Friedman: Karlsson IS Willing to Extend in Canada

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If those firsts are unprotected... dunno, it is the Oilers, somehow with two generational talents they’d find a way to bottom out.
If we had both Mcdavid and Karlsson on the team along with Drai, Nuge, Klefbom etc and we still were shit, Id stop being an Oilers fan. For about 2 days lol, cant have no hockey longer than that.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Nylander, 1st, Sandin for EK
Even if Dubas added to that offer, I think Melnyk turns it down. No way in hell he's trading us arguably the best dman in the league and face of the franchise. Melnyk absolutely hates the Leafs, almost an irrational hate. I honestly believe he'd rather trade him anywhere else for nothing than trading him to Toronto for a big haul. Plus you'd have to think it would make the Leafs instant cup favorites. The last thing the senators and their fans want is watching EK hoisting the cup with a Leafs jersey on.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
If we had both Mcdavid and Karlsson on the team along with Drai, Nuge, Klefbom etc and we still were ****, Id stop being an Oilers fan. For about 2 days lol, cant have no hockey longer than that.
Eh, those Oilers teams from years ago had plenty of talent. The problem was always that they had zero depth. They didn't have Mcdavid and EK but even if they did, you still need to draft and develop. The scouting beyond the first round for years was probably the worst in the league.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Even if Dubas added to that offer, I think Melnyk turns it down. No way in hell he's trading us arguably the best dman in the league and face of the franchise. Melnyk absolutely hates the Leafs, almost an irrational hate. I honestly believe he'd rather trade him anywhere else for nothing than trading him to Toronto for a big haul. Plus you'd have to think it would make the Leafs instant cup favorites. The last thing the senators and their fans want is watching EK hoisting the cup with a Leafs jersey on.
Doubt very much Melnyk cares that much or he wouldnt have taken Phaneuf in any trade either. Not suggesting the offer is the best he could get but if the Leafs give him the best offer and especially the cheapest in terms of money vs potential he will do it.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Because maybe its not a ****ty Org...The owner well....yes but the team and city not really

Well, an ex-teammate's wife harrassed him and his wife and shit on their dead baby. And the fans didn't come support them during one of their playoff games in rd 2, that doesn't exactly yell loyalty (and yes, I know...the arena is really really far). And the team is also on a downward spiral without a lottery pick next year to add talent.

Let's just say the last calendar year hasn't been kind to him...he probably wants to bolt asap.

But city of Ottawa itself is beautiful, so that's something positive.

IceBjoern

Feb 24, 2010
Stockholm
All I’m reading into this is that Karlsson is willing to sign long term with... OTTAWA! No reason he would want to go to Calgary, Vancouver or Oilers... not a chance he’d sign with Montreal and doubtful that Ottawa would trade him to Toronto.

Winnipeg could barely afford him. In my view it’s eother Tampa or Ottawa..

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Doubt very much Melnyk cares that much or he wouldnt have taken Phaneuf in any trade either. Not suggesting the offer is the best he could get but if the Leafs give him the best offer and especially the cheapest in terms of money vs potential he will do it.
The Phaneuf trade was a solid get by Ottawa. They got to dump a bunch of salary and contracts in that deal too so it made sense. I doubt they ever planned on keeping Dion around long-term. Part of any trade for EK is that would Melnyk even take a Nylander back as the main piece? He's going to make $6 million or so a year. If Melnyk wouldn't ante up for EK, I can't see him doing it for a Nylander or a similar young player about to get paid. I think it's going to be a bunch of picks and ELC prospects who are years away from raises.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
All I’m reading into this is that Karlsson is willing to sign long term with... OTTAWA! No reason he would want to go to Calgary, Vancouver or Oilers... not a chance he’d sign with Montreal and doubtful that Ottawa would trade him to Toronto.

Winnipeg could barely afford him. In my view it’s eother Tampa or Ottawa..
It seems like the writing is on the wall that EK won't be a Senator for much longer. I hate to say it as Sens fans deserve better then the clown who owns the team and will continue to evolve in Harold Ballard.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
The Phaneuf trade was a solid get by Ottawa. They got to dump a bunch of salary and contracts in that deal too so it made sense. I doubt they ever planned on keeping Dion around long-term. Part of any trade for EK is that would Melnyk even take a Nylander back as the main piece? He's going to make $6 million or so a year. If Melnyk wouldn't ante up for EK, I can't see him doing it for a Nylander or a similar young player about to get paid. I think it's going to be a bunch of picks and ELC prospects who are years away from raises.

Oh I agree I just disagree that Melnyk won't trade with the Leafs. If he gets the best offer from Toronto he will take it. And by best off as I said it will have to be cost controlled players who have a lot of potential. 6 million is a far cry from what EK is asking I'm sure. If he could get Nylander, Sandin/Lil and one or two firsts I think he does it.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Oh I agree I just disagree that Melnyk won't trade with the Leafs. If he gets the best offer from Toronto he will take it. And by best off as I said it will have to be cost controlled players who have a lot of potential. 6 million is a far cry from what EK is asking I'm sure. If he could get Nylander, Sandin/Lil and one or two firsts I think he does it.
I'm not at all trying to compare the salaries of Nylander and EK as EK easily makes way more. Just more about the penny pinching ways of Melnyk and how he'd rather have a deal centered around a much cheaper prospect years away from demanding a high salary. I think if Ottawa was offered slightly less by another team, he would prefer that deal. Melnyk really, really hates the Leafs.

Reactions: TheDoldrums

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I'm not at all trying to compare the salaries of Nylander and EK as EK easily makes way more. Just more about the penny pinching ways of Melnyk and how he'd rather have a deal centered around a much cheaper prospect years away from demanding a high salary. I think if Ottawa was offered slightly less by another team, he would prefer that deal. Melnyk really, really hates the Leafs.

I'm with you. Leafs fans already flood the arena in Ottawa. Imagine them wearing Karlsson jerseys and watching the best player in Sens history destroy his old team to thunderous applause in Ottawa. There will be other comparable offers put there, I agree Melnyk is petty enough to reject the Leafs.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
As a Oilers fan I'd have to say, I wouldn't take Karlsson at this point in time. The cost would be tremendous. The Oilers can't afford to mortgage their future to acquire him. I think the cost would probably make us a worse team and the Oilers can't be doing another rebuild again.

If by chance he hits the open market then maybe a push to sign him would be prudent. But trading picks and prospects mainly wouldn't be smart.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Ok. I now have to take you seriously?
Listen. He will not be extended when he is traded.
He isn't even the best Dman in the league, let alone all time. That is a joke.
Who in the league would pay a comparable price to Marner and Nylander for the privledge of paying $11MM to a guy who honest played like crap last year? He is good but he doesn't walk on water and he doesn't replace 130 points a year from two guys who have yet to see their peak.
Please spare my the sanctimony when I was joking. Your comment are comical and you meant to be serious
He is definitely the best Dman when healthy, that’s just talking out of your ass lol. He would never go to Tor anyways. Would need to be Nyl and Mar plus. They would make Tor overpay like hell

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If that is the case IMHO IF IF IF Ottawa is willing, I'd REALLY like to see Toronto touch base here.

Nylander+ for EK if he is willing to resign in Toronto.

Hes the absolute perfect RD they are looking for.

They'd be a ****ing powerhouse.

That's really good value.

As a hockey fan, I would love to see what McDavid could do with EK, and what EK could do with McDavid.

Make it happen Chiarelli.

Only way Edmonton could fit a resigned Karlson under the cap is if Drai is going the other way and if that's happening then Hopkins is going back to the 2nd line spot... and if that's happening... gulp ... we will probably have a the most questionable group of wingers in franchise history.

No way Yamma doesn't make the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad