Confirmed with Link: Karlsson mega thread vol 6: five stages of grief edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
It's possible, but if Karlsson really wants to play for a contender long term, I don't think San Jose is the healthiest choice. In the short term they could win they cup, but I don't think they have the team structure to maintain being a contender for much longer.

The Sharks have 29 million tied up in Kane, Couture, Burns, and Vlasic. When Karl extends, Burns will be 34, Vlasic 32, Couture 30. Pavelski and Thornton are getting long in the tooth (more so Thornton), and Evander Kane might have trouble living up to his contract considering he's been inconsistent both on and off the ice thus far in his career.

The Sharks are a team who without Karlsson, a few years from now should be entering a rebuild, but probably won't be able to because they will have so much money tied up in declining players with signing bonuses and trade protection. They'll never be terrible, but I think they'll be far from a contender.

If Karlsson has the chance to go to Tampa Bay, where the taxes allow him to sign for less and get the same take home pay as he would in California, I could see why he holds out for that supposed "preferred destination".

People have been saying the Sharks window will be over for years now... Doug Wilson just trades for new stars and the Sharks scouts pluck talent from Europe for new depth

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
People have been saying the Sharks window will be over for years now... Doug Wilson just trades for new stars and the Sharks scouts pluck talent from Europe for new depth

The NHL is littered with unqualified buffoon GMs like Pierre Dorion, good GMs will always find a way totake advantage of them like Wilson has done to Dorion twice in the past 3 months.

Reactions: SensHulk

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I live down the street from SAP center, can literally see it from my window. I truly hope I can run into him in downtown one day and get the full scoop

Ask him not to sign any deal with the snake oil salesman, Doug The Shark Wilson. Prospective new ownership, Alfie, Phillips, and Leeder aside - the fans are 100% waiting for the King's return in July 2019.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Buffalo got more from O'Rielly.

O'Rielly still has five more complete seasons remaining on his contract ........ EK65 only has one.

That's why O'Rielly brought back what he did.

you're comparing a watermelon to an orange contractually.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
O'Rielly still has five more complete seasons remaining on his contract ........ EK65 only has one.

That's why O'Rielly brought back what he did.

you're comparing a watermelon to an orange contractually.

Again you know nothing.

Look over there, there is someone saying bad things about Melnyk. go boy go, go get some help.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Again you know nothing.

Look over there, there is someone saying bad things about Melnyk. go boy go, go get some help.

Sorry again, but someone had to point out that trading Ryan O'Rielly, with 5 years left on his contract .... is no where near a fair comparison with trading EK65 with 1 year left on his contract ...... was an absurd comparison.

If you continue to make these types of comparisons, without thinking them though, then you're going to have to expect someone to ask for clarification, or point out the shortcomings in your logic.

But, please ......... explain why EK65 with one year should have brought back more that O'Rielly with 5 years ....... we're waiting.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
So you're saying that instead of trading him at the deadline, when they would a gotten their best return ....... they decided to play Charades with the fanbase, for the spring and summer, and trade him on the first day of training camp, so they could have locked in a few more Season tickets.

No. I'm saying they had decided to trade him prior to offering him the contract extension. Why didn't they trade him? I think Dorion was underwhelmed by the offers and got cold feet knowing if this trade went sideways it would define him for the rest of his career. I think he expected better offers to materialize around the draft and when they didn't, he got into a bit of a cold war with rival GM's who were looking to pry Karl away for a song. Then, after months of waiting his impulsive owner imposed a deadline (start of camp) and he was forced to trade him for a disappointing return.

Everyone one already knew back in November, when EK65 said he was only going to accepts his full market value, whenever and wherever he signed a new contract. We all knew, including the owner and the GM, that they could not afford, or want to pay him full market value ......... so why not trade him at the deadline, if they made that decision prior to the TDL?

Why go through the motions of offering an extension, and then trade him when they did? It makes no sense if they knew he was not going to sign, or accept whatever they could afford to offer him?

I mean, the obvious answer is that they had just traded for Duchene and were completely blindsided by the team's performance. Management's actions said, "we're all in," while the team's performance said, "we need to rebuild." I don't think they anticipated things going sideways with Karl as fast as they did, and as a result it took them a while to figure out a plan.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Bryan Murray made some bad decisions in his career as Sens GM, but it's honestly surprising that he accomplished anything considering the state of the team since he passed and how apparent Melnyk's meddling and toxic influence is now that there's no one with the cajones to keep him in check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad