Friedman: Karlsson IS Willing to Extend in Canada

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
There is no single reason. He wants to leave for many reasons. Literally no one but Sens fans think he is staying. Why would he unless this season the team rebounds and the Owner sells the team?
Its was more a reply to a petty statement,saying we dont support our players ,is exactly that

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
Give me your superstar, Ottawa!
Nurse+Nuge+Yamamoto +2019 1st
For EK extended+Dzingel
You get a beast of a dman who is hitting his stride, the Nuge, who is versatile, defensively responsible and offensively gifted, a bona fide prospect who plays the way the game is going(speedy, elusive and skilled) and the the 31st overall next year, because we win the cup!

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
Give me your superstar, Ottawa!
Nurse+Nuge+Yamamoto +2019 1st
For EK extended+Dzingel
You get a beast of a dman who is hitting his stride, the Nuge, who is versatile, defensively responsible and offensively gifted, a bona fide prospect who plays the way the game is going(speedy, elusive and skilled) and the the 31st overall next year, because we win the cup!

Hard no on that one.

You are getting one of the best players in the game and a twenty goal scorer.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Hockey News had an article about the trade. If you believe they only trade to the western conference (typical but no longer as guaranteed as it once was) and believe in "follow the money", which Western team has the cap space to sign him? NH says Vegas and Dallas. Sharks and TB in the east would have to pull more shenanigans to fit him under the cap.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Nice.....You think he wants to leave because we dont support him....

No, I said support "them" being the team, not Karlsson specifically.

Nice of you to just completely ignore the rest of my post just to nitpick something specific (and be wrong about that too).

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
No, I said support "them" being the team, not Karlsson specifically.

Nice of you to just completely ignore the rest of my post just to nitpick something specific (and be wrong about that too).
Why say it though ???Ottawa has supported their team ,you seem to be the one nitpicking ..And just in general piling on

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well that and I doubt Toronto fans would relish the idea of having to give up Nylander/Marner ++ for an extended Karlsson.

They dont want to upgrade a player dramatically? Seems like a strange strategy to me especially they are full of scoring forwards and lack D.
The amount of garbage coming from the media in regards to Karlsson is pathetic. No one knows anything just constantly making things up to get hits.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Why say it though ???Ottawa has supported their team ,you seem to be the one nitpicking ..And just in general piling on

Ottawa has a weak hockey fanbase, the team itself is failing, the owner and GM are awful, and him and his wife were alienated in the past year by a former teammate.

That's the point I was trying to make, the owner doesn't suck, everything about Ottawa does. I look forward to seeing what a great talent like Karlsson can do for a team deserving of him.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
not true. We can make it work

Not sure if you're just saying that just because you're named Mr. Positive.

If they'd be willing to take a futures heavy deal from the Oil (and we can negotiate an extension), maybe....

To OTT: Benning (salary/roster purposes), Bouchard (see him as a Kris Letang type D), Yamamoto (played on a line with Tkachuk at WJC), 2019 1st

To EDM: Karlsson

Salary works for this year with Sekera's LTIR (including a Nurse bridge). Both Sekera and Russell have their NMC's turn to limited in the summer, we can trade them both then (likely with sweeteners attached).

With Russel I'm 99% sure we'd be able to get a suitor for Russel if we ate 1M of salary for the remaining 2 years of his contract. I think we could get a 2nd.

With Sekera things would be harder. 2 years in a row having suffered major injuries during the off-season meaning 2 straight years removed from seeing him play hockey at the level you'd expect out of a top 4 d-man. He'd be a hard sell. A really hard sell, I think. He'll be 33.

Call me crazy, but I feel like there's too much risk. We've got really bad depth in our prospect pool and trading our two best prospects isn't going to help things much.

I'd rather stay out of the Karlsson sweepstakes and still go ahead with trading Russell to create needed cap space to fill other needs. If we do what you propose if Karlsson is signed long term with the Oilers we're probably making the playoffs, but things aren't going to get much easier for us for quite a while.

For things to go well for us Lucic is either going to have to return to his Boston form or he's going to have to accept the Oilers stating that he isn't healthy so that we can write off the remaining years of his contract so that we can put his cap space to use. If Sekera doesn't suffer some injury which stops him from playing the 19/20 season, he'll probably look like a top 4 d-man again and he'll be easier to be traded but not likely by a whole lot because he'll either end up playing on the 3rd pairing behind Nurse and Klefbom or he'll get moved to the right side when he's playing better... where he doesn't play nearly as well.

Then again, Klefbom could get hurt with another freak injury which of course would have nothing to do with any previous injuries allowing Sekera to move up to the 2nd pairing. :facepalm:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Its not a fit for cap reasons but imagine if ek comes to TO, hahahaha hf will burn

With as close as Karlsson is with a lot of the old Swedish Red Wings I would be stunned if he considered for more than a few seconds playing for Babcock. Keep in mind a couple of his closest friends are Zetterberg and Filppula... Guys that have no love lost for Babcock.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
With as close as Karlsson is with a lot of the old Swedish Red Wings I would be stunned if he considered for more than a few seconds playing for Babcock. Keep in mind a couple of his closest friends are Zetterberg and Filppula... Guys that have no love lost for Babcock.
See this is just shit man I'm not buying that at all. Without babs does Z get a cup in 2008? Doubt it. This whole idea of "we don't want a coach that presses us hard" is just a joke in my eyes. Sounds like something cry baby eichel would say, not zetterberg.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
See this is just **** man I'm not buying that at all. Without babs does Z get a cup in 2008? Doubt it. This whole idea of "we don't want a coach that presses us hard" is just a joke in my eyes. Sounds like something cry baby eichel would say, not zetterberg.

This wasn't a state secret even before his time in Detroit ended. You can say what you want about it, but Bobby Mac and several other industry heavyweights alluded to this for several years. There is no love lost between the old guard that did win the cup with him at least not yet. I think it would be foolish considering how close we know he is with several of them that Karlsson hasn't heard Babcock is really difficult to play for. It seems pretty relevant to the discussion especially with his contract status and trade vetoing power.

You're right, they might endorse it as with cooler heads, you will hate playing for him but if you're the best team in hockey for three years he should get you a cup.... Somehow I doubt that is the message.:laugh:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Toronto and Winnipeg are the only respectable Canadian teams, though. I don’t see how they fit him under the cap.

I’m sure it’s just EK saving face

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Toronto and Winnipeg are the only respectable Canadian teams, though. I don’t see how they fit him under the cap.

I’m sure it’s just EK saving face

I don't think it's EK saving face. He doesn't have to and he knows that. The fans he's not the issue. It's reporters making crap up for retweets and followers.

He wants to stay in Ottawa. He's made that pretty clear. But he also wants a fair deal and to play for a solid organization with a bright future (sooner rather than later). That last part is the issue and likely will be until Melnyk sells. And if that doesn't happen soon) real soon Karl is gone. Probably for a bad return too, because Melnyk and Dorion.

:help:

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
There is no single reason. He wants to leave for many reasons. Literally no one but Sens fans think he is staying. Why would he unless this season the team rebounds and the Owner sells the team?
His wife is from Ottawa and so is her family, with whom she's super close. EK and her have more than one Ottawa-based charity (one that is brand new) that they have spear-headed. His best friend and mentor is in Ottawa. He has serious ties here.

Reactions: Supermassive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad