Speculation: Karlsson the upcoming season

WhiteLight*

A good year is all you should ask of him.

40-60pts

He should focus on what he does best, which is to get the puck to the scorers. Beginning of last season he focused a lot on scoring himself, outshooting every single player in the NHL by a wide margin. Not saying it didn't pay off, if he didn't get injured he might have had as many goals as Ovechkin, if he kept shooting.

But it was all about him, it seemed forced! He shouldn't look for that type of attention, just play a simple two-way-game. Use his speed and crisp passing and he will do great, try forcing the play and he will have a bad year.

I hope he has a stellar year, it will be good for the Olympics.

But, 40pts minimum is still good. If he's back to his Norris form, 80-90 isn't unreachable.

That would be a bad year

IceBjoern

Feb 24, 2010
Stockholm
That would be a bad year

Not really, as long as he's playing good defensively. He hasn't established a standard yet. His Norris year was great, but he hasn't done that more than once. All I'm saying is, keep expectations low and let him surprise you in a positive way instead.

Asking for 70pts is not realistic.

40-60 is.

:)

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Not really, as long as he's playing good defensively. He hasn't established a standard yet. His Norris year was great, but he hasn't done that more than once. All I'm saying is, keep expectations low and let him surprise you in a positive way instead.

40-60 is.

Actually asking for 60 points would probably be keeping expectations low if he's fully healthy.

IceBjoern

Feb 24, 2010
Stockholm
Actually asking for 60 points would probably be keeping expectations low if he's fully healthy.

Mike Green scored 30 goals once, no one is expecting him to do that today. A lot of things has to click for any given player to have a super season. Granted, if Spezza and Ryan play their best game and Karlsson is there... Like I said, 80-90pts is not unreachable.

Just don't expect it from him.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Mike Green scored 30 goals once, no one is expecting him to do that today. A lot of things has to click for any given player to have a super season. Granted, if Spezza and Ryan play their best game and Karlsson is there... Like I said, 80-90pts is not unreachable.

30 goals and 60 points are two very different things coming from a defenseman.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I hope he stays healthy all yr & returns to his Norris form. I predict 70 pts, 25 goals & 45 assists.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Players have very productive years despite sustaining a similar quality of play. I am not convinced that Karlsson will be a consistent 78 point player after seeing him do it once. This team went from a wide open offensive system, to a defensive system, and now we don`t really know. I have a difficult time expecting Maclean to scrap what worked so well.

We went defensive because everyone and their mum became injured...

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lol, let's look at some analysis.

Karlsson comes back from Achilles tear in 2 months.

Records 4 points in 3 games.

Records 8 points in 10 playoff games.

P.S. He recorded 14 points in 17 games with 24th worst offense. Imagine what would it have been with a healthy Spezza and Ryan at the time.

Karlsson in his second year in the NHL records 45 points with the worst top pairing defender in the league(Kuba)

Now you're telling me that Karlsson will score 40 points? Lmaoooooooooooooo.

Heck his first year he was on pace to score more than 40. He is the best offensive defender bar none.

You have absolutely no way of justifying it. Even if Karlsson isn't 100% the major loss will come on the defensive end not the offensive. His offense would suffer but not crazily.

I'm expecting 80-90 points if he is back to normal.

60-65 points if he isn't 100%

If he gets 40 that means everyone on our top 6 got injured and Karlsson is suffering from schizophrenia.

Last edited:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus

He did that flanked by a peaked Backstrom, Ovechkin and Semin.

Last edited:

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
15 goals
60 assists
75 points

He might not be at the apex like he was to start last year, but he'll be extremely close, especially by the end of the year

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa

40-60 is.
Has he ever been on a 40 point pace except in his rookie season?

Karlsson shoots the puck too much to only get 40.

slaptown

Jul 23, 2013
If Karlsson isn't 100%, his defense will take a hit but because it isn't that great to begin with, if he only score 60ish goals, he will probably let in 70ish, leaving him in the minus range. I am hoping he is 100% more for his defense than his offense. Also, lets hope Big Mac pairs him with a shut down d man, like methot, that can make up for his crappy mistakes.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB

40-60 is.

You're right! Here, I've updated my projected stats.

Jason Spezza 1 GP 0G 0A -4 *
Milan Michalek 11GP 0G 1A -9 *
Cory Conacher 82GP 3G 13A -33
Erik Karlsson 4GP 2G 0A -11 *

Will update the rest later. * means career ending injury. NOW NO ONE CAN BE DISAPPOINTED BECAUSE WE EXPECT IT!

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

Will update the rest later. * means career ending injury. NOW NO ONE CAN BE DISAPPOINTED BECAUSE WE EXPECT IT!

you forgot about Anderson...

WhiteLight*

lolol

Seriously guys, enough with this low expectation crap. I know as fans we can't influence anything, but having low expectations is a losing mentality.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Is that even how expectations work?

Like do you have to subconsciously think Karlsson sucks to get a number of 40 points? I'm sorry, if Karlsson plays a full season and gets 40 points I will be pissed.

WhiteLight*

Is that even how expectations work?

Like do you have to subconsciously think Karlsson sucks to get a number of 40 points? I'm sorry, if Karlsson plays a full season and gets 40 points I will be pissed.

Seeing that stat line would be depressing. I need 70+ to be satisfied.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
20 goals 55 assists, 75 points. Leads league in total shots and is top 3 in TOI. Playing against the oppositions best players and driving possession.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad