Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Part III | MOD Warning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'd be surprised if we have new jerseys, because I don't think there was any mention of that in the catalogue that goes out to retailers. I don't know, maybe someone like @BonkTastic who knows more about the process can comment on how likely it would be that there are new home/away jerseys and retailers simply don't know that's what they are ordering.....

Barring the most monumental eff-up in retail history, that spans across multiple departments, across multiple levels of management, within multiple organizations, at almost every level, at a severity that would have multiple people fired immediately for gross negligence... The chances are effectively zero percent.

We aren't getting new jerseys this year. Period. It's not happening.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
So why do we keep Duchene and Stone, but get rid of EK?
Because he wants more money than this team can afford & much more than the other two. Stone is younger & they just got Duchene & EK is still recovering from an injury which he may or may not recover completely from & return to 100%. He has had a tough yr in Ottawa this pass season & maybe he could use a change of scenery after everything he has been through. I also think he would bring back a decent return to help with the rebuild.

They could probably keep all three although I'm not sure EM could afford it, just not sure they will. Would you prefer to get rid of one of the other two rather than EK if they had to move one of the three? I was hoping for a change of ownership that would fix a bunch of problems but since that doesn't seem likely & EK seems to have turned down 8 yrs @ $10 mil, I can only assume he is on the block before training camp. I would rather get as much as we can as soon as we can rather than go through most of the season listening to the media constantly bring up the subject of him leaving sooner or later. Do you think he will stay & sign here for less than what he could get elsewhere?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If find it really weird that people are more passionate about the jersey style than who the team puts in the jerseys, but that's just me I guess and I don't simply cheer for laundry and prefer to care about the players.

You got me. I watch hockey for the FASHION.

Consequently, I watch project runway for the competitive sport aspects.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Because he wants more money than this team can afford & much more than the other two.

Well we have info that suggests EK won't sign an approx 11M offer from Eugene (possibly because of lockout/bonus money)

What do you see as the gap in terms of $ between EK and the other two?
Stone is younger & they just got Duchene

Stone is two years younger.
Duchene is one year younger.

Which player of the three do you see as being the most effective over the next 8 years?

& EK is still recovering from an injury which he may or may not recover completely from & return to 100%.
EK is now fully recovered and had already returned to an excellent level of play in 2018, even when not 100% recovered.

He has had a tough yr in Ottawa this pass season & maybe he could use a change of scenery after everything he has been through. I also think he would bring back a decent return to help with the rebuild.
Alfie and Claesson are both on record stating that EK would prefer to stay in Ottawa. Considering they are far more likely to know what Erik is thinking, then I think your concerns are misplaced.
All three are good assets that could be traded for a return that would help with the rebuild.

They could probably keep all three although I'm not sure EM could afford it, just not sure they will. Would you prefer to get rid of one of the other two rather than EK if they had to move one of the three? I was hoping for a change of ownership that would fix a bunch of problems but since that doesn't seem likely & EK seems to have turned down 8 yrs @ $10 mil, I can only assume he is on the block before training camp. I would rather get as much as we can as soon as we can rather than go through most of the season listening to the media constantly bring up the subject of him leaving sooner or later.
I'd prefer we get rid of both Stone and Duchene before losing our generational Dman and best player in team history. I really like the Mark's, but Stars are far easier to replace than Superstars.

If we have to trade away one, EK and Duchene should stay and Stone should go. Far more important to have a #1D and #1C than a winger.

I could care less about the media and would like EK to stay here until the last second before the TDL to allow more time for a change in ownership to occur. To want to move EK now because of the media is insanity in my opinion.

Do you think he will stay & sign here for less than what he could get elsewhere?
Not for Eugene. And he should get market value from the new ownership group. You don't nickle and dime your franchise players. The fact that EK signing is even up for consideration is a massive black eye embarrassment for our franchise.

Reactions: Yak and Chezzz

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You got me. I watch hockey for the FASHION.

Consequently, I watch project runway for the competitive sport aspects.
I phrased my objection poorly, sorry.

Just in my opinion (and well aware that many people feel differently) Jersey design is a 1 out of 10.

The fact that we even have a thread discussing trading away EK is a 10 out of 10. It is a massive embarrassment to our team that he wasn't signed to an 8 year extension at the first possible opportunity and many fans simply seem to have resigned themselves to this insanity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chezzz

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The fact that we even have a thread discussing trading away EK is a 10 out of 10. It is a massive embarrassment to our team that he wasn't signed to an 8 year extension at the first possible opportunity and many fans simply seem to have resigned themselves to this insanity.

It's not the first time.

We let Chara leave too.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
It's not the first time.

We let Chara leave too.
Loved Chara and was adamant that we should have moved Redden instead.

EK is better and means more to this franchise than Chara ever did. Zedno was never considered a top 3 player in the NHL when playing for the Sens.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Loved Chara and was adamant that we should have moved Redden instead.

It was a tough choice at the time.

I was never a big fan of Redden but I do understand the rationale, even if it was wrong in hindsight.

As it turns out, Chara may have wanted to leave anyway.

EK is better and means more to this franchise than Chara ever did. Zedno was never considered a top 3 player in the NHL when playing for the Sens.

No, but he was considered one of the top 3 defencemen in the NHL at the time, which is why he got the league maximum for 5 years from the Bruins, which was the largest possible contract allowable at the time.

It's embarrassing nonetheless.

At least we have company with the Islanders failing to re-sign their superstar. It's pretty rare these days.

Reactions: Senator Blutarsky

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
It was a tough choice at the time.

I was never a big fan of Redden but I do understand the rationale, even if it was wrong in hindsight.

As it turns out, Chara may have wanted to leave anyway.

Ya, I think the Hossa backstab sealed that situation.

No, but he was considered one of the top 3 defencemen in the NHL at the time, which is why he got the league maximum for 5 years from the Bruins, which was the largest possible contract allowable at the time.

It's embarrassing nonetheless.

At least we have company with the Islanders failing to re-sign their superstar. It's pretty rare these days.

I feel a great deal of empathy for Isles fans lately...

I do believe there Tavares blunder means that we won't let any of the top 3 UFA's go past the deadline...especially Karlsson.

PS Great to have you posting on this forum again. I've been following this board for years and you have always been someone I enjoyed reading.

Reactions: NyQuil

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well we have info that suggests EK won't sign an approx 11M offer from Eugene (possibly because of lockout/bonus money)

What do you see as the gap in terms of $ between EK and the other two?

Stone is two years younger.
Duchene is one year younger.

Which player of the three do you see as being the most effective over the next 8 years?

EK is now fully recovered and had already returned to an excellent level of play in 2018, even when not 100% recovered.

Alfie and Claesson are both on record stating that EK would prefer to stay in Ottawa. Considering they are far more likely to know what Erik is thinking, then I think your concerns are misplaced.
All three are good assets that could be traded for a return that would help with the rebuild.

I'd prefer we get rid of both Stone and Duchene before losing our generational Dman and best player in team history. I really like the Mark's, but Stars are far easier to replace than Superstars.

If we have to trade away one, EK and Duchene should stay and Stone should go. Far more important to have a #1D and #1C than a winger.

I could care less about the media and would like EK to stay here until the last second before the TDL to allow more time for a change in ownership to occur. To want to move EK now because of the media is insanity in my opinion.

Not for Eugene. And he should get market value from the new ownership group. You don't nickle and dime your franchise players. The fact that EK signing is even up for consideration is a massive black eye embarrassment for our franchise.

I guess we disagree again. I just don't think this franchise can afford a $12 mil player & would prefer that they spend that money elsewhere maybe by adding two very good $6 mil players & improve two positions. I also don't see the point of having a $12 mil player on your team if the team isn't going to be good enough to make the playoffs. It doesn't seem to be selling any more tickets with EK on the team although that may have a lot more to do with the dickhead owner.

And finally, if they are rebuilding & it seems they are, although they have yet to admit it publicly I think, then adding to their prospect pool by trading EK for the most & best assets they can should go a long way in rebuilding faster & with a better bunch of youngsters. I think Stone & Duchene will be the two new faces for this franchise moving forward, I just don't see this owner paying one player that much money & I doubt he cares what people think about it.

You seem to still think this owner is going to sell the team still but as every day passes that seems less likely to me unfortunately, but you never know. Sadly, I'm looking forward to the rookie tournament more than the start of the yr. Enjoy your day.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I guess we disagree again. I just don't think this franchise can afford a $12 mil player & would prefer that they spend that money elsewhere maybe by adding two very good $6 mil players & improve two positions. I also don't see the point of having a $12 mil player on your team if the team isn't going to be good enough to make the playoffs. It doesn't seem to be selling any more tickets with EK on the team although that may have a lot more to do with the ******** owner.
I don't think the team can afford to not sign EK. If they think ticket sales were an issue before, just wait and see what it looks like without EK (and on a deal they likely lose by a landslide) It is no coincidence the MelnykOUT movement took flight when EK was put on the trading block and no coincidence that the STH's grilled PD and EM about his signing.

EK sells tickets. There isn't another 3 Sens combined that have as much impact at the box office.

And finally, if they are rebuilding & it seems they are, although they have yet to admit it publicly I think, then adding to their prospect pool by trading EK for the most & best assets they can should go a long way in rebuilding faster & with a better bunch of youngsters. I think Stone & Duchene will be the two new faces for this franchise moving forward, I just don't see this owner paying one player that much money & I doubt he cares what people think about it.
Well you didn't tell me how much you think Stone and Duchene will get or how much you think they would be worth in a trade?

Do you see the difference between Stone at 8M and EK at 11M (both with bonus structure) as making up for the massive gap in their talent level?

You seem to still think this owner is going to sell the team still but as every day passes that seems less likely to me unfortunately, but you never know. Sadly, I'm looking forward to the rookie tournament more than the start of the yr. Enjoy your day.

Fingers crossed and thanks for explaining your POV.

Reactions: NyQuil

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

Shea Theodore
Ryan Suzuki
Erik Brannstrom
2019 1st.

Get it done, they can keep Glass.

That would be actually a great deal.

Over time if these prospects pan out.

Dzingel - Duchene - White
Tkachuk - Suzuki - Stone
Formenton - Brown - Batherson
Chlapik -Pageau - McCormick

Chabot - Theodore
Wolanin - Brannstrom
Boro - Jaros

Reactions: Clayonator

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
So other than the Friedman tweet when he got back from vacation, have there been any more rumours recently by the regulars?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So other than the Friedman tweet when he got back from vacation, have there been any more rumours recently by the regulars?

With how wrong insiders have been on stuff like Karlsson and ROR's signing bonus and July 1st who cares what they say?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
With how wrong insiders have been on stuff like Karlsson and ROR's signing bonus and July 1st who cares what they say?

Especially in regards to us. With the fact that NOTHING is coming out of the organization, I don't believe for a second that anyone is leaking anything out the back door to the media, especially non-Sens linked media folks who have been frenzying for months over our misfortunes.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Would much rather have those Vegas pieces than what Tampa Bay would offer. Dallas doesn’t entice me at all if Heiskanen is off the table.

Couldn’t agree more, especially if the main piece is Callan Foote as previously rumoured. Also, keep Honka the eff away from me unless he’s an add on to Heiskanen.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Couldn’t agree more, especially if the main piece is Callan Foote as previously rumoured. Also, keep Honka the eff away from me unless he’s an add on to Heiskanen.
Vegas could even send David Clarkson our way too. Melnyk would love to have him count against our cap and not have to pay him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad