Speculation: Karlsson back in Ottawa/Montreal

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
There will be no trading of his rights to the East. Sharks will forfeit a 1st rounder if they do.

The eastern-conference-trade-prevention condition was based on whether he was on the reserve list of an eastern conference NHL club during the 18-19 season.

I do believe that has already been considered not-met. I do not believe his rights transfer to a team after the season is complete meets the condition (even if the NHL fiscal year technically runs until June 30).

I do believe them doing the sign-and-trade would make them give up a second as per the other conditional clause of the deal (first if they make the cup final and re-sign, second if their season ends before the cup final and they re-sign him).

Last edited:

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I'd be pretty cautious with karlsson now. like an earlier poster stated, the injuries are mounting and it's been predominantly lower body. Karlssons hockey iq can make up for it for a number of years, however after the first groin injury you're more seceptipble for another. Either way, I'd still hate to see even a 80% karlsson back in the division to face the buds. Kills us every single time.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
There will be no trading of his rights to the East. Sharks will forfeit a 1st rounder if they do.

You're forgetting the Sens are in the East, and can easily make a trade for EK65 without the Sharks giving up the 1st round conditional pick.

Will it happen? I doubt it. Can a 3-way trade involving the Sens happen where the Sharks don't give up their conditional pick? I doubt it as well.

But with DW, never say absolutely never. He seems to like making deals more so than winning the cup. I think he's satisfied with that legacy.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Petry just practiced for one or two days on the left side with Weber, he never actually played the left side in any games.
Hence the experiment failed.

He never got to play the left. Pretty sure it's because he either was not effective on the left and coaching saw that or he just plain said No, don't want to do it.

Either, Petry on the left is not an option!

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
I would love Karlsson to the Habs. Now that they’re solid at C, defence becomes the biggest concern. If Bergevin adds Karlsson and finds a way to pry Brodie away from Calgary who need to make room under the cap to sign Tkachuk, Montreal is suddenly a VERY competitive team.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
That all may be true. But even setting aside the animosity, I don’t see how the economics work because:

- EM can’t afford a market competitive contract with a NTC
- EK doesn’t trust EM not to trade him
- EK won’t play for the discount it would take to get EM to include a NTC

Which one of these gives?

It basically only works if EK's need to be in Ottawa geographically eviscerated all his leverage.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
How do they do that though. They also gotta sign point don't they? Not saying they can't, just wondering, who are the most likely casualties?
Callahan, obviously, and one or two of either JT Miller, Yanni Gourde, Ondrej Palat, or Tyler Johnson. Johnson and Palat would need to Okay a trade but the other two can be moved anywhere as long as it happens before July 1.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'd be pretty cautious with karlsson now. like an earlier poster stated, the injuries are mounting and it's been predominantly lower body. Karlssons hockey iq can make up for it for a number of years, however after the first groin injury you're more seceptipble for another. Either way, I'd still hate to see even a 80% karlsson back in the division to face the buds. Kills us every single time.

I think the achilles thing should be as long forgotten as bergerons concussion, Crosby's neck, Markovs knee. The guy came back from it won the Norris and almost a took the sens to a cup final.

As for the foot thing:

“I wouldn’t call it pain,” Karlsson said according to Brennan. “I can’t say that it feels normal, but it’s no sharpness or anything that’s going to affect me.
“It feels like I have a leather piece in my one ankle. You can’t really move it. It’s going to take some getting used to. I feel I can manage it pretty well right now. Hopefully it’s just going to get better and better.”

Doesn't worry me either

And the groin. No. I just don't see it being a big deal. A player/analyst on TSN said ( I'm paraphrasing but...) "Yeah I've had the same surgery. Came back and played 8 years. Didn't bother me a bit"

For me it's settled. Erik Karlsson would be a historic signing

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
It basically only works if EK's need to be in Ottawa geographically eviscerated all his leverage.

But how low would the number have to be for EM to include full NTC? 5-6 mil?? Can’t see that happening with EK.

Because without NTC...what’s the point in eviscerating your leverage.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I think the achilles thing should be as long forgotten as bergerons concussion, Crosby's neck, Markovs knee. The guy came back from it won the Norris and almost a took the sens to a cup final.

As for the foot thing:

“I wouldn’t call it pain,” Karlsson said according to Brennan. “I can’t say that it feels normal, but it’s no sharpness or anything that’s going to affect me.
“It feels like I have a leather piece in my one ankle. You can’t really move it. It’s going to take some getting used to. I feel I can manage it pretty well right now. Hopefully it’s just going to get better and better.”

Doesn't worry me either

And the groin. No. I just don't see it being a big deal. A player/analyst on TSN said ( I'm paraphrasing but...) "Yeah I've had the same surgery. Came back and played 8 years. Didn't bother me a bit"

For me it's settled. Erik Karlsson would be a historic signing
It was the Achilles, then the ankle, now the groin. I'm not knocking karlsson as a player. There is however a direct correlation between lower body injuries and losing wheels. Karlsson is one of the best skaters in the league but how long can that stay the same way? Like I said, his hockey iq is still excellent; I don't however expect him to be Norris calibre again. I'd love to be wrong, sure. As for your analyst, pretty much every single one played in the late 90s early 2000s where the game was more clutch and grab- where speed wasn't as much of a requirement as today's game.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Not sure how much it means, but EK is still very close to Alfie, who’s been rumoured to be part of an ownership group or in a management position for some time. Apparently Karlsson didn’t think he would be traded late in the summer last year because he thought a sale was close and Alfie would be part of the group. If that’s the case, he’s clearly keeping him in the loop.

Not saying it means much, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see him sign a shorter-term deal with a team like Tampa in the meantime.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
If he doesn't want to get paid, he can come back.

Montreal is a better shot, than Ottawa, but I think they will have to dump a little something to accomodate him.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Man if the Habs can sign EK and pull a trade for a LD... for example Ekholm, this team automatically becomes so much more balanced and better.

PP is improved, Defense is improved, overall offense is improved.

Getter done Gergevin!!

Reactions: xxsciroccoxx

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

So you're saying there's a chance? Almost zero > zero.

At first, it made no sense to ask for a competitive bid from a team with almost zero chance, but then I thought of Tavares.

Tavares likely had little thoughts of going somewhere other than Toronto, but still needed to gauge his value in the free market.

So if this rumor is true, EK65 has somewhere in mind, but needs to gauge his value in the free market.

stanley25

Jun 15, 2009
Still not enough. Look at what we got for 1 year of Steve Mason. Multiply that by 2 or 3, to accommodate 3 years of Alzner.
I never understood why we bought out steve mason. We had so much cap room that we knew we weren't going to use. Why not just tell him to stay home.

Dumb move by management.

Last edited:

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta

So you're saying there's a chance? Almost zero > zero.

You don't know shit. Claire, go back up on the altar.
961.jpg

Reactions: stanley25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad