Speculation: Karlsson the upcoming season

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I think 60 - 70, Norris finalist, Weber finally wins it though....

I also think Karlsson will take till about game 15 to get going...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I keep coming back to what Bieksa and Salo had said about similar injuries - and that it took almost a calendar year before they felt completely comfortable.

On the flip side, I'd like to think that Karlsson's youth and more recent advances in medical technology and rehab could accelerate that schedule a bit.

Not to mention, at least one of those injuries was a full rupture IIRC.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
25G 65A 90 Point season

Wins Gold,
Wins Cup,
Wins Norris
League top 10 Scoring

You heard it here first....

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
His offense suffers a little, but true for the most part.

He was still better defensively than Subban. Lol

Really now? Really? When you have bad goaltending it makes the defence look bad as well.

Lets be a bit classier and habs fans are recognize Subban played marginally better in comparison to our injured Swede. :sarcasm:

WhiteLight*

Really now? Really? When you have bad goaltending it makes the defence look bad as well.

Lets be a bit classier and habs fans are recognize Subban played marginally better in comparison to our injured Swede. :sarcasm:

I'm serious. How many glaring mistakes did Karlsson make? Not that many. He knew he was injured and played more conservatively. Subban on the other hand made many mistakes directly resulting in goals... Out of position, bad gap control, ...

Karlsson was totally fine in the playoffs. He was the Sens best D. He wasn't psycho good like we're used to seeing but he was fine.

SammyTheBull

Dec 1, 2005
I just hope he regains 100% of his form back. If he can do that and Spezza, and most of the team, remains healthy I predict we'll make the playoffs again and make it deep.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'm serious. How many glaring mistakes did Karlsson make? Not that many. He knew he was injured and played more conservatively. Subban on the other hand made many mistakes directly resulting in goals... Out of position, bad gap control, ...

Karlsson was totally fine in the playoffs. He was the Sens best D. He wasn't psycho good like we're used to seeing but he was fine.

Gotta disagree with you on that one. He had some great rebound games, but there were a few games where he was absolutely terrible. Just off the top of my head, some mistakes that directly resulted in goals: the White giveaway and when he let Crosby walk right past him.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Gotta disagree with you on that one. He had some great rebound games, but there were a few games where he was absolutely terrible. Just off the top of my head, some mistakes that directly resulted in goals: the White giveaway and when he let Crosby walk right past him.
Well you're not really disagreeing then. :laugh:. Made mistakes meaning he wasn't 'psycho good', wasn't really challenged vs the Habs so head to head vs Subban there wasn't much of a gap between the two, our best D in the playoffs still.

WhiteLight*

He wasn't good games 1 and 2 vs the Pens (then again who was). Other than that, he was fine. For the last 2 games of the Pens series, he and Methot were the only D-men who could be trusted on the ice.

The White giveaway is overblown. First, that's a play he easily makes when 100% and playing at a faster pace (a case of not adjusting to his slower speed). 2nd, White did a GREAT job knocking that out of the air. 3rd, Anderson could have stopped that one.

canucksPK

May 9, 2011
Okanagan BC
I'd be shocked if he put up less than 90 points. With Bobby Ryan, Zibanejad, and Conacher all pegged for huge seasons, Ottawas overall offense is going to skyrocket, and as a result, Karlsson is going to have a huge year. Not to mention he's only improving, his 78 point season was only his third season, it would be unreasonable to expect he does worst than that, barring he's healthy.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006

Uhh, no... he wasn't. :help:

Against Pittsburgh, he was awful for his standards. Against Montreal, he was alright but nothing special... which is remarkable because he was on ice for 2 goals against (in total) and had 6 points in 5 games. :laugh:

WhiteLight*

I'd be shocked if he put up less than 90 points. With Bobby Ryan, Zibanejad, and Conacher all pegged for huge seasons, Ottawas overall offense is going to skyrocket, and as a result, Karlsson is going to have a huge year. Not to mention he's only improving, his 78 point season was only his third season, it would be unreasonable to expect he does worst than that, barring he's healthy.

I love your enthusiasm. That might be a little much though.

But it is shocking at how many 50 point predictions there are in this thread. Have you guys ever seen him play? 100% or not, he's getting over 50 in a full season.

WhiteLight*

Uhh, no... he wasn't. :help:

Against Pittsburgh, he was awful for his standards. Against Montreal, he was alright but nothing special... which is remarkable because he was on ice for 2 goals against (in total) and had 6 points in 5 games. :laugh:

He was awful in Games 1 and 2 vs Pitts. That's it. He was absolutely fine the rest of the way.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
His statistical line for the year could be pretty gaudy if Michalek is healthy and Ryan hits his stride. Those two are deadly in transition and if he's hitting them with great breakouts, he's gonna put up top 3-5 type assist numbers. I also think he could score 20 with relative ease. I'm kinda of expecting PPG if he's fully healed and conditioned.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I love your enthusiasm. That might be a little much though.

But it is shocking at how many 50 point predictions there are in this thread. Have you guys ever seen him play? 100% or not, he's getting over 50 in a full season.

I just like to temper my expectations

That way I'm extra happy if he exceeds them and I think him hitting 50 is, like you said, a very safe bet

That being said, like Nyquil said, players who have suffered similar injuries said that it takes about a full year before they were back at 100%. I think anyone expecting him to be able to sustain full throttle out of the gate is going to be disappointed: he'll probably be as good as can be in the first ten games or so, then I expect him to feel the effect of the injury and slow down a bit until he gets over it for good

WhiteLight*

Agreed with FQL

I just can't believe people are doubting him. All he does is surpass people's expectations all the time. I guess he'll have to do that again.

The way he plays... his skill level... he's just not a 50 point d-man. Pietrangelo is a 50 point d-man. Weber is. Karlsson >>> them offensively. For Karlsson to score 50-60 points, he'd have to play worse than he did down the stretch and into the playoffs. That's just not happening guys, get real.

In 2010-11, before his big breakout, he had 45 in 75 games on a ridiculously low scoring team. People calling 50-60 points are basically saying he'll have his worst offensive season since his rookie year. Come on people.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Just in the recent discussion, in my humble opinion Marc Methot was the best Sens d-man in the playoffs.

Karlsson was good, and I hope he gets back close to how he felt at the beginning of last year, but that's just how I saw it.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Just in the recent discussion, in my humble opinion Marc Methot was the best Sens d-man in the playoffs.

Karlsson was good, and I hope he gets back close to how he felt at the beginning of last year, but that's just how I saw it.

Oh, for sure. :nod:

WhiteLight*

Close, but naw.

If it was the case, Methot would have led the team in ice time, not Karlsson

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010

Agreed, Methot was fantastic in the playoffs. Even against the pens he was playing almost mistake free hockey against the best in the world. He also was surprisingly good offensively versus the Habs.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Agreed, Methot was fantastic in the playoffs. Even against the pens he was playing almost mistake free hockey against the best in the world. He also was surprisingly good offensively versus the Habs.

Agreed. Karlsson was a shell of his usual self against the Pens.

IceBjoern

Feb 24, 2010
Stockholm
A good year is all you should ask of him.

40-60pts

He should focus on what he does best, which is to get the puck to the scorers. Beginning of last season he focused a lot on scoring himself, outshooting every single player in the NHL by a wide margin. Not saying it didn't pay off, if he didn't get injured he might have had as many goals as Ovechkin, if he kept shooting.

But it was all about him, it seemed forced! He shouldn't look for that type of attention, just play a simple two-way-game. Use his speed and crisp passing and he will do great, try forcing the play and he will have a bad year.

I hope he has a stellar year, it will be good for the Olympics.

But, 40pts minimum is still good. If he's back to his Norris form, 80-90 isn't unreachable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad