Confirmed with Link: Karlsson mega thread vol 6: five stages of grief edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I expect a full-court press from the Sharks to get him re-signed, and their batting average is pretty good. Plus, as someone who travels to Palo Alto a lot for work, if you're a multi-millionaire, there aren't many better places to live.

But maybe Alfie's whispering in his ear about that upcoming ownership change!! Hold out for that 1% chance!!

Meh, the Palo Alto area has nice weather but I found it incredibly dull. Ottawa has far more things to do, and that's saying something. Sure San Francisco is just down the road, but so is Montreal from here.

Playing for a competent team with competent ownership however...that's the real ace in the hole for the Sharks.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
So I guess he wasn't shocked. So I guess he could imagine it happening seeming as he knew he was being traded days before. Meeting his new coach and all.

He could have just said that he knew something was up and met with San Jose prior to the trade instead of the deer caught in the headlights act.

Gotta say, I feel a little off about this.

Doesn't excuse the trade or anything like that, just, I don't know if someone can understand the sentiment that I am describing. It's not "lied to", but something bugs me about this.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
What's better for the Senators? If you have to choose one of these scenarios today without knowing how well SJS does in the playoffs, which do you choose?

Karl doesn't re-sign, Sens get SJS unprotected 2020 1st, they don't have Karl, and their core is a year older.

Karl signs, Ottawa gets a 2020 1st+additional 2nd with a long shot at it becoming a 1st if SJS make the cup final.

Separate this from the if he doesn't sign he might come back fantasy. Don't factor that in.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
What's better for the Senators? If you have to choose one of these scenarios today without knowing how well SJS does in the playoffs, which do you choose?

Karl doesn't re-sign, Sens get SJS unprotected 2020 1st, they don't have Karl, and their core is a year older.

Karl signs, Ottawa gets a 2020 1st+additional 2nd with a long shot at it becoming a 1st if SJS make the cup final.

Separate this from the if he doesn't sign he might come back fantasy. Don't factor that in.

Option 2, if EK isn't coming back to Ottawa in any scenario.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
So I guess he wasn't shocked. So I guess he could imagine it happening seeming as he knew he was being traded days before. Meeting his new coach and all.

He could have just said that he knew something was up and met with San Jose prior to the trade instead of the deer caught in the headlights act.

Doesn't excuse the trade or anything like that, just, I don't know if someone can understand the sentiment that I am describing. It's not "lied to", but something bugs me about this.

It feels a bit like the Gretzky trade where he was a blubbering mess at the Edmonton podium and all smiles in Los Angeles. I have no doubt that the emotion was authentic in the moment, but there's no way EK was totally blindsided by his new San Jose address.

Reactions: coladin

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

I'm sure he knew it was coming - it's not like he's been in the dark to what we've all been hearing since February. We all were pretty sure a trade was coming since then and it still hit a lot of us like a house of bricks. He was probably going through the process of reality setting in during that whole time and that presser was clearly emotional for him.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's like trying to have kids, or a terminally ill family member or friend... you know it's coming, but it can still be a shock when the final word comes down. This stuff hits you in stages.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Karlsson again says "that was their decision" about leaving Ottawa.

"We're going to keep our house in Ottawa."

So you're saying there's a chance...

Last edited:
Reactions: Icelevel

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Under Melnyk as owner, Karlsson is not coming anywhere near this franchise.

With #MelnykOut? There is that possibility.

Melnyk needs to go.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

When he said that "they made their plan and I wasn't a part of it," he said he knew it was coming.

I don't think he meant "shocked" as in surprised it happened. I think he was shocked that after 9 years in Ottawa, the situation ended up coming to this.

I have no doubt that in his mind, he was going to retire here and watch 65 go up to the rafters next to his best man Alfredsson. Didn't turn out that way. That's what's shocking, even for fans.

Last edited:

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
That press conference was painful to listen to, still can't believe that EK is no longer a part of our team.

f*** Eugene Melnyk and Pierre Dorion

Reactions: SenatorKarlsson

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The interesting fact that came out on the TSN panel tonight from Lebrun is that if Erik wants an 8 year deal he can't sign until after the TDL this season.

He can re-up for 7 years at any point.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
The interesting fact that came out on the TSN panel tonight from Lebrun is that if Erik wants an 8 year deal he can't sign until after the TDL this season.

He can re-up for 7 years at any point.

I can't see him re-signing this season. Why would he? The only reason would be for security against an injury, but that risk isn't all that high.

I think he's looking forward to getting the Tavares treatment and seeing what's out there. Even if he does that he can still go back to San Jose and sign for 8 years, and I'm sure they'll be in the mix. Maybe with a new owner, we will as well. We'll see.

I know for a fact that he's always been fascinated by playing for the Rangers in NYC. What if the Rangers end up with the #1 pick, draft Hughes and go after Karlsson and Panarin to complete a quick turnaround? They'll have the cap space, and I think Erik will want to leave those type of scenarios open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad