Speculation: Karlsson back in Ottawa/Montreal

HABSFTW

Jun 19, 2007
Thunder Bay
Money and term are a concern with someone just coming off groin surgery. That said, Montreal's PP was so bad last year, I dreaded when they went on it and would rather watch them play at even strength.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Exactly. Takes 8 hours to come back from SJ but it takes 1 hour from Buffalo, 70 minutes from NJ, 80 from Boston, 100 from Detroit, etc. edit: 45 from Mtl

Sabers/ Leafs are already out. Dont see Jersey or Bruins interested at all. Doesnt fit in Detroit as well.

Between Habs, Sens, Isles, Rangers for me

Habs: I think they will be more focused on a C.

Sens: People are not thinking into this as much as they should be. I think it's very possible, more than possible if all goes right... which it probably wont so next.

Isles: I see them doing something big. Just not this for some reason. Dont have a reason why...

Rangers is my best guess. Has Hank over there. Very promising team to be, would be huge to have a leader on defense to help them along the way

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Dude that is such a blatant lie lmao. What are you trying to prove with a statement like that.

I'm not gonna comment on his first one, but the second one isn't impossible. Do you know guys who took 40-50 min to get out of the parking lot because they didn't get a good spot? I do. Two of them on different nights. Now add the slow out to wherever he lives in the South end and let's consider Barrhaven (closer than Manotick, right? I bet he doesn't live in Kemptville) and you're pushing an hour and a half, going on two hours on a bad snow night in January. Let her rip from Montreal to Anderson Rd exit in the Fall with no snow on the ground, and I bet you can do this under two hours. Not impossible.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Sabres/ Leafs are already out. Dont see Jersey or Bruins interested at all. Doesnt fit in Detroit as well.

Between Habs, Sens, Isles, Rangers for me

Habs: I think they will be more focused on a C.

Sens: People are not thinking into this as much as they should be. I think it's very possible, more than possible if all goes right... which it probably wont so next.

Isles: I see them doing something big. Just not this for some reason. Dont have a reason why...

Rangers is my best guess. Has Hank over there. Very promising team to be, would be huge to have a leader on defense to help them along the way

Why would the Habs be focused on a C?? lol

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Why would the Habs be focused on a C?? lol

Just personally feel they would rather go after Duchene over Karlsson (plus a few other solid names out there in UFA, who knows ) and that they are not quite done there yet. Yeah they could definitely use a D. Idk something just makes me feel like they wouldn't be hellbent for Karlsson

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Just personally feel they would rather go after Duchene over Karlsson (plus a few other solid names out there in UFA, who knows ) and that they are not quite done there yet. Yeah they could definitely use a D. Idk something just makes me feel like they wouldn't be hellbent for Karlsson

Duchene is a nice to have but with Domi, Kotkaniemi and Danault, we are set at C.

With EK, it fixes a lot of things and opens up a trade of Petry for a LHD or shifting Petry to the left side. It solves a ton of problems.

Duchene doesn't solve anything - its just a nice to have.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Why would Karlsson do that? If his intentions are to leave than i don't see him doing a sign and trade. That would only hurt him and the team he's going to.

Here's why it benefits each of the 3 parties...

* Acquiring team (e.g. Rangers): they get that 8th year to amortize the total contract amount, which results in a lower AAV.
* Karlsson: obvious gets an 8 yr deal
* Sharks; obvious, they'll get some return instead of nothing

The above scenario only works, of course, if there a multiple teams willing to offer 7 year deals.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Mmmmm not sure about Karlsson especially now...

His speed is not the same since 2 seasons because of his injuries...and now a groin surgery...ouch.

Plus he is 29 already.

Karlsson with less speed....what's left??...his vision.... that's it...

A contract of more than 4 seasons is crazy right now..

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
A Karlsson with less speed will thrive in Montreal, he would be the solution for our PP and would automatically makes the Habs a playoffs team. You can’t pass on a player of that caliber just because you have Weber and Petry? Petry can play LD. You could have Petry-Karlsson as the first pair and Mete-Weber as the 2nd pair.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
A Karlsson with less speed will thrive in Montreal, he would be the solution for our PP and would automatically makes the Habs a playoffs team. You can’t pass on a player of that caliber just because you have Weber and Petry? Petry can play LD. You could have Petry-Karlsson as the first pair and Mete-Weber as the 2nd pair.
Habs tried Petry on the left in the past and that experiment failed.

Doubt they want to try that again.

I wouldn't say no to EK but at 9.5-10 mill tops. And 6 years no more.

attachetatuque

un gros bonhomme!
Feb 1, 2013
BRENNAN: This time, Karlsson might be more inclined to consider Senators’ offer

Only speculations of course ("a well-connected source"), and I would be really surprised to see him going back in Ottawa after last year debacle, at least while Dorion is the GM.

I think the NYR would be the best fit, but Montreal is an intriguing idea. The Habs would have to get rid of Petry for sure, but I'm pretty sure they could get a excellent offer for him.
Tons of cap space in montreal, they wouldnt need to get rid of Petry to fit him in

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Rangers are likely out on Karlsson. Gorton has his hands full trying to clear up the logjam we have on defense, and already have a ton of deadweight money tied up in Shattenkirk, Staal and Smith. Skjei and DeAngelo are locks for top 4 minutes, and finding ice time for Hajek, Lindgren and now Rykov and Fox is a priority. Pionk somewhere in the mix as well, but should be moved for whatever at the draft.

And on top of that giant mess, we are going to add Karlsson and his 25 minutes a night and ~$11 million cap hit??

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

* Acquiring team (e.g. Rangers): they get that 8th year to amortize the total contract amount, which results in a lower AAV.

The above scenario only works, of course, if there a multiple teams willing to offer 7 year deals.

Sign and trades dont happen in the NHL, and this really only benefits the Sharks. This is only a cheap tactic on your part to try and get value out of a player that is walking.

I dont see the 8th year being that relevant to either Karlsson or the team he would be getting traded to. Certainly not a make or break mountain to die on deal breaker.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
If he is healthy every team should be in on Erik Karlson.

You make room. It’s simple.

Of course if he is the EK of this years playoffs ugh.

It really comes down to what your docs think.

Do teams get copies of medical reports on UFA?

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Sign and trades dont happen in the NHL, and this really only benefits the Sharks. This is only a cheap tactic on your part to try and get value out of a player that is walking.

I dont see the 8th year being that relevant to either Karlsson or the team he would be getting traded to. Certainly not a make or break mountain to die on deal breaker.

Ah what you're calling a cheap tactic is simply asset management.

Never said it's likely to happen. Just presented a feasible though unlikely scenario. The only team it would make sense with is the Lightning and if its them vs. Rangers or Habs in a bidding war and the term goes to 7 yrs from all teams...

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

I'm not the biggest Karlsson fan but i'd much rather have him over Duchene. We're fine at C w/ Domi/Danault/Kotkaniemi/Poehling/Suzuki (not ideal but C isn't a pressing issue anymore), we have a much bigger need for a PP QB, we've had a big hole there since Markov left.

Reactions: CDN24

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Only way it benefits Karlsson is if 8 yrs was the most important thing.I very well doubt it is. A happy wife and a shot at the cup would be IMO
I think that Karlsson would rather take a 7yr deal to the team of his choice and try to help them/himself win a cup not try to destroy their/his chances with a trade.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

As an acquiring team I would try to avoid that 8th year like plague. Rather pay his worth now than give him such term.

Neonmile

May 9, 2010
Laval
If I was the Habs, I would absolutely give him 11-12 millions for 5 or 6 years. He's Erik freaking Karlsson. He's the best defenseman of his generation. This is not an overpay. Players of this caliber pretty much never become available for nothing but cap space. If it's true he is interested in Montreal, you go for it, sign him for whatever it takes and figure out the roster and salary cap later. I mean he is better and younger than their two best d-men right, now, they need D and, above all, an elite players. Kind of a no-brainer here.

And even thought his peaks years are behind him by the simple fact that he's 29, i'm not worried about his longevity. Age come for everybody but players of his caliber start from so high that they remain elite/top-end even in their mid-30's. I'm not overtly worried about his injuries either. Guys like Niedemayer and Pronger also had stretches in their 20's were they dealt with notable injuries but it stopped and they were fine for the rest of their careers. (Somewhat for Pronger). Heck we Habs fan should know, Markov had a harsher streak of injuries at and older age and then was fine once it was over.

I also would not try to trade Petry if he really land in Montreal. (Putting Weber on the market would be wiser anyway but Bergevin would never do it.) Keep all three on their natural side, with the odd shift on the left, and have a honest to god top pairing guy (maybe even three #1) out there for pretty much every minutes of your game. See what it bring you before trying to trade one of the other two.

The one caveat is I don't think this enough to make the Habs a true contender. But if your goal is to be as competitive as possible while the Price-Weber window is still open, its a hell of a boost.

Reactions: Slimmy and lilmaxo

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
If I was the Habs, I would absolutely give him 11-12 millions for 5 or 6 years. He's Erik freaking Karlsson. He's the best defenseman of his generation. This is not an overpay. Players of this caliber pretty much never become available for nothing but cap space. If it's true he is interested in Montreal, you go for it, sign him for whatever it takes and figure out the roster and salary cap later. I mean he is better and younger than their two best d-men right, now, they need D and, above all, an elite players. Kind of a no-brainer here.

And even thought his peaks years are behind him by the simple fact that he's 29, i'm not worried about his longevity. Age come for everybody but players of his caliber start from so high that they remain elite/top-end even in their mid-30's. I'm not overtly worried about his injuries either. Guys like Niedemayer and Pronger also had stretches in their 20's were they dealt with notable injuries but it stopped and they were fine for the rest of their careers. (Somewhat for Pronger). Heck we Habs fan should know, Markov had a harsher streak of injuries at and older age and then was fine once it was over.

I also would not try to trade Petry if he really land in Montreal. (Putting Weber on the market would be wiser anyway but Bergevin would never do it.) Keep all three on their natural side, with the odd shift on the left, and have a honest to god top pairing guy (maybe even three #1) out there for pretty much every minutes of your game. See what it bring you before trying to trade one of the other two.

The one caveat is I don't think this enough to make the Habs a true contender. But if your goal is to be as competitive as possible while the Price-Weber window is still open, its a hell of a boost.

You're crazy if you think Karlsson is gonna sign a 5 or 6 year deal as a UFA..

Reactions: Lolonegoal

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Dude that is such a blatant lie lmao. What are you trying to prove with a statement like that.

Are you calling me a liar?
For what part? I can certainly leave YUL and get to YOW in the time a plane flies from Philly to Ottawa including ground time taxiing waiting for take of clearance etc.
Getting back from game. I have left Bell Centre at the end of a game at made it back home at 11:40 PM. I have left games at CTC and got home at 11:55 after spending an hour plus in that damn parking lot.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If he is healthy every team should be in on Erik Karlson.

You make room. It’s simple.

Of course if he is the EK of this years playoffs ugh.

It really comes down to what your docs think.

Do teams get copies of medical reports on UFA?

I imagine they can request one. They can also put a stipulation in that he has to be able to pass some tests once he's recovered, otherwise the contract is nullified.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Karlson is the contract that’s going to be regrettable quickly. Whoever signs him is in trouble

Depends on term.

If it's true teams are apprehensive to offer 7 years, I could see Karlsson opting for 5 years instead of 6 because 6 makes him have to sign a 35+ contract. (Assuming my math is correct)

I don't think a lot of people watched him once he got going in San Jose after the first 15 or so games passed. Once he figured out how to fit in, he was dominant. If it's 5 years, that's a perfectly fine risk to take to get that player.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Habs tried Petry on the left in the past and that experiment failed.

Doubt they want to try that again.

I wouldn't say no to EK but at 9.5-10 mill tops. And 6 years no more.

Petry just practiced for one or two days on the left side with Weber, he never actually played the left side in any games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad