 4 first round picks since the lockout.

Ottawa's bargaining power is not good. Would be bad asset management to hand over that much even for an elite Karlsson.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
You're essentially offering Ottawa 4 first round picks for a guy 1 year away from FA who has publicly said he isn't discounting his next contract & he's currently (allegedly) asking for this trade. I can't remember the last time someone garnered what equated to 4 first round picks since the lockout.

Ottawa's bargaining power is not good. Would be bad asset management to hand over that much even for an elite Karlsson.
I'm aware of what I am willing to offer up. We will see what happens but I will be shocked if it doesn't take 3 or 4 very high end assets to acquire Karlsson assuming taking back that awful Bobby Ryan contract isn't part of a deal. The Bargaining power thing for Ottawa is just wishful thinking. Him requesting a trade means he will get traded, it doesn't mean he's going to be had for 75 cents on the dollar. There will be SEVERAL teams and a bidding war over the next couple of weeks for his services.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007

Hextall would never move Sanheim, Frost, and two 1st rounders anyway. I think you’re undervaluing Sanheim here. Young defenseman like him are rarely moved and there aren’t many teams who could offer somebody like him up. One of Sanheim, Myers, or Ghost would absolutely have to be involved, but they wouldn’t need those 3 pieces attached.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Hextall would never move Sanheim, Frost, and two 1st rounders anyway. I think you’re undervaluing Sanheim here. Young defenseman like him are rarely moved and there aren’t many teams who could offer somebody like him up. One of Sanheim, Myers, or Ghost would absolutely have to be involved, but they wouldn’t need those 3 pieces attached.
I like Sanheim but he is still a prospect and relatively unproven at the NHL level. Unlike most I don't get overly attached to and carried away with the value of prospects versus established NHL players especially in the case of someone like Karlsson who is a top 10, possibly top 5 skate in the league.

You didn't answer totally my question though. What do yo think is an offer the Flyers could realistically put together to land Karlsson.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I like Sanheim but he is still a prospect and relatively unproven at the NHL level. Unlike most I don't get overly attached to and carried away with the value of prospects versus established NHL players especially in the case of someone like Karlsson who is a top 10, possibly top 5 skate in the league.

You didn't answer totally my question though. What do yo think is an offer the Flyers could realistically put together to land Karlsson.

I’m one of the few fans on our board who have said I have no issue moving Ghost. I don’t get attached to our own players.

I think there’s two ways they could go. One is offering Ghost. He’s a perfect fit for Ottawa. He’s on a great contract for 5 more years and replaces a lot of the offense that Karlsson provided. The extra piece may have to be 14 or 19 but I wouldn’t go past that unless it was 2nd/3rd round picks.

The other option is Sanheim/Myers+14/19+2019 1st+Forward prospect not named Frost.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I’m one of the few fans on our board who have said I have no issue moving Ghost. I don’t get attached to our own players.

I think there’s two ways they could go. One is offering Ghost. He’s a perfect fit for Ottawa. He’s on a great contract for 5 more years and replaces a lot of the offense that Karlsson provided. The extra piece may have to be 14 or 19 but I wouldn’t go past that unless it was 2nd/3rd round picks.

The other option is Sanheim/Myers+14/19+2019 1st+Forward prospect not named Frost.
So Sanheim or Myers, first in 2018, first in 2019, and say Isaac Ratcliffe? Something like that might get it done.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
For Karlsson, Sanheim +14 plus 19th plus Gudas?

Pronger type of trade... to Ducks Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid, 2007 1st-Rounder, 2008 1st-Rounder, 2008 2nd-Rounder
To Philly Lupul, defenseman, Sbisa, first-round picks in 2009 and 2010 and a conditional third-round pick in 2010 or 2011

Flyers D Karlsson, Provorov, Gostisbehere, Morin, Myers, Hagg

I do nto know.. I say we wait, Draft and get better through UFA. Target Tavares.

Last edited:

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Seeing as how none of the players involved in the trade fix the glaring holes we have (G, and bottom 6 Depth), development is a non issue.

So defense isn't a question mark. Tell me exactly what the GAA was against Pittsburgh in that playoff series??? Your defense and goaltending is suspect... Hasek can't bail everyone out.... although it is a nice thought. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad